Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Small engine repair question

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 01:12:04 -0700, Andy wrote:
The engine has splash lubrication just like a lawnmore engine, so there
are no "channels" to get clogged.

Hmm, the ones I've seen have splash lubrication for the piston, crank
etc. - but there are still a couple of small channels between the
flywheel end bearing and the valve chest, and then from the valve chest
down into the sump. I do think it's unlikely that they'd get jammed
though - or if they did, that it'd cause the problem you're seeing.

I think I will take off the cover of the crankcase breather and soak it
in gas for a while.

Or just loosen it where the breather/filter bolts to the engine (for the
larger engines the breather also forms the valve chest cover, but that
may not be true on yours); you won't make much of a mess in just a few
seconds' running.

If you do clean it, test by blowing through it...

cheers

Jules