Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mini-Fridges

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Geeze in Florida the temp can hit 110 or mo-((
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:35*am, Han wrote:
Bob Villa wrote in news:cec44789-8d28-428d-b7a6-
:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Real beer should not be colder than 10°C (=50°F). *American beer, that's a
different story.

Well, maybe YMMV ...

--
Best regards
Han

I would say 50 is cool...not cold. It sounds as though you're saying
our beer needs to be cold...so it numbs the tastes buds? I hope
that's not the case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 7:47*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 5, 6:35*am, Han wrote:

Bob Villa wrote in news:cec44789-8d28-428d-b7a6-
:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Real beer should not be colder than 10°C (=50°F). *American beer, that's a
different story.

Well, maybe YMMV ...

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

I would say 50 is cool...not cold. *It sounds as though you're saying
our beer needs to be cold...so it numbs the tastes buds? *I hope
that's not the case.

"I hope that's not the case."

....or the six pack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 5:36*am, Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

What is the efficency of those units.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote in
:

American beer, that's a different story.

You obviously have never tried any of the many excellent American
microbrews that are out there.

Most of the mainstream European beers I've tried (and there have been many)
are about as bland and humdrum as most of the mainstream American beers.
Heineken? Becks? Blah.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Bob Villa wrote in
:

On Aug 5, 6:35*am, Han wrote:
Bob Villa wrote in
:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware
of their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature
by 40 degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Real beer should not be colder than 10°C (=50°F). *American beer,

that's a different story.

Well, maybe YMMV ...

I would say 50 is cool...not cold. It sounds as though you're saying
our beer needs to be cold...so it numbs the tastes buds? I hope
that's not the case.

That was an implied sarcastic smiley, Bob.
I'm Dutch by origin, and Dad used to store the beer in the cool cellar.
Ice-cold beer was a nono. Here in the US, it's a different story,
probaby in part because of taste, partly because it is usually hotter
here. I'm easily adaptable (in some respects), and definitely NOT a beer
connoisseur.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

How odd.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:05*am, ransley wrote:
On Aug 5, 5:36*am, Bob Villa wrote:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

What is the efficency of those units.

"What is the efficency of those units"

I can't answer that directly, but I'll toss out this "tip"....

When I bought a small (5 cu ft) freezer I was told that they operate
most efficiently when filled to about 3/4 capacity. It's related to
air circulation.

I assume the same applies to any cooling device appliance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 5, 6:35=A0am, Han wrote:
Bob Villa wrote in news:cec44789-8d28-428d-b7a6-
:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Real beer should not be colder than 10C (50F). American beer, that's a
different story.

Well, maybe YMMV ...

I would say 50 is cool...not cold. It sounds as though you're saying
our beer needs to be cold...so it numbs the tastes buds? I hope
that's not the case.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. Mainstream American beers (Bud, Busch,
Miller, Michelob, etc.) really aren't all that good when compared to decent
European beers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:38*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 5, 8:05*am, ransley wrote:

On Aug 5, 5:36*am, Bob Villa wrote:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

What is the efficency of those units.

"What is the efficency of those units"

I can't answer that directly, but I'll toss out this "tip"....

When I bought a small (5 cu ft) freezer I was told that they operate
most efficiently when filled to about 3/4 capacity. It's related to
air circulation.

I assume the same applies to any cooling device appliance.

I'd be inclined to think it was related to the stuff in it. It's the
stuff that stays cool, air doesn't hold a lot of heat. You only need
to remove .02 btus from a cubic foot of air to lower it a degree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:56*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Bob Villa wrote:

On Aug 5, 6:35=A0am, Han wrote:
Bob Villa wrote in news:cec44789-8d28-428d-b7a6-
:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Real beer should not be colder than 10C (50F). American beer, that's a
different story.

Well, maybe YMMV ...

I would say 50 is cool...not cold. *It sounds as though you're saying
our beer needs to be cold...so it numbs the tastes buds? *I hope
that's not the case.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. Mainstream American beers (Bud, Busch,
Miller, Michelob, etc.) really aren't all that good when compared to decent
European beers.- Hide quoted text -

I don't find a lot of the high volume beers here or in europe to be
all that good. One exception I find decent personaly is Yuengling,
but that may not be something everyone agrees with. US microbeers are
another story, I find a number of them are pretty good. When in
europe I always inquire from the pub/bar owner and find that most
everywhere I can get good local beers. Sometimes not so in the big
cities like Paris, London, etc. but always in the countryside. I'm
not a fan of the real heavy beers like Guiness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't make that assumption. Some chest freezers do not use air
circulation. And therefore, most efficient when cram full.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

When I bought a small (5 cu ft) freezer I was told that they operate
most efficiently when filled to about 3/4 capacity. It's related to
air circulation.

I assume the same applies to any cooling device appliance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Little fridges are just a little bit better than nothing. I have one of the
smaller ones in my container, and it definitely does bring down the
temperature more than 40 degrees, so I must have a different type than you
are referring to. Temps inside reach the 120 range, and I can always go
pull a really cold bottle out. I have to watch it, and not set it too low,
or it freezes the water. I'll get a regular one soon as I start brewing
beer. Maybe five.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 9:42*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Bob Villa" wrote in message

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Little fridges are just a little bit better than nothing. *I have one of the
smaller ones in my container, and it definitely does bring down the
temperature more than 40 degrees, so I must have a different type than you
are referring to. *Temps inside reach the 120 range, and I can always go
pull a really cold bottle out. *I have to watch it, and not set it too low,
or it freezes the water. *I'll get a regular one soon as I start brewing
beer. *Maybe five.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

There are two basic designs. The ones that use a heat source to
circulate the refrigerant and ones that use a small compressor. The
first style is a lot cheaper but not as effective. The second is just
a small version of your big fridge.

I have the later in my bar. I like the fact that I can put a ton of
stuff in it warm and not care about raising the temp of food stored in
it cause there is no food in it. When you load a bunch of drinks in
your home fridge it can raise the temp of the surrounding items for a
while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2010 5:36 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. It
may not be the type you refer to however.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 03:36:50 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

They are hardly worth the money. In addition to the Peltier limits of
above all the ones I have seen will never run 24/7 like a standard
frige.

Air flow is a must for the Peltier type. The air path easily clogs
with dust and the transfer efficiency goes down rapidly. The fan
bushings will start to drag and further reduce the air flow and
efficiency.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 2:20*pm, "Grumpy" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Aug 5, 5:36 am, Bob Villa wrote:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

What is the efficency of those units.= Very poor

Not neccesarily, many don't use much electricity. I remember a really
old one that used a regular incandesent light bulb for heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 8/5/2010 5:36 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. It
may not be the type you refer to however.

--
Steve Barker

That confuses me, too. I have one like yours that will freeze stuff if you
have it set too cold. The statement by the poster seems to infer that all
little reefers are this way. I seem to recall that ammonia refrigerators in
RVs have some limitations like that, but then, the Dometics will freeze
stuff, and the fridges I have had in all my RVs kept stuff cold.

Go figger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 10:23*am, Steve Barker wrote:
Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. *It
may not be the type you refer to however.

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.

He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use
a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really
hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical
current is passed through it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 10:01*am, wrote:
On Aug 5, 10:23*am, Steve Barker wrote:

Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. *It
may not be the type you refer to however.

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.

He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use
a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really
hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical
current is passed through it.

The one I have is a Haier ($49@Target) 2 fans, 2 Peltiers,
thermostat,white LED interior light,1.7cf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

You can stack 2 peltier coolers to get 80 degrees difference, 3 for
120... that is good for operation upside down or any direction, even
good for zero gravity. Down on earth staying upright it's a lot cheaper
to use the old fangled compressor systems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Aug 5, 10:23 am, Steve Barker wrote:
Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. It
may not be the type you refer to however.

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.

He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use
a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really
hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical
current is passed through it.

reply: Thank you for your very good description. I thought we must be
talking about two very different things.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

You can stack 2 peltier coolers to get 80 degrees difference, 3 for 120...
that is good for operation upside down or any direction, even good for
zero gravity. Down on earth staying upright it's a lot cheaper to use the
old fangled compressor systems.

On the outlet, does it make any difference in the performance whether you
put the ground pin up or down on the 3 prong plugs?

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Aug 5, 2:20 pm, "Grumpy" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Aug 5, 5:36 am, Bob Villa wrote:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

What is the efficency of those units.= Very poor

Not neccesarily, many don't use much electricity. I remember a really
old one that used a regular incandesent light bulb for heat.

I think you are mistaken, he said it was the Peltier type. I don't know
what they call the ones that use heat to cool. But I hear they work
great with some sun and a magnifying glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
Bob Villa wrote:
If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

You can stack 2 peltier coolers to get 80 degrees difference, 3 for 120...
that is good for operation upside down or any direction, even good for
zero gravity. Down on earth staying upright it's a lot cheaper to use the
old fangled compressor systems.

On the outlet, does it make any difference in the performance whether you
put the ground pin up or down on the 3 prong plugs?

Of course it does! Just follow NEC. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 10:01 am, wrote:
On Aug 5, 10:23 am, Steve Barker wrote:

Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. It
may not be the type you refer to however.

It's probably a conventional "dormitory" fridge with a compressor.

