Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well Improvement?

Hello, I have a residence with a deep water well. This well is
exactly
200' deep and water is at around the 175' level. The pump is located
about 4' off of the bottom with approximately 20' of water above it.
The well is 12" inside diameter steel cased. I checked with the
county
and they do not have any record of the well so it is probably 40
years
old or more. This well produces anywhere from 1 gpm to 7 gpm and the
rate does not seem to matter if we are having a wet or dry season. I
am curious if there is any consensus from people on this newsgroup if
I should try to improve this well or have another one put in.
Currently, the production is adequate, but just barely. The well is
located in the hills in central California. Thanks for suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 8:04�am, wrote:
Hello, I have a residence with a deep water well. This well is
exactly
200' deep and water is at around the 175' level. The pump is located
about 4' off of the bottom with approximately 20' of water above it.
The well is 12" inside diameter steel cased. I checked with the
county
and they do not have any record of the well so it is probably 40
years
old or more. This well produces anywhere from 1 gpm to 7 gpm and the
rate does not seem to matter if we are having a wet or dry season. I
am curious if there is any consensus from people on this newsgroup if
I should try to improve this well or have another one put in.
Currently, the production is adequate, but just barely. The well is
located in the hills in central California. Thanks for suggestions.

theres not much you can do to improve a current well beyond replacing
the pump.

its better to drill a new well than screw around with the old one/

with a 200 foot deep well and water at 175 feet i would do that soon,
since its only producing 7 GPM most new well minimum is 40 to 50 GPM

400 or 500 feet should do it, keep your old well intact for washing
cars and watering plants etc.

you can use it for that and know with your new well much deeper those
activites wouldnt ever run you out of water
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 7:04 am, wrote:
Hello, I have a residence with a deep water well. This well is
exactly
200' deep and water is at around the 175' level. The pump is located
about 4' off of the bottom with approximately 20' of water above it.
The well is 12" inside diameter steel cased. I checked with the
county
and they do not have any record of the well so it is probably 40
years
old or more. This well produces anywhere from 1 gpm to 7 gpm and the
rate does not seem to matter if we are having a wet or dry season. I
am curious if there is any consensus from people on this newsgroup if
I should try to improve this well or have another one put in.
Currently, the production is adequate, but just barely. The well is
located in the hills in central California. Thanks for suggestions.

Call a local well driller. Where I live, they do "hydrofracking"
which is basically a blast of high pressure water that will fracture
the surrounding material and allow water to flow into your well
faster. But whether this is available or is something that would even
work in your area is something I have no idea about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello, I have a residence with a deep water well. This well is
exactly
200' deep and water is at around the 175' level. The pump is located
about 4' off of the bottom with approximately 20' of water above it.
The well is 12" inside diameter steel cased. I checked with the
county
and they do not have any record of the well so it is probably 40
years
old or more. This well produces anywhere from 1 gpm to 7 gpm and the
rate does not seem to matter if we are having a wet or dry season. I
am curious if there is any consensus from people on this newsgroup if
I should try to improve this well or have another one put in.
Currently, the production is adequate, but just barely. The well is
located in the hills in central California. Thanks for suggestions.

hydro-fracking is a process that may help the existing well :
http://www.des.state.nh.us/factsheets/ws/ws-1-3.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

with only 25 feet of water, i think it would be a waste of money.
besides a deeper well helps guarantee dependable water during a
drought.

has the wells production always been so low?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 5:51Â*am, " wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

has the wells production always been so low?- Hide quoted text -

I have been owned this home for 4 years and it has always produced
between 1 and 7 gpm. The depth to water has remained pretty constant.
It varies 3 or 4 feet throughout the year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 6, 8:29?am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Drilling it deeper doesn't necessarily produce more water either, just more
head. The houses around me, all have 600- 1000 foot wells, and some multiple
wells, none of which produce sufficient water, while my well hit the sweet
spot @ 160 feet deep it's so good I fill my 32,000 gal swimming pool with it
and never had a problem in over 10 years

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I'd advise is to put a couple of large holding tanks on it & let
it replenish them at it's own rate.
I'd also advise a booster pump between the holding / pressure tanks
and the house.
My personal setup: 2- 80 gallon pressure tanks, and an 18gmp booster
pump. That keeps pressure at around
80psi, and volume is never a problem.
I wasn't ever cavitating my well pump to begin with, but this is just
nice. Great shower pressure, no problem washing cars or hosing down
concrete.

On Apr 6, 8:13 am, wrote:

On Apr 6, 5:51 am, " wrote:

On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

200' deep and water is at around the 175' level. The pump is located
about 4' off of the bottom with approximately 20' of water above it.

I should try to improve this well or have another one put in.
Currently, the production is adequate, but just barely. The well is
located in the hills in central California. Thanks for suggestions.

hydro-fracking is a process that may help the existing well

with only 25 feet of water, i think it would be a waste of money.
besides a deeper well helps guarantee dependable water during a
drought.

If there is 25ft of water head above the pump, that's quite a lot,
actually -- many residential wells would feel quite fortunate to have
half that--particularly if it doesn't drop during dry weather means it
isn't a surface-supplied aquifer.

There's no way anybody on this group can have any clue whatsoever about
the hydrology of the well in question. Going deeper doesn't guarantee a
thing--there could be nothing but granite below; there could be a layer
of salt water or oil/gas to contaminate what he currently has.

Fracturing is a possibility that actually from the well description has
a reasonable chance--there's demonstrated water head, just apparently
not enough refresh into the hole. Altho even that isn't really
assured--it may be there's simply a small pump or discharge line on the
existing pump that is limiting output or the pump impellers are worn.

The only reasonable advice is to ask for local help altho OP has learned
of a technique that he can ask about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 9:31Â*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

the hydrology of the well in question. Â*Going deeper doesn't guarantee a
thing--there could be nothing but granite below; there could be a layer
of salt water or oil/gas to contaminate what he currently has.

Fracturing is a possibility that actually from the well description has
a reasonable chance--there's demonstrated water head, just apparently
not enough refresh into the hole. Â*Altho even that isn't really
assured--it may be there's simply a small pump or discharge line on the
existing pump that is limiting output or the pump impellers are worn.

The only reasonable advice is to ask for local help altho OP has learned
of a technique that he can ask about.

a friend had his well fractured, it was like 50 years old..........

it collapsed soon after he paid to have it done and needed a new well
anyway, which was the drillers advice to start with..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 6:31Â*am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Hello, Should have mentioned that I had all of the plumbing,
electrical and the pump in the well replaced when I moved in 4 years
ago. The pump moves 10gpm to a 2500 gallon tank and a jet pump
supplies water to the house and sprinklers.I have a current sensing
pump protector on the pump to protect it when it pumps the well dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 6, 9:31 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:29?am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Yep, and in your narrow minded way of thinking, because your friend's well
collapsed, all wells collapse. There are several methods to fracture a well,
and hydro-fracking is the most controlled method, designed to prevent
collapse, but as in life, **** happens

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 6, 6:50Â*am, " wrote:
On Apr 6, 9:31Â*am, dpb wrote:

wrote:
On Apr 6, 8:29�am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

anyway, which was the drillers advice to start with..- Hide quoted text -

O.K. enough already. You are putting out misleading if not outright
false information.

1. Your "friend" tried the cheapest method first. It didn't work.
That's life. Very few wells 'collapse'.

2. New wells produce 40-50 gmp!!! Good luck finding many at that
rate. How much a well will produce _if water is found_ is fairly
predictable but it depends on the area where the well is. Many areas
expect no more than around 4-gpm and have to live with it.

3. Drill deeper so you have storage? Did you ever calculate what a
100 ft 6" hole dilled through granite will:
a. cost?
b. How little water it actually holds?

4. Forget about the current well!! He already has a 6" hole drilled
way down there, tehy can go right back into that hole and drill deeper
if _LOCAL_ drilleers think it will do any good. True that the hole
will have to be less than 6" but that is no problem.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

[...]

How much water do you need?
There are a lot of things about your local geology / hydrology
that we don't know. In some areas the water table may vary almost
not all all from year to year or seasonally. In others it may
vary a lot. Of course, when the water table goes below the
level of the pump your yield goes to zero.

