Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Piano Keys

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

"Michael" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

When you called Crayola, they couldn't offer a solution? That's surprising.
It seems other people must've run into similar problems before.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

"Michael" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

If they're invisible, how do you know they are there?

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 7, 3:00*pm, "Michael" wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

I would try a pressure washer.
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

"Michael" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They are wonderful things!

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 7, 4:58*pm, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 13:33:24 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Jul 7, 3:00?pm, "Michael" wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

I would try a pressure washer.

Gas or electric?

Either.
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:00*pm, "Michael" wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

As I'm sure you know, ivory is pretty delicate when it comes to
cleaning. Try white toothpaste on a soft, damp cloth, carefully.
I've heard of people using Bon Ami, but I'd double that "carefully" if
trying that. Also, they can be professionally cleaned, if it comes to
that.
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:00*pm, "Michael" wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

For something like this I'd start with the most gentle technique then
get more agressive if the stain persists.

First try a poultice of baking soda and water for 24 hours under saran
wrap.

If no success then try making a poultice out of baking soda and
peroxide or diatomacious earth and peroxide (12% solution) to the
consistency of peanut butter.

If no luck try mineral spirits on a WHITE paper towel under saran wrap
for 24 hours.

If no luck try same with acetone.

For all of the above put a 1/4 inch thick pile of (either WHITE paper
towel or baking soda medium or diatomacious earth medium) over the key
then seal it with saran wrap to prevent evaporation, let it sit 24
hours, if you are lucky it will leach the stain out of the ivory. If
the stain did not disappear fully, but did disappear a little, then
repeat.

I'd try bleach last though.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 5:29*pm, RickH wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:00*pm, "Michael" wrote:

[...]

The purpose of a poultice is to leach the stain out of the ivory, it
cant be scrubbed off, ivory is porous.
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 2:07 PM Jo Ann spake thus:

On Jul 7, 2:00 pm, "Michael" wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.

As I'm sure you know, ivory is pretty delicate when it comes to
cleaning. Try white toothpaste on a soft, damp cloth, carefully.
I've heard of people using Bon Ami, but I'd double that "carefully" if
trying that. Also, they can be professionally cleaned, if it comes to
that.

Even though the O.P. said "ivory", most piano keys (white keys) aren't
actually ivory any more. Endangered species and all that. They're most
likely some form of "ivoroid", an ivory-looking plastic, unless it's an
antique Steinway or something.

Actually, ivory is probably less "delicate" than plastic when it comes
to cleaning. It's not going to melt away with solvents like acetone like
most plastics will. It's also harder and will resist scratching better.

Common sense dictates avoiding any kind of abrasive cleaner, which would
rule out Bon Ami. Since the markers may be solvent-based, I'd suggest
the following, carefully and sparingly applied with a cotton swab:

o Paint thinner or naphtha (*not* acetone or lacquer thinner!)
o A strong soap, like concentrated Simple Green, dish soap or equivalent
o Denatured alcohol

Test a small patch, perhaps on an end key, to make sure it doesn't stain
the keys.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 3:29 PM RickH spake thus:

On Jul 7, 2:00 pm, "Michael" wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.

[...]

If no luck try same with acetone.

Except that as I pointed out elsewhere here, the keys probably are not
actually ivory but some kind of plastic instead, unless it's an old or
valuable instrument. Most piano makers stopped using ivory quite some
time ago.

Acetone is generally not kind to plastics. (Great cleaner otherwise.)

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Michael wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Crayola has an 800 number and email addy he
http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/con...iew.cfm?id=387
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:00:17 -0400, "Michael"
wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory
piano keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Try bleach. Test a small area first to see how it reacts. I use it
diluted by 50% on kitchen counters and full strenght in the toilet
bowl. Does wonders for stains at least for me.

Bleach will disolve ivory.

try an alcohol-soaked cotton swab or rag

--
---
zaax
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Michael wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory
piano keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Usually to remove a discoloration or stain, you use a solvent close in
chemical composition to the staining agent.

In this case, crayons are made of wax, so I'd try something in the mineral
spirits, Kerosene, etc., line rather than alcohols, bleaches, turpentine,
and solvents based on other chemicals.

