Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default Air Conditioning Question

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi,

Had a new A/C installed.
Typical system with the evaporator in the furnace, and the Condenser
outside.

Couldn't get a really good answer from installer.

a. Live in New England; lots of snow in winter.
Do folks usually put a cover of some sort over the outside Condenser in
the winter ?

b. He mentioned that there is a small heater in the unit that is on all
the time; even if the unit is not actually running

Does it make any sense to shut off the 220 V power in the winter to the
outside Condenser, thus killing the heater ?

Or, best to have the heater always on, even in the winter time ?

Thanks,
Bob

I had a company (the owner) quote me on a new a/c earlier this spring and I
asked about covering the unit. he says he prefers to send customers to a
place that specializes in condenser covers because some manufacturers have
poorly designed covers that do not provide protection in poorer conditions.

A good cover allows air circulation so the unit won't rust but blocks
blowing snow and dirt from blocking the fins. In My case (southern Ontario
Canada) he says he wouldn't bother getting a customized cover because my
unit' location was sheltered from the wind and there is no dirt or debris in
the vicinity that can lodge into the fins. he said just use a loose cover
to keep leaves out.

Those were his thoughts not mine.