Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical safety and other questions

My basement room is going quite well but I had some questions about
electrical. My buddy left all the power on to the lights and outlets
so we could make use of them while working on the basement.

Since they don't have covers is it a safety issues to use them during
the construction phase if were careful? I just realized how easily
someone could stick their fingers in the side of these open light
switches. I've heard that with only 1 hand you are usually ok but what
if you were also standing barefoot on the concrete? I've had jolts
from electrical cords that someone decided to tape up or from using a
light switch with wet hands. Is there some kind of whole house gfi? At
the very least I'm thinking of switching out the first outlet for a
gfi because that would cover the rest in the room on that circuit?

I am covering the light switches and going to use the gfi outlet on
the panel for anything we need and shut off the rest of the power to
the room. My friend is a hvac tech with experience in electrical and
he should know better. The other friend I hired to frame the room
would have framed directly against the foundation had it not been for
my instruction to put foam in first.

Whats up with all the lack of knowledge and safety in construction
work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Spork" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you have small children, the rest of you probably know not to stick
your fingers in the outlets and switches. If you're concerned about non GFCI
protected outlets, kill the circuits and use a known GFCI protected outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Spork" wrote in message

My buddy left all the power on to the lights and outlets
so we could make use of them while working on the basement.

Since they don't have covers is it a safety issues to use them during
the construction phase if were careful? I just realized how easily
someone could stick their fingers in the side of these open light
switches.
I am covering the light switches and going to use the gfi outlet on
the panel for anything we need and shut off the rest of the power to
the room. My friend is a hvac tech with experience in electrical and
he should know better.

Whats up with all the lack of knowledge and safety in construction
work?

They know how to handle them. I've been on job sites with a receptacle
hanging loose out of the box with only a bit of tape around it too. If you
don't touch the sides, there is no danger. Nothing is going to jump out at
you. It is not in compliance with OSHA regulations, but it is done every
day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 1:46*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Spork" wrote in message

They know how to handle them. *I've been on job sites with a receptacle
hanging loose out of the box with only a bit of tape around it too. *If you
don't touch the sides, there is no danger. *Nothing is going to jump out at
you. *It is not in compliance with OSHA regulations, but it is done every
day.

I guess I am more concerned about the light switches. Going down the
basement in the dark and fumbling with the switches. Thanks for the
info and I guess i will leave the rest of the outlets on for now and
just cover the light switches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:37:39 -0700 (PDT), Spork
wrote:

I guess I am more concerned about the light switches. Going down the
basement in the dark and fumbling with the switches.

If this trip is frequent at night, pull a Motel 6 and leave a light
on. Small table lamp would be suitable.

Like a poster mentioned wrap black tape around the sides...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put the stupid plates on the switches if it worries you so much. They only
cost a couple cents each so buy some cheapos and install them Replace them
when the work is done if necessary.

"Spork" wrote in message

They know how to handle them. I've been on job sites with a receptacle
hanging loose out of the box with only a bit of tape around it too. If
you
don't touch the sides, there is no danger. Nothing is going to jump out
at
you. It is not in compliance with OSHA regulations, but it is done every
day.

I guess I am more concerned about the light switches. Going down the
basement in the dark and fumbling with the switches. Thanks for the
info and I guess i will leave the rest of the outlets on for now and
just cover the light switches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I guess I am more concerned about the light switches. Going down the
basement in the dark and fumbling with the switches.

If this trip is frequent at night, pull a Motel 6 and leave a light
on. Small table lamp would be suitable.

Like a poster mentioned wrap black tape around the sides...

OR just put the covers on and be 100% safe.

As you install drywall in a particular area, take off the cover. Often you
want to use the "plaster ears" of the outlet so you may well be advised to
turn off the power while you are pulling out the outlet/switch.

If you aren't using the plaster ears (IOW: they have already been removed)
you can use the covers meant for "handy boxes" with rounded corners.
Usually, you can fit drywall around these covers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, you can just put the covers on, then remove them when you're
hanging rock or whatever. It's a extra ten minutes, and it never
hurts to be a little bit safer.

There are construction covers that can be had, though I don't know a
source. They're slightly smaller than the box so you can rock around
them, etc. Or the metal handy box covers come close.

When installing outlets some like to put a turn of tape around the
screw terminals after wiring. Makes them a little safer with the
covers off.

I don't know why they haven't changed the design to make outlets back
wired with a plastic cover over the screws.

On Jul 25, 12:49*pm, Spork wrote:
[...]

Electrical Safety Tip (of the day) [email protected] Home Repair 10 July 11th 07 10:52 PM
Shower Electrical Safety mal UK diy 4 July 2nd 07 11:39 PM
Electrical Safety Mike Henry Metalworking 0 November 15th 05 03:14 PM
Electrical Safety RayV Woodworking 11 August 25th 05 07:45 PM
Electrical Safety peter UK diy 8 May 19th 04 06:19 PM