Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Mousetrap improvement

Not my idea, but wish it was.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 6/24/2010 8:17 AM, Christopher Young wrote:
My shelves also have Chinese Dictator (mousey dung).

I had some very Smart Mice. They would steal the bait
(Peanut Butter) right off of the traps, and would not go
near Glue Traps or a "Live Catch" trap.

I nailed them by drilling holes in Almonds, then wiring them
to the Bait Tray of Victor Snap-Traps. Now when they try to
steal the bait, they get a good Whack on the Neck instead.
After I killed a couple Dozen Mice this way, I have not seen
any Mice in about a Month.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 6/24/2010 8:17 AM, Christopher Young wrote:
My shelves also have Chinese Dictator (mousey dung).

I had some very Smart Mice. They would steal the bait
(Peanut Butter) right off of the traps, and would not go
near Glue Traps or a "Live Catch" trap.

I nailed them by drilling holes in Almonds, then wiring them
to the Bait Tray of Victor Snap-Traps. Now when they try to
steal the bait, they get a good Whack on the Neck instead.
After I killed a couple Dozen Mice this way, I have not seen
any Mice in about a Month.

I usually just add some flour to the peanut butter to make it thicker so
it's harder for the sneaky mice to lick it off without setting off the trap,
but I like this "drilled almond" trick.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not my idea, but wish it was.

It's not really off topic....it is home improvement (keeping vermin out)
and you should share tips about the equipment used....drill bit, best
rpm's for drilling almonds, what type of wire, etc. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not my idea, but wish it was.

At the govt lab where I once worked, a draught year brought in
thousands of mice. A contest was held to see who could build the most
efficient mouse trap and kill the most mice in one night. It was big
lab with about a 10K working population, so a lot of brainiacs.

The winners used a simple galvanized washtub, the kind used to make a
washtub bass, and mounted a hinged one-by stick on the edge so it
would teeter-totter down into the tub, filled about a quarter full
with water, when a mouse ran out on the stick to eat the peanut butter
smeared on the end. After the mouse fell in the water, the
teeter-totter would automatically reset for the next mouse. It caught
over 100 mice the first night.

What makes this so interesting is the fact that this being a govt lab,
money was no object. Anyone could have built a radar guided laser
death ray killing thingie, spending hundreds of thousands without
batting an eye. In fact, someone may have done just that. But in the
end, out of dozens of entries and research teams and literally "rocket
science" efforts, the winner by a large margin was about as low tech
as it gets. True story.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-24, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not my idea, but wish it was.

[...]

Low technology is good technology.
I know people who think you need a computer to turn a ligh off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2010 9:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not my idea, but wish it was.

I find the Victor trap where tripper looks like a piece of Swiss cheese
works best. It is very sensitive and you can smear peanut butter in the
holes. Regular traps, mice can lick it off and any trap that is not
sensitive is useless.

I don't like glue boards as they do not work that well and I've seen a
mouse practically gnaw off its leg to get out of one. I don't hate mice
that much to see them suffer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 1:32*pm, Frank wrote:
On 6/24/2010 9:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: Not my idea, but wish it was..

I find the Victor trap where tripper looks like a piece of Swiss cheese
works best. *It is very sensitive and you can smear peanut butter in the
holes. *Regular traps, mice can lick it off and any trap that is not
sensitive is useless.

I don't like glue boards as they do not work that well and I've seen a
mouse practically gnaw off its leg to get out of one. *I don't hate mice
that much to see them suffer.

I live trap and release them. DONT keep a food source thats easily
accesible for them.

like the time i kept a 100 pound sack of sunflower seeds in the
basement for bird feeding/.

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:00:16 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Not my idea, but wish it was.

http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Not my idea, but wish it was.

http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:36:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

I've never witnessed trap and release of mice. Is this something new?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five
mice a dozen times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five
mice a dozen times.

nope they were all different mice, they had no way back in.

my belief, open garage door one pregnant female mouse wanders in, i
have seen them sneak in with garage door open, back to when i was a
kid.

one female mouse finds plentiful supply of sunflower seeds, the ideal
mouse food. she is pregnant and exponential multiplication
begins......

the live trap worked fine emptied at least twice a day. some obvious
oldtimers heavily grey died probably from fear.

the rest were released without incident..........

why kill anything unnecessarily?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:22:55 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five
mice a dozen times.

nope they were all different mice, they had no way back in.

The only way you might really know this, is using a spray paint or
magic markers. Add a scarlet letter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-24, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

Or a washtub to catch mice.

Towser, the cat, was the Glenturret Distillery's mouser-in-chief. During her
23-year career she dispatched 28,899 mice, earning her a place in the
Guinness Book of Records and a bronze statue outside the distillery's
office.

P.S.
I drink only Famous Grouse Scotch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five
mice a dozen times.

I release them in the high grass by the river in the park a mile away.
The owls in that park really like me.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I release them in the high grass by the river in the park a mile away.
The owls in that park really like me.

I can hear them now. "Hey Guys! The roach coach just showed up!"

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 24, 1:32 pm, Frank wrote:
On 6/24/2010 9:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: Not my idea, but wish it was.

I find the Victor trap where tripper looks like a piece of Swiss cheese
works best. It is very sensitive and you can smear peanut butter in the
holes. Regular traps, mice can lick it off and any trap that is not
sensitive is useless.

I don't like glue boards as they do not work that well and I've seen a
mouse practically gnaw off its leg to get out of one. I don't hate mice
that much to see them suffer.

I live trap and release them. DONT keep a food source thats easily
accesible for them.

like the time i kept a 100 pound sack of sunflower seeds in the
basement for bird feeding/.

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

I keep my bird seed in 5 gallon plastic buckets. Once I forgot to snug
the lid down, and the next time I opened it, two mice looked up at me
with 'What're YOU looking at?!' expressions.

I haven't trapped lately, once I realized they were only coming in to
get the peanut butter out of the teeter-totter traps, that had
previously worked quite well for me. I have NO idea how they do it- the
damn things are so twitchy that if I look at them wrong, the door falls
shut. Mebbe two of them work together, taking turns- one jams himself
under the high end, and the other goes in and gets the PB.

But, in a few months, come cold weather, I suppose it will all start up
again. Any food not in a hard-sided container goes in fridge, so
pickings are better outside in summer.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five
mice a dozen times.

nope they were all different mice, they had no way back in.

"no way back in" THAT YOU KNOW OF. Unless you released them at least a mile
away, you were catching the same mice. Over and over and over.

The only way you might really know this, is using a spray paint or
magic markers. Add a scarlet letter?

LMAO
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You didn't catch and release 60 mice. You caught and released the same five
mice a dozen times.
nope they were all different mice, they had no way back in.

"no way back in" THAT YOU KNOW OF. Unless you released them at least a mile
away, you were catching the same mice. Over and over and over.
The only way you might really know this, is using a spray paint or
magic markers. Add a scarlet letter?

LMAO

Buddy of mine did that with a raccoon that kept getting into his dogfood
supply. 3 daughters at home at the time, so he tried catch&release to
keep them happy. 2nd or 3rd time, he spray-painted a yellow spot on his
back. Next time he saw the spot, he sent the wife and kids shopping,
shot it and buried it. Mice, half a mile or so is probably plenty. My
buddy said he took the coon 5 miles across a river, and it was back
within 48 hours.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2010 8:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not my idea, but wish it was.

I set some mouse traps one time only to have ants eat the peanut butter
off the trigger. So I put out ant bait in the little plastic squares
and the mice flipped them over and ate the ant bait. I could have sworn
I found a tiny little thank you note on the table.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Hi,
We live across from BIG public wilderness park. Lots of animals there
including occasional moose and bear. If you mistreat animals they get
even with you. When we stop feeding birds in the spring they started
snipping off flower buds in the flower bed. When we squirted water on
squirrels and bunnies. they must get mad at us, they started chewing off
roses from our rose bushes. They are smart. We try to learn co-exist.
Mpise in the yard too. We cull them to keep the number low. We use
sticky pads. Once they are on it they can't move. Works very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jun 25, 9:40*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
wrote:

[...]

==
How big does a "sticky pad" have to be to hold a bear or a cougar? I'd
trust my old army rifle over a "sticky pad" any day.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

I've never witnessed trap and release of mice. Is this something new?

