Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting galvanized fence posts

I am moving a fence and after working on it for awhile, I don't think
the original plan of taking the old ones and replanting them is going to
work. The original ones are black. The replacement black ones are about
twice the price of the replacement galvanized. I can obviously buy quite
a lot of spray paint for the difference. Any particular reason I
shouldn't go this route??

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
* I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator
and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

You need to read up on painting new galvanising and there are
different types, its common to let the galvanising age out a up to a
year and use a latex primer, its not like painting regular steel, pick
your products carefully, you can wash and prep it but If it was my
fence id get products and advise from a real paint store. Worst case
is it all peels and you have 4x the mess in a few years.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 30, 7:37*am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I am moving a fence and after working on it for awhile, I don't think
the original plan of taking the old ones and replanting them is going to
work. The original ones are black. The replacement black ones are about
twice the price of the replacement galvanized. I can obviously buy quite
a lot of spray paint for the difference. Any particular reason I
shouldn't go this route??

--
* I want to find a voracious, small-minded predator
and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Anyone living on east or west coasts knows that galvanizing lasts far
longer than any paint, except one, referred to in the industry as
'zinc rich' which is 90% or so zinc content, and therefore nearly like
galvanizing. Obviously, with a durable substrate and proper topcoat of
your chosen color you should have a respectable job that can last many
years. I say, save the $$.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I am moving a fence and after working on it for awhile, I don't think
the original plan of taking the old ones and replanting them is going to
work. The original ones are black. The replacement black ones are about
twice the price of the replacement galvanized. I can obviously buy quite
a lot of spray paint for the difference. Any particular reason I
shouldn't go this route??

What kind of paint is on the pre-painted? It may be powder coated and much
more durable than the home painted ones. Check the specs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I am moving a fence and after working on it for awhile, I don't think
the original plan of taking the old ones and replanting them is going to
work. The original ones are black. The replacement black ones are about
twice the price of the replacement galvanized. I can obviously buy quite
a lot of spray paint for the difference. Any particular reason I
shouldn't go this route??

What kind of paint is on the pre-painted? It may be powder coated and much
more durable than the home painted ones. Check the specs.

The prepainted are double the galvanized price. I will be
moving in 3 years tops. Durability is not a real big consideration for
me at this point.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
I am moving a fence and after working on it for awhile, I don't think
the original plan of taking the old ones and replanting them is going to
work. The original ones are black. The replacement black ones are about
twice the price of the replacement galvanized. I can obviously buy quite
a lot of spray paint for the difference. Any particular reason I
shouldn't go this route??

What kind of paint is on the pre-painted? It may be powder coated and much
more durable than the home painted ones. Check the specs.

Also, these are along the back 40, so to speak, and won't be seen all
that often except the couple times a month I mow the area.