You don't say whether you use a storage tank, or whether your
definition of adequacy is based on the instantaneous yield vs.
consumption or averaged over a day or so. If you are not using
a storage tank and the well
is just barely adequate, then the well will probably be adequate
with a tank, as long as the water table does not drop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I work with one those Halerb types. No matter what comes up in
conversation, he's had one bigger, faster, worse, neighbor story,
or whatever; or, at least, oh, be careful, it might . . . . ..
Never just - oh, I hadn't ever heard of that.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"dpb" wrote in message

a friend had his well fractured, it was like 50 years
old..........

it collapsed soon after he paid to have it done and needed a
new well
anyway, which was the drillers advice to start with..

Well, the suggestion to OP was to get local advice. If one gets
advice from a qualified person and chooses to ignore it, ...

BTW, is there _any_ phenomenon or disaster you don't have a
friend who has had it occur to?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

This well produces anywhere from 1 gpm to 7 gpm and the
rate does not seem to matter if we are having a wet or dry season.

Thinking about this some more leaves me yet more puzzled than before --
is this a recharge rate of some sort, and if it doesn't change by
season, then with what _does_ it change and how do you know? While not
a huge difference in absolute magnitude, it's a factor of nearly 10 in
relative which seems something sizable must be influencing it...

W/O far more info and most of which would be useless to anyone here as
no amount of usenet posting can possibly make up for not being on site
and familiar w/ the local hydrology, I'll simply note that if this is,
indeed a makeup or recharge rate, then in the long run your maximum
theoretical output per day is somewhere between roughly 1500-10,000 gal.

Assuming a middle figure of 5 for simplicity, if you're pumping at 10
but recharging at 5, then it would be a net of 5 gpm and the previous 10
min would be closer to 20 and you would net 200 gal/cycle max, and need
20 min to recharge the 100 gal reservoir. That of course, is way overly
simplistic as undoubtedly the recharge rate probably decreases as one
continues to pump, but that would give you a rough idea of how to come
up w/ an acceptable duty cycle as a starting point. Undoubtedly it
would require trial and error to ascertain the actual supportable.

As another poster noted, you need to see what your needed output
is--unless you're running livestock or small nursery or similar, sounds
like you should have more than enough water for a single residence. If
not, conservation may be in order...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message

a friend had his well fractured, it was like 50 years
old..........

it collapsed soon after he paid to have it done and needed a
new well
anyway, which was the drillers advice to start with..

Well, the suggestion to OP was to get local advice. �If one gets
advice from a qualified person and chooses to ignore it, ...

BTW, is there _any_ phenomenon or disaster you don't have a
friend who has had it occur to? �

my father in law has err had a 20 year old well that was
failing.........

local driller said go with new well, at 3 times the depth of the old
one......

which he did and has 40 GPM for nearly a unlimited time.........

i report what i know you can take it or leave it.

at least the OP knows that fracturing might collapse his well.......
and then he has no water at all.......

which is why most drillers prefer drilling a new well.......

standards change, the well casing on a old well mght be leaking, and
cause health issues later. old wells were sometimes put close to the
septic field, a obvious hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

I should try to improve this well or have another one put in.

http://www.tanko.com/equipment.html

Here's a pretty good overall discussion of issues to consider...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
What I'd advise is to put a couple of large holding tanks on it & let
it replenish them at it's own rate.
I'd also advise a booster pump between the holding / pressure tanks
and the house.
My personal setup: 2- 80 gallon pressure tanks, and an 18gmp booster
pump. That keeps pressure at around
80psi, and volume is never a problem.
I wasn't ever cavitating my well pump to begin with, but this is just
nice. Great shower pressure, no problem washing cars or hosing down
concrete.

I like this idea. It has the added advantage of buying you some time if
something goes amiss.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
Eric in North TX wrote:
What I'd advise is to put a couple of large holding tanks on it & let
it replenish them at it's own rate.

I like this idea. It has the added advantage of buying you some time if
something goes amiss.

If you have a short supply well, consider some of the suggestions in the
link I posted earlier -- it has some ideas I hadn't thought of not
having ever had the problem.

Home Improvement floren Home Repair 0 January 14th 08 10:48 AM
Home Improvement Brandon Home Repair 0 June 29th 07 05:26 AM
Home Improvement DIY [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 20th 07 12:22 PM
DeWalt's improvement? Wally Woodworking 1 July 18th 05 03:50 PM
IRS improvement or repair? Rob Home Ownership 4 March 21st 05 06:38 PM