Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioning Question

Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

Thanks,
Bob

I can not say about the cover. Sometimes it is beter to not cover things so
air can circulate and keep it dry inside. If you cover something up tight
against the ground, water will condense inside the unit. YOu may want to
put something just over the top.

The heater will probably be off while the compressor is running and on when
the compressor is off. It is to keep the refrigerant boiled out of the oil
in the compressor. If you do cut off the power to the unit, when you turn
the power back on, do not run the compressor for about 24 hours. That is to
give the heater time to boil the refrigerant out of the oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:56:42 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

Surprised?

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

Some may just put a sheet of plywood on top and call it good.

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

What about the warranty, being new an all, will it be voided if you do
this? Call the company and ask.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

Thanks,
Bob

I had a company (the owner) quote me on a new a/c earlier this spring and I
asked about covering the unit. he says he prefers to send customers to a
place that specializes in condenser covers because some manufacturers have
poorly designed covers that do not provide protection in poorer conditions.

A good cover allows air circulation so the unit won't rust but blocks
blowing snow and dirt from blocking the fins. In My case (southern Ontario
Canada) he says he wouldn't bother getting a customized cover because my
unit' location was sheltered from the wind and there is no dirt or debris in
the vicinity that can lodge into the fins. he said just use a loose cover
to keep leaves out.

Those were his thoughts not mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,
I live in Alberta colder in winter than New England. Our Carrier unit
came with a custom cover with Carrier logo on it. I use thi cover every
winter. If covering is bad how come manufacturer would supply one?
I think the cover keeps the debris, dirt, critters away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

I live in New England also. I've never seen a unit covered in winter. You
don't want to provide a well protected place for mice or chipmunks to nest
and you don't want to hold in moisture to rust stuff.

I covered my grill in the past and won't do it any more for the above
reasons.

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Turn the power back on at least a day before first use so the heater does
warm up the oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 4:56*pm, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

a. *Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

Thanks,
Bob

What I have heard is a total cover that causes excessive heat and
humidity will affect the relay(s). Cover the top in winter.
The fins are clogged by air drawn in by the fan...not by blowing
debris.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I reccomend put a board over the top so that snow and such doesn't
get into the fan and inside the unit. Trash can lid is OK, or other
item. Leave the sides open, so it doesn't get totally humid and rusty.

The heater is typically 54 watts. Yes, it's OK to turn off the double
breaker to the outdoor unit. It is important to turn the breaker on
several days before using the AC.

Please remit $48.50 for professional advice.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus