Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan ChairMan is offline

Default Swimming Pool Sand Filter ???

In net,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
news
In ,
JimT spewed forth:
"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
I've got a 10,000 gal. in ground pool in Central TX. Changed the
sand last year. Check the PH and chlorine daily. Shock one a week.
Get my water tested a few times a year for alkaline and hardness
at the pool store. Chemically, I stay within all the normal
parameters pretty well.
I don't vacuum often but I do use a Polaris. Since the city cut
all the trees back the pool stays fairly large-debris free.

The problem: We've had an above average rainfall and the sand
filter hasn't been able to keep up on it's own. I used Clear-Floc
last week and cleaned it "sparkling clean", then it rained a
couple of days ago and it's cloudy again. I put Clear-Floc in the
filter yesterday as an aid and it's building filter pressure now.
First I tried letting it settle overnight, w/o floc, and nothing
really happened. I've done that in the past, followed with a
vacuuming and it worked well, but not this time.
I don't mind using floc but I don't want to use it every time it
rains. The water looks, to me, like it has dead algae in it. I can
wipe a fine layer of dead algae off of, at least, one side of the
pool daily.
Question: Should I use and algaecide to prevent the growth in the
first place? The sand filter seems to have trouble filtering, what
looks like, to me, to be the dead algae from the water.

Another question: If you suggest algaecide, what brands/types have
you used?
Another question: I usually only use the vacuum (not the Polaris)
when I use Clear-Floc, but the instructions say to put the
multi-valve on "waste". I hate to do that but if it's the only
way, it has to be done. Do I have to put the valve on waste every
time I vacuum "without floc"? Or do I run the vacuum into the
filter and filter out the sediment?
Jim

Go get some stuff called PhosFree and you'll never look back.
I've been using it for acouple of years and have not used alum or
any other floculant since.
I haven't even shocked but a couple of times during the summer.
I usually just let mine go green over the winter and with using it
over the winter with NO chlorine it stayed clear all winter.
It removes phosphates from the water , no phosphates- no algae
hth

Thanks and I think I will. I've heard someone (you?) refer to it
before and I was hoping to get the name. I'll see if I can get it
locally.
You don't know anything about the vacuum question do you?

That's the other beauty of using Phos Free, I have a lot less
"debris" in the bottom of the pool.
I used to just vacuum to waste before I started using PhosFree, but
now I just vaccuum, then backwash.
BTW I'm also in North Central Tejas

If you can't find it locally try here, I bought a 2 pack for 50+
bucks ( I think)
They ship quick and you'll have it in a couple of days
http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/prod...sp?pf_id=Y5995
hth

Warehouse Pool Supply has it for $20/2ltr but they said I have to get
rid of all the algae first. They want to look at my water again too.
I may have to do the full blown floc treatment tonight and tomorrow
to get it ready. This rain is really putting a wrench in the works.
I'm having a lot of trouble building up pressure in my filter using
the floc as a filter aid. I'm wondering if floc doesn't work well as
a filter aid in these high temperatures. It's been running almost 24
hours and only gained about 6 lbs.
Thanks for the vacuum info. I hate to dump water if I don't have to.

I think they are just trying to sell ya more chemicals. As long as your
phoshate levels are high, you'll have algae.
I've always used alum as a floc, relatively cheap, but seems to take a
couple of weeks to see a difference
How cloudy is your pool? I'd go ahead, if its not to cloudy, and start your
intial dose of PhosFree. I use a couple capfuls every week to ten days and
haven't used ANY alum in 2 years or any other floc. Lowering the phoshate
level will not give the algae anything to grow on.
make sure to get a phosphate test kit so you can tell what your levels are.
They can never be too low
I've found the pool people try to make it more difficult than it really is
or needs to be.
Like I've already said, since using PhosFree, my pool maintance time has
been reduced by 50%.
Personally, I think using the PhosFree now will help your floc agent work
better and IT works faster than flocs. It will lower the levels in a couple
of days and you WILL see a difference
Good luck