Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Swimming Pool Sand Filter ???

"ChairMan" wrote in message
m...
In net,
JimT spewed forth:
I've got a 10,000 gal. in ground pool in Central TX. Changed the sand
last year. Check the PH and chlorine daily. Shock one a week. Get my
water tested a few times a year for alkaline and hardness at the pool
store. Chemically, I stay within all the normal parameters pretty
well.
I don't vacuum often but I do use a Polaris. Since the city cut all
the trees back the pool stays fairly large-debris free.

The problem: We've had an above average rainfall and the sand filter
hasn't been able to keep up on it's own. I used Clear-Floc last week
and cleaned it "sparkling clean", then it rained a couple of days ago
and it's cloudy again. I put Clear-Floc in the filter yesterday as an
aid and it's building filter pressure now. First I tried letting it
settle overnight, w/o floc, and nothing really happened. I've done
that in the past, followed with a vacuuming and it worked well, but
not this time.
I don't mind using floc but I don't want to use it every time it
rains. The water looks, to me, like it has dead algae in it. I can
wipe a fine layer of dead algae off of, at least, one side of the
pool daily.
Question: Should I use and algaecide to prevent the growth in the
first place? The sand filter seems to have trouble filtering, what
looks like, to me, to be the dead algae from the water.

Another question: If you suggest algaecide, what brands/types have
you used?
Another question: I usually only use the vacuum (not the Polaris)
when I use Clear-Floc, but the instructions say to put the
multi-valve on "waste". I hate to do that but if it's the only way,
it has to be done. Do I have to put the valve on waste every time I
vacuum "without floc"? Or do I run the vacuum into the filter and
filter out the sediment?
Jim

Go get some stuff called PhosFree and you'll never look back.
I've been using it for acouple of years and have not used alum or any
other floculant since.
I haven't even shocked but a couple of times during the summer.
I usually just let mine go green over the winter and with using it over
the winter with NO chlorine it stayed clear all winter.
It removes phosphates from the water , no phosphates- no algae
hth

Thanks and I think I will. I've heard someone (you?) refer to it before and
I was hoping to get the name. I'll see if I can get it locally.

You don't know anything about the vacuum question do you?