He's talking about those cheap coolers with no moving parts. They use
a "Peltier" device which is an electronic component that gets really
hot on one side, and really cold on the other side when electrical
current is passed through it.

The one I have is a Haier ($49@Target) 2 fans, 2 Peltiers,
thermostat,white LED interior light,1.7cf.

EACH Peltier draws 4 amps @ 12 volts DC. FYI...ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 10:23*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/5/2010 5:36 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

If you buy a thermo-electric (Peltier type) mini fridge, *be aware of
their limitations: they can only lower the ambient temperature by 40
degrees.
(Don't expect cold beer when it's in a 90 deg. garage) : (

Our little mini will freeze stuff solid if you turn it down too far. *It
may not be the type you refer to however.

--
Steve Barker

I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for
use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of
water (in the freezer section) overnight.

The hotel wanted $10/day plus standard "hotel" taxes to rent one from
them. The same goes for a microwave. I bought a MW from a college
student for $10 off Craig's list.

a.h.r. relate:

When he got the fridge back the freezer compartment was attached to
the roof of the fridge with 4 screws, not 1, there was a shelf
separating the top section from the bottom section, and the rod that
holds things on the door shelf was replaced. I didn't spend a dime,
everything I needed was lying around the house.

Kids these days...don't they know how to fix *anything*?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can stack 2 peltier coolers to get 80 degrees difference, 3 for
120... that is good for operation upside down or any direction, even
good for zero gravity. Down on earth staying upright it's a lot cheaper
to use the old fangled compressor systems.

Are there any consumer available stacked peltier coolers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

tell the hotel you have celiac disease. there's a federal law that states
they have to provide you with a fridge for free if one is available in any
room, or move you to a room that has one even if it's an upgrade.

a.h.r. relate:

When he got the fridge back the freezer compartment was attached to
the roof of the fridge with 4 screws, not 1, there was a shelf
separating the top section from the bottom section, and the rod that
holds things on the door shelf was replaced. I didn't spend a dime,
everything I needed was lying around the house.

Kids these days...don't they know how to fix *anything*?

reply:

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for
use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of
water (in the freezer section) overnight.

More years ago than I care to admit, I can recall the "mini-cool" truck parked
in front of the dorm complex doing a land office business renting 1cf dorm
fridges off the tailgate for something like $25/semester. That was when they
sold for over $200 new. Nowdays I've seen them for $50 new in the August sales.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 5:24*pm, "chaniarts" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...lying to get a fridge for free. Isn't that kind of like
stealing?

I wonder if there are any federal laws about lying to obtain the
benefits of a federal law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 8:30*pm, Robert Neville wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for
use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of
water (in the freezer section) overnight.

More years ago than I care to admit, I can recall the "mini-cool" truck parked
in front of the dorm complex doing a land office business renting 1cf dorm
fridges off the tailgate for something like $25/semester. That was when they
sold for over $200 new. Nowdays I've seen them for $50 new in the August sales.

At that rate it would take them at least 4 years to recoup their $200,
excluding summers. More if you include maintenance, swaps for broken
unit, salary for the owner/employee, storage, gas, etc.

Doesn't sound like a very good business plan to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I recently borrowed my son's roomate's mini-mini dorm sized fridge for
use in a hotel room for a week. Compressor style. It froze a bottle of
water (in the freezer section) overnight.

More years ago than I care to admit, I can recall the "mini-cool" truck parked
in front of the dorm complex doing a land office business renting 1cf dorm
fridges off the tailgate for something like $25/semester. That was when they
sold for over $200 new. Nowdays I've seen them for $50 new in the August sales.

At that rate it would take them at least 4 years to recoup their $200,
excluding summers. More if you include maintenance, swaps for broken
unit, salary for the owner/employee, storage, gas, etc.

Doesn't sound like a very good business plan to me.

Uh, the rental company didn't pay retail for them. You get a hell of a
discount when you buy a semi-load at a time. I remember those trucks,
and how snotty the kid on the tailgate got if you brought it back
un-defrosted.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder how many of the kids just kept the fridges when they went
home? Collecting back the fridges musta been a PIA. Since the kids
went home on different days.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

THey still rent at many schools. Some schools require you to get
their "special" microwave/fridge combo which has been altered so that
the fridge is disconnected when the microwave is used. Keeps the load
on their over used dorm electrical system down.

no-cap fridges David Lesher Electronics Repair 7 October 22nd 09 04:38 AM
Built-in fridges Peter Twydell UK diy 4 August 24th 09 04:33 PM
Ikea fridges Colin Wilson UK diy 3 March 4th 09 10:58 PM
Q: Fridges & freezers Flynn UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 10:43 AM
Q1. Fridges quisquiliae UK diy 1 January 2nd 05 06:30 PM