Posted to alt.home.repair

Default joining together sheet metal for roof

I am thinking about buying 8x10 pieces of sheetmetal, which one of my
contractors is going to be joining up. We were thinking of buying a
acetelene torch /w fuel, but that would cost around $200.
Are there other cheaper ways of joining together those pieces. My
worker (who is experienced with using a welding torch) told me that
the previous job was done with a butane torch and uses aluminum as the
joining agent. Is this common and reliable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 5:25*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
I am thinking about buying 8x10 pieces of sheetmetal, which one of my
contractors is going to be joining up. *We were thinking of buying a
acetelene torch /w fuel, but that would cost around $200.
Are there other cheaper ways of joining together those pieces. *My
worker (who is experienced with using a welding torch) told me that
the previous job was done with a butane torch and uses aluminum as the
joining agent. *Is this common and reliable?

What metal?
Very large sheets of flat metal are a bad idea on any roof as they
buckle in the heat. They are usually laid to overlap so that they can
expand and/or they are corrugated which lets them expand without undue
stresses.
Your worker's story sounds dodgy to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 12:25*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
I am thinking about buying 8x10 pieces of sheetmetal, which one of my
contractors is going to be joining up. *We were thinking of buying a
acetelene torch /w fuel, but that would cost around $200.
Are there other cheaper ways of joining together those pieces. *My
worker (who is experienced with using a welding torch) told me that
the previous job was done with a butane torch and uses aluminum as the
joining agent. *Is this common and reliable?

Google "standing seam" and you'll get a lot of hits about how to
install a metal roof. Follow the conventional techniques and you'll
be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your story doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Oxy/Acetylene equipment will cost a lot more than $200 unless you
find something used. It would not be the correct thing to use to
join sheet metal on a roof.

I doubt the previous work was done with butane and aluminum. I
suspect that it was propane and solder which is aluminum colored.
I would be VERY worried about your workman's skill and knowledge
if he told you this. A propane torch costs about $30 and could be
used to solder together sheet metal, but would not be the tool I
would use, especially on a roof with tar paper and other
flammables. Professional roofers use heavy soldering irons with
stick solder and flux.

Flat sheet metal is not normally used on a roof as it is very
difficult to hold down without putting holes in it, and is very
prone to "oil canning". Normal metal roof panels are corrugated
or formed into standing seam pans. Every effort is made to keep
fasteners hidden or water tight.

What are you trying to do? With more information perhaps someone
can help you

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I am thinking about buying 8x10 pieces of sheetmetal, which one
of my
contractors is going to be joining up. We were thinking of
buying a
acetelene torch /w fuel, but that would cost around $200.
Are there other cheaper ways of joining together those pieces.
My
worker (who is experienced with using a welding torch) told me
that
the previous job was done with a butane torch and uses aluminum
as the
joining agent. Is this common and reliable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 1:33*am, wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:53:59 -0500, "DanG" wrote:
[...]

Good way to burn the place down too....- Hide quoted text -

Yep, here's one from soldering gutters.

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2010/mar/3..._wor-ar-13853/

Sheet metal screws vs sheet rock screws.... Existential Angst Metalworking 8 June 13th 10 07:44 PM
joining plastic gutter to metal sm_jamieson UK diy 2 June 29th 09 11:40 PM
WTB Used Metal Shrinker for sheet metal work. Ebby Metalworking 0 May 21st 05 02:09 PM
sheet metal Rich Woodworking 3 February 14th 05 01:42 AM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM