Posted to alt.home.repair

Default P-Trap Cunundrum

Hi hope that someone from this excellent group can help with this one.
It's sure got me scratching my head.

We have a main-floor laundry room with a sink in our two story home.
The washer drains into a pipe that joins the sink drain prior to the p-
trap. Every week or so we've noticed an awful smell in the laudry
room, which I suspect is a sewage odour, as if the p-trap has lost
it's prime. If I run water down the drain the smell eventually goes
away.

I've checked under the p-trap but can't find any water there and don't
think the joint is leaking. It's as if something is sucking the water
out of the trap, but have never heard of this before.

The house is located in the greater Toronto area in Canada. The street
has a gentle slope to the south. We have an apartment in the basement
of the house, with a full kitchen and bathroom. The second floor has 2
bathrooms, but nothing directly over the laundry room.

We've taken to just leaving the stopper in the sink as a temporary
measure, but obviously would like to resolve this problem.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 9:10*am, Peter H wrote:
[...]

Was it all working ok previously? Need to know that to determine if
you have a functional problem or a design problem. You could check to
make sure nearby vents are ok. Easiest way to do that is to get on
the roof with the garden hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 8:10*am, Peter H wrote:
[...]

Do you have any durabond , flour, or cornstarch around , cover the
area under the trap and pipe, any leak should be easily proved or
dissproved. A trap should stop smelling with a cup of water so if you
have to run a hose for awhile maybe its something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 9:30*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 22, 9:10*am, Peter H wrote:

[...]

the roof with the garden hose.- Hide quoted text -

We just bought the house 8 months ago. It's an intermittant problem,
but I think it's been there since we moved in.

There is a little bit more to the story, but left it out 'cause I
didn't think it relevant.

When we inspected the house the home inspector turned the tap on (Hot
water side) and instead of water coming out it sucked air. We looked
at it and realized that there was a small hose connected to the
faucet, on the hot water side. The hose was of the size that you would
expect to see supplying a humidifier on a furnace. The hose was
bleeding hot water continually, even if the tap was turned off. The
owner, a single woman, seemed oblivious to the problem, but said that
she'd have the faucet replaced before we took over. She did do that,
but I found that the little hose had just been hacked off down at the
base and wasn't connected to anything. I assumed, since the basement
was finished, that this was a primer for the p-trap in the basement
floor drain. I reinstalled it to the cold water supply, but put a
valve on it. I open the valve and run the water periodically to prime
the basement drain. This action has not coincided with the prime
problem we have in the laundry sink, so I didn't think it relevant.

Thanks for your help !!

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 10:05*am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 22, 8:10*am, Peter H wrote:

[...]

have to run a hose for awhile maybe its something else.- Hide quoted text -

I'm sure that I would have noticed water down there if the trap was
leaking. I've checked it a number of times and nada.

Peter H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter H wrote:
[...]

A common question on plumbing license tests.
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/ques...raps-lose-seal
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter H wrote:
[...]

As another poster suggested, it may be the vent.

Just guessing, here, but:

If (several, all?) the vents are clogged (or missing completely), stuff
moving down ANOTHER drain could generate suction on the entire sanitary
system. This suction COULD evacuate the p-trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 10:41*am, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
Peter H wrote:
[...]

* A common question on plumbing license tests.http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/ques...aps-lose-seal- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Moe. That link was very helpful.

I don't think that there is anything else draining into the line that
this laundry sink drains to. All the other water lines are on the far
side of the house... and the sink drains well, so I suspect the vent
is ok. I'll have a look though. There is too much water running from
the laundry there ( 6 of us living in this house and using that one
clothes washer) for the trap to ever dry out.

Peter H
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Peter H wrote:
[...]

If there are strings hanging over the weir of the the trap (from the
washing machine) the water will capillary out. Leave a wet towel
hanging over a full sink and you will see how it works. Also self
siphoning which is how a toilet works, but toilets have a refill tube
that tops them off after every flush. It's hard to do but a trap can
flush its self almost dry if the velocity of the water is enough.
Google drain waste vent system and you will find lots of information.
What it all amounts to is getting water to stay in the trap, I suspect
you might need a ventless vent and it has to be installed correctly to
work.
https://www.centraltrailer.com/cart/... ducts_id=1126
My old boss used to say there are only three things a person needs to
know to be a plumber,
1. The boss is a SOB
2. Sh*t runs downhill
3. Payday is Friday at five
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Peter H wrote:
[...]

It would be of value to know where your vent is in relation to the sink, age
of the previous piping, size and type of pipe.

If your sink is an 1.5 inch drain and you install a washer drain up to that
line, you will have siphon issues.
You should have a 2 inch line to drain your washer into, preferably a 36
inch stand pipe with a p trap at the bottom.
You also need to have proper venting in line to maintain your water in your
traps. If you have older cast iron pipe, there is a chance that corrosion
may have reduced your pipe diameter and if the vent is not close to the
traps, you may have exceeded your minimum critical distance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 2:10*pm, Peter H wrote:
[...]

