Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Andy is offline

Default Small engine repair question

On Aug 5, 8:18 pm, LSMFT wrote:

Oil cap don't fit? Is it supposed to be tight or is it a breather cap?

Andy comments

Thanks to all for their advice.

B&S only makes one model of outboard motor.

As I mentioned, the oil level is correct.

The oil filler cap is NOT a tight fit. It never
has been. The dipstick is part of it and it
is the original issue.

The engine has splash lubrication just like
a lawnmore engine, so there are no "channels"
to get clogged.

It worked fine when I stored it 6 months ago.

There is no reason to suspect that it has anything
to do with wasps nests under the flywheel or leaves
in the cowling.....Those would cause more of a
cooling problem, and it isn't running long enough
for the engine to get hot.

I think I will take off the cover of the crankcase
breather and soak it in gas for a while.

If that works, I'll report back here so we all can
see if that was the solution.

Andy in Eureka, Texas