Only new to people who don't know how to catch mice live without killing
them. I've never killed a mouse, or any other animal, except by accident
or as a coup de gras (critically injured) as part of my LE duties.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll inquire of the person in question.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not my idea, but wish it was.

It's not really off topic....it is home improvement (keeping vermin
out)
and you should share tips about the equipment used....drill bit, best
rpm's for drilling almonds, what type of wire, etc. )

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, you send your mice to pester other people? I don't like you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I live trap and release them. DONT keep a food source thats easily
accesible for them.

like the time i kept a 100 pound sack of sunflower seeds in the
basement for bird feeding/.

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tree hugger who doesn't care about hurting people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

I've never witnessed trap and release of mice. Is this something new?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cause it goes next door and eats your neighbor's food.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

nope they were all different mice, they had no way back in.

the rest were released without incident..........

why kill anything unnecessarily?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good man. Way to go!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

Buddy of mine did that with a raccoon that kept getting into his
dogfood
supply. 3 daughters at home at the time, so he tried catch&release to
keep them happy. 2nd or 3rd time, he spray-painted a yellow spot on
his
back. Next time he saw the spot, he sent the wife and kids shopping,
shot it and buried it. Mice, half a mile or so is probably plenty. My
buddy said he took the coon 5 miles across a river, and it was back
within 48 hours.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

.

wrote:
lesson learned evicted about 60 mice over a few weeks.

live trap and release is the better way............

I've never witnessed trap and release of mice. Is this something new?

==
It may not be new but it is really a stupid thing to do.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2010 8:23 PM, Christopher Young wrote:
and you should share tips about the equipment used....drill bit,
best
rpm's for drilling almonds, what type of wire, etc. )

You really don't need that much detail. You just have to be smarter
than
a Mouse. LOL

I used the smallest bit in my Drill Index, I think a 1/16" and used my
9.6 Volt Makita Drill. I have NO idea what RPM it was. I used some
thin
Copper wire I stripped out of telephone wire I had in my Junk Box. You
don't need to really lock down the Almond, just secure it enough to
pull
the bait tray and trip the trap when the mouse tugs at the Almond to
carry it away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/10 9:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/26/2010 8:23 PM, Christopher Young wrote:
and you should share tips about the equipment used....drill bit,
best
rpm's for drilling almonds, what type of wire, etc. )

You really don't need that much detail. You just have to be smarter
than
a Mouse. LOL

I used the smallest bit in my Drill Index, I think a 1/16" and used my
9.6 Volt Makita Drill. I have NO idea what RPM it was. I used some
thin
Copper wire I stripped out of telephone wire I had in my Junk Box. You
don't need to really lock down the Almond, just secure it enough to
pull
the bait tray and trip the trap when the mouse tugs at the Almond to
carry it away.

What I do is superglue mouse bait to the triggers of, say, Victor Quick
Set Mouse Traps. I have very few false trips, and I usually get one or
two dozen mice before I have to rebait the traps. When I say "mouse
bait", I mean the greenish kind that contains warfarin and is available
in small sacks containing cylinders 3/16" in diameter by 1/2" long. I
usually glue two such pieces to the trigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:53:37 -0500, John Karl
wrote:

What I do is superglue mouse bait to the triggers of, say, Victor Quick
Set Mouse Traps. I have very few false trips, and I usually get one or
two dozen mice before I have to rebait the traps. When I say "mouse
bait", I mean the greenish kind that contains warfarin and is available
in small sacks containing cylinders 3/16" in diameter by 1/2" long. I
usually glue two such pieces to the trigger.

Back in the day, My grandfather would use sewing thread wrapped around
cheese/trigger. Multiple wraps and the bait stayed on the snap trap.

That was for giant "rats ingenious". Even a mouse couldn't get past
the thread without a snap on the neck.

er, pat on the back........

Well Improvement? [email protected] Home Repair 22 April 7th 08 02:20 PM
Home Improvement Richi Home Repair 0 January 30th 08 06:04 AM
home improvement [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 14th 08 08:26 AM
umm...where's the mousetrap? dkhedmo Home Repair 32 October 24th 06 03:58 PM
DeWalt's improvement? Wally Woodworking 1 July 18th 05 03:50 PM