Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap Globe light mounted vertically?

The builder installed a cheap standard (found in many closets) light
in my pantry that has a glass globe that attaches with 3 screws. It is
mounted on the wall, not the ceiling.

After 9 years, I came home and the globe had broken off and shattered
everywhere. It was not loose as the neck that the screws attach to
was intact still in the fixture.

My question is are these lights meant to be mounted on a wall or do I
need a new fixture? It could have just been a fluke that it broke off
after all this time, but I could see how hanging sideways would put
stress on the glass.