Posted to alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Piano Keys

On 7/7/2010 2:07 PM Jo Ann spake thus:

On Jul 7, 2:00 pm, "Michael" wrote:

Does anyone know how to remove Crayola Invisible Marker from ivory piano
keys? Warm soapy water didn't work.

As I'm sure you know, ivory is pretty delicate when it comes to
cleaning. Try white toothpaste on a soft, damp cloth, carefully.
I've heard of people using Bon Ami, but I'd double that "carefully" if
trying that. Also, they can be professionally cleaned, if it comes to
that.

Even though the O.P. said "ivory", most piano keys (white keys) aren't
actually ivory any more. Endangered species and all that. They're most
likely some form of "ivoroid", an ivory-looking plastic, unless it's an
antique Steinway or something.

Actually, ivory is probably less "delicate" than plastic when it comes
to cleaning. It's not going to melt away with solvents like acetone like
most plastics will. It's also harder and will resist scratching better.

Common sense dictates avoiding any kind of abrasive cleaner, which would
rule out Bon Ami. Since the markers may be solvent-based, I'd suggest
the following, carefully and sparingly applied with a cotton swab:

o Paint thinner or naphtha (*not* acetone or lacquer thinner!)
o A strong soap, like concentrated Simple Green, dish soap or equivalent
o Denatured alcohol

Test a small patch, perhaps on an end key, to make sure it doesn't stain
the keys.