And unless the piano is more than about fifty years old, the keys aren't
ivory.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Michael wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory
piano keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Usually to remove a discoloration or stain, you use a solvent close in
chemical composition to the staining agent.

In this case, crayons are made of wax, so I'd try something in the mineral
spirits, Kerosene, etc., line rather than alcohols, bleaches, turpentine,
and solvents based on other chemicals.

And unless the piano is more than about fifty years old, the keys aren't
ivory.

Read OP again...."Crayola Invisible Marker". )

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Michael wrote:
Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Hi,
Sure it is real ivory? If so must be very old piano.
I'd try steaming towel(microwave wet towel) to wipe it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory
piano keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Try bleach. Test a small area first to see how it reacts. I use it
diluted by 50% on kitchen counters and full strenght in the toilet
bowl. Does wonders for stains at least for me.

Bleach will disolve ivory.

try an alcohol-soaked cotton swab or rag

If it's only a couple keys, a good piano tuner should have some
replacements in his truck. However, unless he is older than Methuselah,
he likely won't have real ivory ones. My parents salvaged a nice old
upright piano years ago and a couple of the keys always bothered me
because most of them were ivory, but a couple that had gotten damaged or
missing over the years had plastic on them.

The good news is that they are as far as I know a dead standard size, so
if it *is* only a couple of them, and they *are* plastic and not real
ivory, and it's only a couple of them, next time you have the piano
tuned ask the tuner to replace those caps for you and you will be good
to go.

Now had I managed to draw on real ivory keys with anything more
permanent than a No. 2 pencil... well... I got grounded enough as a
kid, I didn't need a spanking as well.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

Either.

Either will put you to sleep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Permanent marker comes off of almost anything with "expo whiteboard
cleaner" - and cleaning ivory keys (to get them "white" again) - my
piano tuner said to use lemon juice when I rebuilt my old upright
grand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas. You need at least 3,000 PSI.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Jeff The Drunk wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 13:33:24 -0700 (PDT), Ron

I would try a pressure washer.

Gas or electric?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Earl Proulx (the Yankee home handyman) I think said yoghurt. American
Yankee,eh?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Permanent marker comes off of almost anything with "expo whiteboard
cleaner" - and cleaning ivory keys (to get them "white" again) - my
piano tuner said to use lemon juice when I rebuilt my old upright
grand.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 5:45 PM Freckles spake thus:

"Michael" wrote in message

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.

If the keys are plastic a swab moistened with a little WD40 may do it. The
janitor where I used to work removed all kind of marks, tape, and paint off
of plastic counter tops with it.

Test a small out of the way area first.

That would probably work as well as anything.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

from alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.
Thanks

Since you say so, I'm sure you do have ivory, but just to be sure,
ivory keys are in two pieces**. If there is no line between two
pieces, it's plastic. If there is a line, even with the end of the
black key, it's ivory.

**Three pieces if you count the front vertical part, but I only say
this to satisfy the nitpickers.

I woudn't assume invisible markers are also made of wax. Like almost
every company, Crayola has expanded its product line.

And test whatever you are about to do on the front of a key at the end
of the piano next to the wall. Or call someone with great
references.

This was 45 years ago but it might still work.
I'm sure Crayola or someone here has a way to get it off, but if you
ever lose a whole piece, as the guys in my fraternity managed to do
with several before I got there, I called the place that repaired
pianos, and told them my problem (Of course being a poor college
student working on someone else's piano might have helped but might
not have been necessary.) And they gave me the phone number for their
west side of Chicago plant where they did the serious overhauls, and I
called up to see where they were and if I could come over, and I said
one sentence and she said What's your address. I didnt' have time to
give her a sob story and there was no charge.

And she mailed me a bag of ivories and a few black keys. 3 or 4 had
cigarette burns but most did not. And they were slightly different
colors of white. I think this was Lyon and Healy, even though I got
their name from the other piano company in town. This was when ivory
keys were still legal. I'm sure they saved all the ivory keys from
pianos they scrapped. Now there won't be so many getting scrapped,
but there might be as many that need repair, so you might be able to
get only a few.

