RayV

Default Electrical Safety

I like to think I am safe most of the time. I always wear safety toe
boots when cutting the grass. Safety glasses are on most times in the
shop or when using the weed-wacker. I always lower the blade
completely on my TS when I am done for the day. Since our recent move,
I have also begun unplugging the saw since the new house has an
attached garage as opposed the old detached one.

Why unplug? Why lower the blade? A lovely two year old that always
wants to help daddy fix things is the answer. Yesterday she ran into
the garage and just had to push those colorful buttons on the TS.

Those of you that don't have kids are free to pontificate about how
irresponsible it is to even allow a kid into the workshop before the
age of consent. Those of us that have kids know it would be easier to
stop a politician from lying than keep a child contained 100% of the
time.

My question(s) are these:
What type of safety device(s) should I install in the shop to keep my
princess in one piece?
Currently the garage has only two overhead bulb lights and NO outlets!
I'm considering a sub-panel and a key switched load-panel for the
outlets I'll be installing. Sources for this type of switched panel?

Does Jet or anyone else make a magnetic switch for a Jet contractor TS?
Even a safety conscience guy like me has pulled a 3 stooges plug in the
belt-sander move. It was then I considered power tool racing.
http://www.powertooldragraces.com/

Leon

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

Snip

My question(s) are these:
What type of safety device(s) should I install in the shop to keep my
princess in one piece?
Currently the garage has only two overhead bulb lights and NO outlets!
I'm considering a sub-panel and a key switched load-panel for the
outlets I'll be installing. Sources for this type of switched panel?

The key switched load panel IMHO would be better than trying to lock every
machine. Only 1 switch to secure vs. many that may be forgotten. Check
your local electrical supply for the details.

Connor Aston

I have the same 3 year old daughter so my whole shop useses these:
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...2&rangeid=1008

Standard routine when leaving pull them all out excellent product. Im
in Northern Ireland so not sure if you have the same think in the US
Canada. I have bad dreams thinking what could happen I mount them 5
feet up the wall and by the time she can plug them in she'll know how
to use the machine safley. Hope this helps

Regards
Connor

Duane Bozarth

RayV wrote:

Why unplug? Why lower the blade? A lovely two year old that always
wants to help daddy fix things is the answer. Yesterday she ran into
the garage and just had to push those colorful buttons on the TS.

Call me old-fashioned and apolitically correct, but my first reaction
here is that I taught mine at that age and before "Don't do that!" A
few reinforcing reminders will do wonders in that regards.

That said...yes, it's prudent to be careful and not leave unneccessary
hazards...

My question(s) are these:
What type of safety device(s) should I install in the shop to keep my
princess in one piece?
Currently the garage has only two overhead bulb lights and NO outlets!
I'm considering a sub-panel and a key switched load-panel for the
outlets I'll be installing. Sources for this type of switched panel?

Any panel can be purchased w/ knockout for lock. It should be mounted
high enough on the wall as to be inacessible anyway.

Access and training are the keys imo...

(Raised four w/ crowded shop and grew up on farm w/ great deal of
"stuff" of all types...)
Swingman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Call me old-fashioned and apolitically correct, but my first reaction
here is that I taught mine at that age and before "Don't do that!" A
few reinforcing reminders will do wonders in that regards.

LOL ... my first reaction also. But safety devices, in combination with
slapped hands and loud admonitions, go a long way to covering all bases.

While just the latter has worked with two daughters and numerous shop cats
thus far, that fact could be considered lucky in this day and age of child
protective agencies.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Call me old-fashioned and apolitically correct, but my first reaction
here is that I taught mine at that age and before "Don't do that!" A
few reinforcing reminders will do wonders in that regards.

LOL ... my first reaction also. But safety devices, in combination with
slapped hands and loud admonitions, go a long way to covering all bases.

While just the latter has worked with two daughters and numerous shop cats
thus far, that fact could be considered lucky in this day and age of child
protective agencies.