Put in a deeper trap that will be less susceptable to being "sucked
out".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe" wrote
https://www.centraltrailer.com/cart/... ducts_id=1126
My old boss used to say there are only three things a person needs to
know to be a plumber,
1. The boss is a SOB
2. Sh*t runs downhill
3. Payday is Friday at five

LOL, #4. Don't chew your fingernails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 12:08*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 22, 2:10*pm, Peter H wrote:

[...]

out".- Hide quoted text -

Hmmmm.... that might work as well and would not be too difficult to
do.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Lefty wrote:

My old boss used to say there are only three things a person needs to
know to be a plumber,
1. The boss is a SOB
2. Sh*t runs downhill
3. Payday is Friday at five

I always heard #1 as "Hot's on the left"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2010 8:10 AM, Peter H wrote:
[...]

it sounds like your flow from your washer is making the p-trap siphon
and suck dry. You need a vent or an air admittance valve AFTER the
trap. OR you could just plumb the washer in after the trap, but it still
may suck it. The air inlet is the best bet.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

FatterDumber& Happier Moe posted for all of us...

wrote:
Peter H wrote:
[...]

If it's green it may not be a pickle.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Lefty wrote:

My old boss used to say there are only three things a person needs to
know to be a plumber,
1. The boss is a SOB
2. Sh*t runs downhill
3. Payday is Friday at five

I always heard #1 as "Hot's on the left"

And I've heard #3 as "Sh*t won't run uphill."

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 11:29*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Lefty wrote:

My old boss used to say there are only three things a person needs to
know to be a plumber,
1. The boss is a SOB
2. Sh*t runs downhill
3. Payday is Friday at five

I always heard #1 as "Hot's on the left"

And I've heard #3 as "Sh*t won't run uphill."

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Not usually, but with the right sump pit and sewage
ejector pump many modern miracles are possible...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

* A common question on plumbing license tests.http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/ques...lose-seal-Hide quoted text -

work.https://www.centraltrailer.com/cart/...=product_info&...
* My old boss used to say there are only three things a person needs to
know to be a plumber,
1. The boss is a SOB
2. Sh*t runs downhill
3. Payday is Friday at five

Your old Boss left out a couple of items
Hot on the left, Cold on the right.
Keep your fingers out of your mouth.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote:
On Jul 22, 5:24 pm, Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

+1 to Steve's answer...

The pressure from the washing machine's pump is draining the p-trap
shared by the sink and washing machine...

I don't know, all my washing machines pumped like all hell but then the
last 1/2 gallon or so goes pretty slow, especially pumping during the
spin cycle. That should be plenty to fill the trap again. Maybe this
sink is draining fast enough to do it? Either way, I'd install one of
those ventless vents (air admittance valve). Although it wouldbe best
to take it apart first and check for string and stuff that would empty
it by capillary action.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you temporarily install a second P-trap???

On Jul 22, 8:10*am, Peter H wrote:
Hi hope that someone from this excellent group can help with this one.
It's sure got me scratching my head.

We have a main-floor laundry room with a sink in our two story home.
The washer drains into a pipe that joins the sink drain prior to the p-
trap. Every week or so we've noticed an awful smell in the laudry
room, which I suspect is a sewage odour, as if the p-trap has lost
it's prime. If I run water down the drain the smell eventually goes
away.

I've checked under the p-trap but can't find any water there and don't
think the joint is leaking. It's as if something is sucking the water
out of the trap, but have never heard of this before.

C The house is located in the greater Toronto area in Canada. The
street
has a gentle slope to the south. We have an apartment in the basement
of the house, with a full kitchen and bathroom. The second floor has 2
bathroms, but nothing directly over the laundry room.

We've taken to just leaving the stopper in the sink as a temporary
measure, but obviously would like to resolve this problem.

Thanks for all replies.

Peter H

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drain Cleaning Service provide high quality drain repair solution.Contact Professionals To Unclog Your Drain, Sewers And Pipes.Drain Cleaning Service in Toronto is a company that specializes in Residential Care.Visit - http://www.draincleaningservice.ca
Senior Member

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I would have the main drain line from your house cleared.

If the main drain line is partially clogged, you could have water backing up in your drain piping every time the water spins.

(The washing machine drain is the canary in the coal mine when it comes to judging the extent to which your drain piping is working properly because no other appliance or fixture puts as much water into your drain piping as quickly as your washing machine.)

What very well could be happening is that when your washer spins, the water backs up in your drain piping, but not enough to come gushing out the washer's stand pipe drain. As that water gradually drains away, it could create a partial vaccuum behind it that could suck the water out of the washer's stand pipe P-trap, leaving that trap empty.

It's always a good thing to keep your drain piping clear, so if you can't remember the last time you had the main drain line from your house cleared, it's a good idea to have it done regardless, and it very well could correct the problem you're having with the washer's stand pipe p-trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 04:25:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Drain Cleaning Service

(snip)

More SPAM !!!

A better cat trap? Tim Downie[_3_] UK diy 35 May 24th 10 12:44 AM
The trap is set HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 19 December 27th 08 07:34 PM
Help With Trap Had Enough UK diy 10 June 16th 06 05:47 PM
Rat Trap Tom Pinner Home Repair 8 May 17th 05 04:06 AM
How far down can a trap be? Jon Bergstrom Home Repair 3 January 9th 05 08:38 AM