Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed it also.

It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner. I’m talking about the common plaster and roofing cement
places like Home Depot sells. Did they change the formulation like
adding more lime and less oil? I mean is it just me or has anyone else
noticed these also?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown posted for all of us...

It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner. I?m talking about the common plaster and roofing cement
places like Home Depot sells. Did they change the formulation like
adding more lime and less oil? I mean is it just me or has anyone else
noticed these also?

My observation is that anything "new & improved" isn't. Also anything that I
like the manufacturers will immediately stop production of.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2010 16:32, Tekkie® wrote:

My observation is that anything "new & improved" isn't. Also anything that I
like the manufacturers will immediately stop production of.

Typically such product reformulations occur for one of these reasons:

- To cut production cost. Rarely are such savings passed on to the
consumer.

- To comply with a government mandate that may be based on junk science.
This drive prices up on almost everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 2:35*am, Molly Brown wrote:
*It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner.

I'm noticing the years are getting shorter as I get older.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly, you are correct about a change of formulation in many
products. It began with the wording "non asbestos" and now
suffers from the wording "VOC compliant". We are all arguably
safer, but materials don't stick as well or last as long as back
in the day.

Oil base paint and solvent based laminate contact cement come
strongest to mind for me. They are still available to
professionals, but I won't be surprised when you will need a
license to purchase them like Freon.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching
plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking
lot sooner. I’m talking about the common plaster and roofing
cement
places like Home Depot sells. Did they change the formulation like
adding more lime and less oil? I mean is it just me or has anyone
else
noticed these also?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 1:35*am, Molly Brown wrote:
*It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner. I’m talking about the common plaster and roofing cement
places like Home Depot sells. Did they change the formulation like
adding more lime and less oil? I mean is it just me or has anyone else
noticed these also?

I think steak is tougher, my drill is heavier and pants are made
smaller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 8:09*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 22, 2:35*am, Molly Brown wrote:

*It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner.

I'm noticing the years are getting shorter as I get older.

I don't mind the shortening years but why is the floor getting farther
away every year. If it weren't for my 'extended reach' shoe horn I
couldn't put my shoes on anymore.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/24/2010 11:01 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 24, 8:09 am, wrote:
On Jul 22, 2:35 am, Molly wrote:

It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner.

I'm noticing the years are getting shorter as I get older.

I don't mind the shortening years but why is the floor getting farther
away every year. If it weren't for my 'extended reach' shoe horn I
couldn't put my shoes on anymore.

Harry K

What's left of my hair hurts when I work too hard.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
m...
Molly Brown posted for all of us...

It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner. I?m talking about the common plaster and roofing cement
places like Home Depot sells. Did they change the formulation like
adding more lime and less oil? I mean is it just me or has anyone else
noticed these also?

My observation is that anything "new & improved" isn't. Also anything that
like the manufacturers will immediately stop production of.

snip
===

I recently saw a frozen pizza in the grocery store boasting: "New and
Improved" and "Original Recipe" on the same package.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 24, 10:18*pm, "JimT" wrote:
"Tekkie®" wrote in message

m...
Molly Brown posted for all of us...

*It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster
is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a
lot sooner. I?m talking about the common plaster and roofing cement
places like Home Depot sells. Did they change the formulation like
adding more lime and less oil? I mean is it just me or has anyone else
noticed these also?

My observation is that anything "new & improved" isn't. *Also anything that
like the manufacturers will immediately stop production of.

snip
===

I recently saw a frozen pizza in the grocery store boasting: "New and
Improved" and "Original Recipe" on the same package.

"new and improved" is usually a clue to check the package. Downsizing
anyone?

Harry K