Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OSSF - Texas

We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

I think this sounds fairly simple although I know it would be a lot of
work. There's an existing system that no longer meets code
requirements so we have to make modifications. So, connect the drain
line coming out of the house to a lift station, have an electrician
wire it, install the tank, hook it all together.

Is this worth $13,000???

Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote the following:
We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

The kitchen sink produces grey water. Blackwater is some private
security company. :-)

I think this sounds fairly simple although I know it would be a lot of
work. There's an existing system that no longer meets code
requirements so we have to make modifications. So, connect the drain
line coming out of the house to a lift station, have an electrician
wire it, install the tank, hook it all together.

Is this worth $13,000???

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 2:05*pm, willshak wrote:
BradMM wrote the following:

We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. *Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. *If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

The kitchen sink produces grey water.

Not according to the State code and the local jurisdiction
definitions.... unfortunately!
Posted to alt.home.repair

BradMM wrote the following:

We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

The kitchen sink produces grey water.

Not according to the State code and the local jurisdiction
definitions.... unfortunately!

===

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blackwater

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2010 4:38 PM, BradMM wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:05 pm, wrote:
BradMM wrote the following:

We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

The kitchen sink produces grey water.

Not according to the State code and the local jurisdiction
definitions.... unfortunately!

well it's wrong.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BradMM" wrote in message
We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. Since this is so close to
the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have
incinerating
toilets. If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

I think this sounds fairly simple although I know it would be a lot
of
work. There's an existing system that no longer meets code
requirements so we have to make modifications. So, connect the
drain
line coming out of the house to a lift station, have an electrician
wire it, install the tank, hook it all together.

Is this worth $13,000???

Most of the new county codes are now calling for those that spray the
water up in the air like a huge sprinkler system. Our neighbor put one
in and when the wind is blowing from his direction the odor just about
gags us. I refused our county inspector when they said we would have
to do that and we just put in a standard system with a pump that
pushes the water out through hundreds of feet of field line. But, yes,
the 13 grand is probably right on the money as the spray kind around
here runs between 8 and 10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 7:01*pm, BradMM wrote:
We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. *Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. *If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

I think this sounds fairly simple although I know it would be a lot of
work. *There's an existing system that no longer meets code
requirements so we have to make modifications. *So, connect the drain
line coming out of the house to a lift station, have an electrician
wire it, install the tank, hook it all together.

Is this worth $13,000???

Reed bed treatment ponds are much cheaper if they are allowed in your
area. No pumps etc needed either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_bed#Treatment_ponds
http://www.johnstonsmith.co.uk/fact18.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry,

I'd love to do that but this property is right on the water's edge of
a lake and in the flood plain.

Reed bed treatment ponds are much cheaper if they are allowed in your
area. No pumps etc needed either.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_be...uk/fact18.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BradMM" wrote in message
Harry,

I'd love to do that but this property is right on the water's edge
of
a lake and in the flood plain.

Reed bed treatment ponds are much cheaper if they are allowed in
your
area. No pumps etc needed
either.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_be...uk/fact18.html

Make sure you understand the difference between a "flood plain" and a
"flood way". I learned that lesson the hardway about 30 years ago and
boy did it hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure you understand the difference between a "flood plain" and a
"flood way". I learned that lesson the hardway about 30 years ago and
boy did it hurt.

Don't keep me in suspense... what's the difference? I know the place
floods every 4-5 years but it's built to withstand it. Two story,
just move the good stuff when the water starts rising.

Thanks for the tip!

Brad

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BradMM" wrote in message
Make sure you understand the difference between a "flood plain" and
"flood way". I learned that lesson the hardway about 30 years ago
and
boy did it hurt.

Don't keep me in suspense... what's the difference? I know the
place
floods every 4-5 years but it's built to withstand it. Two story,
just move the good stuff when the water starts rising.

Thanks for the tip!

Brad

A "Flood Plain" is an area that is prone to flooding every X number of
years and there are certain restrictions about building there. Such
as, so many feet above the average grade, type of foundation etc. A
"Flood Way" you can't even build a dog house in it. All of those rules
might have changed since my episode but it would be worth your while
to make sure you're in the plain and not the way. My understanding is
that they change from plain to way rather arbitrarily from time to
time. I missed which lake you are on but we were on the mighty Brazos
River and it finally got us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Post Quartermaster"
wrote in message ...

"BradMM" wrote in message
[...]

Where I'm from a flood way is called an arroyo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote in
:

On Jul 11, 2:05 pm, wrote:
BradMM wrote the following:

We bought a lake house in Texas and I've been reading the rules on
permitting an On Site Sewage Facility. Since this is so close to the
lake, it will have to be an above ground tank and we have incinerating
toilets. If it weren't for the kitchen sink, we wouldn't have any
blackwater at all.

The kitchen sink produces grey water.

Not according to the State code and the local jurisdiction
definitions.... unfortunately!

well it's wrong.

It's labeled & priced right then.