Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swimming Pool Sand Filter ???

I've got a 10,000 gal. in ground pool in Central TX. Changed the sand last
year. Check the PH and chlorine daily. Shock one a week. Get my water tested
a few times a year for alkaline and hardness at the pool store. Chemically,
I stay within all the normal parameters pretty well.

I don't vacuum often but I do use a Polaris. Since the city cut all the
trees back the pool stays fairly large-debris free.

The problem: We've had an above average rainfall and the sand filter hasn't
been able to keep up on it's own. I used Clear-Floc last week and cleaned it
"sparkling clean", then it rained a couple of days ago and it's cloudy
again. I put Clear-Floc in the filter yesterday as an aid and it's building
filter pressure now. First I tried letting it settle overnight, w/o floc,
and nothing really happened. I've done that in the past, followed with a
vacuuming and it worked well, but not this time.

I don't mind using floc but I don't want to use it every time it rains. The
water looks, to me, like it has dead algae in it. I can wipe a fine layer of
dead algae off of, at least, one side of the pool daily.

Question: Should I use and algaecide to prevent the growth in the first
place? The sand filter seems to have trouble filtering, what looks like, to
me, to be the dead algae from the water.

Another question: If you suggest algaecide, what brands/types have you used?

Another question: I usually only use the vacuum (not the Polaris) when I use
Clear-Floc, but the instructions say to put the multi-valve on "waste". I
hate to do that but if it's the only way, it has to be done. Do I have to
put the valve on waste every time I vacuum "without floc"? Or do I run the
vacuum into the filter and filter out the sediment?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

Go get some stuff called PhosFree and you'll never look back.
I've been using it for acouple of years and have not used alum or any other
floculant since.
I haven't even shocked but a couple of times during the summer.
I usually just let mine go green over the winter and with using it over the
winter with NO chlorine it stayed clear all winter.
It removes phosphates from the water , no phosphates- no algae
hth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

Thanks and I think I will. I've heard someone (you?) refer to it before and
I was hoping to get the name. I'll see if I can get it locally.

You don't know anything about the vacuum question do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

That's the other beauty of using Phos Free, I have a lot less "debris" in
the bottom of the pool.
I used to just vacuum to waste before I started using PhosFree, but now I
just vaccuum, then backwash.
BTW I'm also in North Central Tejas

If you can't find it locally try here, I bought a 2 pack for 50+ bucks ( I
think)
They ship quick and you'll have it in a couple of days
http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/prod...sp?pf_id=Y5995
hth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
news
In ,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

Warehouse Pool Supply has it for $20/2ltr but they said I have to get rid of
all the algae first. They want to look at my water again too. I may have to
do the full blown floc treatment tonight and tomorrow to get it ready. This
rain is really putting a wrench in the works. I'm having a lot of trouble
building up pressure in my filter using the floc as a filter aid. I'm
wondering if floc doesn't work well as a filter aid in these high
temperatures. It's been running almost 24 hours and only gained about 6 lbs.

Thanks for the vacuum info. I hate to dump water if I don't have to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you use the "Waste" (or Drain) setting you're essentially
bypassing the filter media altogether. The stuff you're vacuuming
gets pumped out right away, nothing gets pumped back in the pool.

When you use the "Filter" setting the stuff you're vacuuming gets
filtered by the sand and then returns to the pool.

By using the "Waste" setting you're completely eliminating the flocs
from the pool water, whereas you may clog the filter if you use the
"Filter" setting.

Depending on the type of floc you use, you may need to adjust the pH
prior to adding the product. And depending on the type of floc you
use, you may also need to readjust the pool chemistry after it's done
(and after you're done vacuuming to waste and topping off the water
level).

If you have changed the sand yourself make sure you have not broken
any parts inside the filter when refilling it (they're called
"laterals"), make sure there's enough sand (and not too much) of the
correct type, and make sure you have correctly reassembled the
filter .

By maintaining enough active chlorine in the pool at all times there
is no need for algicides.

Sounds to me like a filter issue, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bork" wrote in message
When you use the "Waste" (or Drain) setting you're essentially
bypassing the filter media altogether. The stuff you're vacuuming
gets pumped out right away, nothing gets pumped back in the pool.

When you use the "Filter" setting the stuff you're vacuuming gets
filtered by the sand and then returns to the pool.

By using the "Waste" setting you're completely eliminating the flocs
from the pool water, whereas you may clog the filter if you use the
"Filter" setting.

Depending on the type of floc you use, you may need to adjust the pH
prior to adding the product. And depending on the type of floc you
use, you may also need to readjust the pool chemistry after it's done
(and after you're done vacuuming to waste and topping off the water
level).

Yeah. It says to raise it to 8 when you use the vac method but doesn't say
to raise it with the filter aid method. I've used it both ways with better
success than I'm having now as a filter aid so you maybe correct but I think
it may have something to do with the temp not dropping much at night because
that is when the pressure usually builds.

If you have changed the sand yourself make sure you have not broken
any parts inside the filter when refilling it (they're called
"laterals"), make sure there's enough sand (and not too much) of the
correct type, and make sure you have correctly reassembled the
filter .