When kids were young I did cut the shop breaker in the service panel
when not using it, but nothing else specifically outside of what I would
consider ordinary shop "cleanup and put stuff away". In a typical
homeowner garage workshop there's typically more stuff as or more
dangerous than simply an (unpowered) circular saw blade in the top of a
table that's beyond reach anyway...
Roy Smith

RayV wrote:
What type of safety device(s) should I install in the shop to keep my
princess in one piece?
Currently the garage has only two overhead bulb lights and NO outlets!
I'm considering a sub-panel and a key switched load-panel for the
outlets I'll be installing. Sources for this type of switched panel?

Probably the simpliest way to safely cut off all the power in the shop
is with a disconnect switch (similar to http://tinyurl.com/d345h).
Keep some of the overhead light circuits energized all the time and
put all the outlets on a subpanel downstream of the disconnect. These
switches come with holes punched in the handle so you can padlock it
in the "off" position and not be able to open the front of the box
either.

Any Home Depot or Lowes type place should have them.

Patriarch

"RayV" wrote in news:1124976868.968416.266230
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

snip
Why unplug? Why lower the blade? A lovely two year old that always
wants to help daddy fix things is the answer. Yesterday she ran into
the garage and just had to push those colorful buttons on the TS.

I'm with you on the safety aspect, and the power tool circuits are all on a
quick cutoff switch subpanel, but that's not what worries me.

There are a thousand unpowered things in that shop that could cause a two
year old to come to grief. Sharp, pointy, toxic, heavy, etc. And when I'm
out there, with the DC going, and hearing protection on, adults don't make
enough noise to catch my attention, unless they want to. (My wife has
learned to move over into my line of vision, rather than yell, thank
goodness,)

So when the (mobile) grandkids are on premise, I close up the shop. There
will be time to show them the tools when they are a bit older, but right
now, he's unpredictable, and has an attention span more appropriate to
playing with wooden blocks.

A friend of mine told me that his granddaughter, 3, wanted to help him wash
his pickup truck. Took them three hours, but they had a great time
together.

Patriarch

Patriarch wrote:
[...]

I would consider putting a baby-gate on the door to your shop. Keeping
the kids out is the first step.

Master lockout switch on the subpanel is a good idea.

RayV

Actually lowering the blade started before there were even kids, just
in case I bumped the start switch. I have a plywood back that helps
direct the dust down so the blade isn't exposed.

RayV

We have the gates but will probably only get about 6 more months use
out of them before they are useless. I can only hope that as she
develops the ability to override the security measures she also
develops the ability to understand danger.

I thought of telling her the monsters live in the garage but I doubt
the Mrs would appreciate that.

Robatoy

In article .com,
"RayV" wrote:

Those of you that don't have kids are free to pontificate about how
irresponsible it is to even allow a kid into the workshop before the
age of consent. Those of us that have kids know it would be easier to
stop a politician from lying than keep a child contained 100% of the
time.

I know ADULTS who shouldn't be allowed near a woodworker's shop.

Working with wood (and other crafts) together with a child is one of the
most rewarding times you can have. The younger they are, the pinker the
brain, the better the chance to teach safety.

Starting with my first child, I'd take the project to a known
kid-proofed area.... like the kitchen...mom just LOVED that...*G*
That way, there was complete control of the tool selection, and a
manageable theatre of operations. One nasty device at the time.
"See what this meanie Paslode does to you dolly's head??" (keep your
shirt on, I'm kidding...)

We have a record of the advances we have made over time with the
kids..small coat rack here, CD storage rack there..it was fun...just
imagine my turning into a blubbering heap when my oldest called me and
wanted my opinion on one of those cordless combo packages, the
drill/saw/light/etc. that just about every manufacturer offers these
days..... she bought this dresser at a garage sale and it needs a few
repairs...*big wide ****-eating proud daddy grin*

P.S. We came to the conclusion that she'd be better off buying some
tools as cordless, like a drill/driver...and get the corded versions of
the tools she's not likely to use as much, like a saws-all.
Btw... what with those damned lanterns in all those kits?