Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swimming Pool Sand Filter ???

I've got a 10,000 gal. in ground pool in Central TX. Changed the sand last
year. Check the PH and chlorine daily. Shock one a week. Get my water tested
a few times a year for alkaline and hardness at the pool store. Chemically,
I stay within all the normal parameters pretty well.

I don't vacuum often but I do use a Polaris. Since the city cut all the
trees back the pool stays fairly large-debris free.

The problem: We've had an above average rainfall and the sand filter hasn't
been able to keep up on it's own. I used Clear-Floc last week and cleaned it
"sparkling clean", then it rained a couple of days ago and it's cloudy
again. I put Clear-Floc in the filter yesterday as an aid and it's building
filter pressure now. First I tried letting it settle overnight, w/o floc,
and nothing really happened. I've done that in the past, followed with a
vacuuming and it worked well, but not this time.

I don't mind using floc but I don't want to use it every time it rains. The
water looks, to me, like it has dead algae in it. I can wipe a fine layer of
dead algae off of, at least, one side of the pool daily.

Question: Should I use and algaecide to prevent the growth in the first
place? The sand filter seems to have trouble filtering, what looks like, to
me, to be the dead algae from the water.

Another question: If you suggest algaecide, what brands/types have you used?

Another question: I usually only use the vacuum (not the Polaris) when I use
Clear-Floc, but the instructions say to put the multi-valve on "waste". I
hate to do that but if it's the only way, it has to be done. Do I have to
put the valve on waste every time I vacuum "without floc"? Or do I run the
vacuum into the filter and filter out the sediment?

Jim