I'm not much of a pianist, but I think ivory's better. I have a baby
grand Chickering Piano that my mother bought used in 1945. It has a
beautiful tone (better than my uncle's Steinway, afaic) and ivory
keys. The OP's not shopping but you others, don't get a Chickering
made before 1900. They weren't good yet.

Back to the fraternity piano, and this truly is home repair, I think,
I dusted the dampers and the dust kept coming off and off and off. I
wet a rag and kept at it. After 10 or 20 minutes, I started seeing
the wood grain. Eventually I got the whole thing clean and the grain
continued from one damper to another. It was beautiful. They were all
cut from one piece of wood. I don't know how old this piano was but
the house was a fraternity house for maybe 50 or 60 years at the time,
maybe less.

What's the name of the piano company hq'd in Chicago. Not Lyon and
Healy. They had a showroom on State St. in the Loop on the east side
of the street, and I took the elevator to the fourth floor marked Shop
(or maybe I went to every floor until I found the shop), introduced
myself to the first guy I met, and told him about the most serious
problem I had, which was all I hoped to get fixed from them. He took
me to a guy, who showed me what to do and gave me a few spare parts to
do it with. Then he took me to the next guy, who told me how to
replace a broken piano string (I had one) and told me to find out what
size harp I had. (It's a letter from A to G maybe that sticks out big
time at the narrow end of the harp) When I came back the second time,
he looked up the harp size and key number in a chart and gave me more
than enough piano wire to replace the string.

On the first trip, I also had a tightening pin that was loose and kept
coming loose, and the second guy took me to a third guy who gave me a
couple oversized pins and taught me how to put them in. You have to
jamb a 4x4 or something under the sound board and between it and the
frame of the piano, near the missing removed pin, so that when you hit
the new pin, you don't break the sound board, which can't be repaired,
so it's all over. I didn't have to hit the pin that hard, but the
sound board is fairly fragile.

Also some of the keys didn't work and the fourth guy gave me a small
roll of red felt (not a full roll) and some wood pieces that were in
fact missing, and eventually I took the whole keyboard out of the
piano to my bedroom, where I went over every key mechanism and glued
about 10 or 20 of them together with Elmer's white glue and rubber
bands.

When the fourth guy was done with me, he took me back to the boss, who
gave me the name and address of the wholesale piano parts store in
Chicago, and gave me his name and said I coudl use his name to get 50%
off on everything. I only bought a tuning wrench. I can't tune but
Joe Kowlkowski had a good ear and I got him to tune the piano.

The whole process took a month or two, and the two guys who could
really play the piano were very happy when it worked. You should have
heard Joe play "A Whiter Shade of Pale" on the piano. It sounded as
good as a whole band. He did classical too. I was happy too, and
played simple stuff.
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:33:09 -0400, mm
wrote:

Back to the fraternity piano, and this truly is home repair, I think,
I dusted the dampers and the dust kept coming off and off and off. I
wet a rag and kept at it. After 10 or 20 minutes, I started seeing
the wood grain. Eventually I got the whole thing clean and the grain
continued from one damper to another. It was beautiful. They were all
cut from one piece of wood. I don't know how old this piano was but
the house was a fraternity house for maybe 50 or 60 years at the time,
maybe less.

So I dno't know how long the dampers took to get this dusty, but maybe
60 years.

I woudn't at all assume every piano has dampers like this. I've never
noticed another one like it, though I don't usually lift the lid. I'm
pretty sure mine are just black.

I guess I was pretty confident dirt was coming off and not just some
sort of black stain. When I got down to the grain, it was still
varnished or had some smooth finish on it. I used very little water
and more rubbing.

Difficult-to-get keys Peter Riocreux[_2_] UK diy 11 March 6th 09 08:47 AM
recycling old keys mogga UK diy 17 November 30th 04 09:21 AM
Identify these keys Stormin Mormon Home Repair 4 October 3rd 04 05:02 PM
TV that does not respond to some keys. Chaos Master Electronics Repair 6 March 20th 04 04:27 PM