I changed it and I checked the laterals. They are in remarkably good shape.
The insides looks almost new and it a 30+ y/o filter. If you put too much
sand in it just blows out into the pool. So too much is better than not
enough. I filled it where it is supposed to be. I'm wondering about the
quality of the sand. I just went with what the store manager gave me. Next
time I'm springing for the synthetic stuff.

By maintaining enough active chlorine in the pool at all times there
is no need for algicides.

That's what I thought but the chlorine is over if anything. I also shock
weekly. I check it daily and the pool store verifies it. So apparently you
can have algae and chlorine together. I've heard others here say the same.
I'm real interested in the Phos Free. I like the idea of eliminating algae
growth altogether

Sounds to me like a filter issue, though.

I tend to agree. that's why I'm going for the synthetic sand next time. It
also has to do with the amount of rain. I know some people just dump 1/4 of
the pool everytime it rains hard but I think I can do better than that. :-)

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
news
In ,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

I think they are just trying to sell ya more chemicals. As long as your
phoshate levels are high, you'll have algae.
I've always used alum as a floc, relatively cheap, but seems to take a
couple of weeks to see a difference
How cloudy is your pool? I'd go ahead, if its not to cloudy, and start your
intial dose of PhosFree. I use a couple capfuls every week to ten days and
haven't used ANY alum in 2 years or any other floc. Lowering the phoshate
level will not give the algae anything to grow on.
make sure to get a phosphate test kit so you can tell what your levels are.
They can never be too low
I've found the pool people try to make it more difficult than it really is
or needs to be.
Like I've already said, since using PhosFree, my pool maintance time has
been reduced by 50%.
Personally, I think using the PhosFree now will help your floc agent work
better and IT works faster than flocs. It will lower the levels in a couple
of days and you WILL see a difference
Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 12:17*pm, "JimT" wrote:

Warehouse Pool Supply has it for $20/2ltr but they said I have to get rid of
all the algae first.

That's horse****. This spring my 20K pool (IN the woods) was full of
algae, because I let myself be talked into chlorine-free closing
chemicals.

I dumped in a 3L bottle of Phosfree (in the water) and the water was
*sparkling* in 7 days. According to the label you shouldn't do that
unless your pool pro tells you to. Well, I just promoted myself.

Using too much floc can backfire and keep particles all partically
where they flow right through a sand filter, so stick with those label
directions.

Phosphates can come in the rain from agricultural fertilizer use
upwind. Pesticides are also loaded with phosphates, and soaps used to
be, but I was told by P&G that they have been banned which is why my
dishwasher detergent doesn't work for **** anymore.

Oh, and keeping your chemicals balanced does not prevent algae, IME.
Keeping the phosphates out does.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
om...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
news
In ,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

Nah...these guys are completely the opposite. They tell me not to use floc.
If they are pushing anything it's shock. I'm sure they tested the phosphates
and said I was fine but they don't have to clean my pool. The floc is
building pressure so I'll just let it run it's course. It's getting to it's
critical mass.

Right now it's real cloudy but I've been scrubbing it to get everything in
in this run. Then I'll add the Phos Free. I'll get a test kit too. Thanks
again

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gpsman" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 12:17 pm, "JimT" wrote:

I dumped in a 3L bottle of Phosfree (in the water) and the water was
*sparkling* in 7 days. snip

7 days is way too long for me. I'll have it sparkling tomorrow. I could let
it settle and vacuum it in 12 hours. I just don't want to run the waste out
of the pool and that's why I'm using the filter. The difference is a matter
of letting the garden hose for 30 or 40 min.

It's not really that big of a deal. But thanks for the input anyway. I'll
keep it in mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
om...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
news In ,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
[...]

have patience and good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"gpsman" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 12:17 pm, "JimT" wrote:

I dumped in a 3L bottle of Phosfree (in the water) and the water was
*sparkling* in 7 days. snip

7 days is way too long for me. I'll have it sparkling tomorrow. I
could let it settle and vacuum it in 12 hours. I just don't want to
run the waste out of the pool and that's why I'm using the filter.
The difference is a matter of letting the garden hose for 30 or 40
min.
It's not really that big of a deal. But thanks for the input anyway.
I'll keep it in mind.

note that he said that it was GREEN(full of algae) and it took a week.
Yours shouldn't take that long

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ChairMan" wrote in message
. ..
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"gpsman" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 12:17 pm, "JimT" wrote:

I dumped in a 3L bottle of Phosfree (in the water) and the water was
*sparkling* in 7 days. snip

7 days is way too long for me. I'll have it sparkling tomorrow. I
could let it settle and vacuum it in 12 hours. I just don't want to
run the waste out of the pool and that's why I'm using the filter.
The difference is a matter of letting the garden hose for 30 or 40
min.
It's not really that big of a deal. But thanks for the input anyway.
I'll keep it in mind.

note that he said that it was GREEN(full of algae) and it took a week.
Yours shouldn't take that long

Mines only 10k too. But 7 days?