Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent light buzzes

In my garage, I have a fluorescent fixture with two 40W "bulbs". It
worked OK for quite a while, then began that awful buzzing. I noticed
that one of the bulbs had burned out, so I removed it, but the
remaining one continues to buzz.

Any clues? Does that mean the demise of the remaining bulb is at
hand? Or? Your input appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2010 12:01 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
In my garage, I have a fluorescent fixture with two 40W "bulbs". It
worked OK for quite a while, then began that awful buzzing. I noticed
that one of the bulbs had burned out, so I removed it, but the
remaining one continues to buzz.

Any clues? Does that mean the demise of the remaining bulb is at
hand? Or? Your input appreciated.

Probably needs two tubes to operate properly, but also likely has a
magnetic ballast which is either loose in its mount and vibrating or is
just old, and if replaced will likely be much quieter (use an electronic
ballast if you like silence)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 9:12*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 06/19/2010 12:01 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

In my garage, I have a fluorescent fixture with two 40W "bulbs". *It
worked OK for quite a while, then began that awful buzzing. *I noticed
that one of the bulbs had burned out, so I removed it, but the
remaining one continues to buzz.

Any clues? *Does that mean the demise of the remaining bulb is at
hand? *Or? *Your input appreciated.

Probably needs two tubes to operate properly, but also likely has a
magnetic ballast which is either loose in its mount and vibrating or is
just old, and if replaced will likely be much quieter (use an electronic
ballast if you like silence)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2010 06:51 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 18, 9:12 pm, Nate wrote:
[...]

Ballasts are cheap, and not hard to replace. You might need some orange
wire nuts. What are the tubes? someone (I'll let someone else do it,
because I have no experience with any particular new ballasts) could
probably recommend a specific model knowing what tubes you have and what
voltage they're being fed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

If your hand fits a screwdriver, it's a simple enough job to tighten the
screws and see if the hum goes away.

If a new bulb won't light, you may have a defective ground.

To replace a ballast, take the old one to a box store and tell the clerk you
want to replace it. Five out of seven times he'll give you the right one.
Wiring instructions come with the ballast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

If your hand fits a screwdriver, it's a simple enough job to tighten the
screws and see if the hum goes away.

If a new bulb won't light, you may have a defective ground.

To replace a ballast, take the old one to a box store and tell the clerk
you want to replace it. Five out of seven times he'll give you the right
one. Wiring instructions come with the ballast.

It is not usually the ballast that is loose from the mounting bracket, but
the inside of the ballast is loose. No way to tighten it up as a general
rule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/19/2010 11:02 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

If your hand fits a screwdriver, it's a simple enough job to tighten the
screws and see if the hum goes away.

If a new bulb won't light, you may have a defective ground.

To replace a ballast, take the old one to a box store and tell the clerk
you want to replace it. Five out of seven times he'll give you the right
one. Wiring instructions come with the ballast.

It is not usually the ballast that is loose from the mounting bracket, but
the inside of the ballast is loose. No way to tighten it up as a general
rule.

I've experienced both... sometimes tightening the mounting screw(s)
does in fact yield the desired results. Sometimes not.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 9:12 pm, Nate wrote:
On 06/19/2010 12:01 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

In my garage, I have a fluorescent fixture with two 40W "bulbs". It
worked OK for quite a while, then began that awful buzzing. I noticed
that one of the bulbs had burned out, so I removed it, but the
remaining one continues to buzz.

Any clues? Does that mean the demise of the remaining bulb is at
hand? Or? Your input appreciated.

Ballasts are cheap, and not hard to replace. You might need some orange
wire nuts.

nate

I'm curious-- why would you specify the color of the wire nuts? The
color is cosmetic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 9:12 pm, Nate wrote:
On 06/19/2010 12:01 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ballasts are cheap, and not hard to replace. You might need some orange
wire nuts.

nate

I'm curious-- why would you specify the color of the wire nuts? The color
is cosmetic.

Some companies code their wire nuts by color to the size and number of wires
to be used. I don't know if there is a standard color or not. At work I
have used thousands of them from 2 or 3 makers. They seem to be the same
size for the same color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 9:12 pm, Nate wrote:
On 06/19/2010 12:01 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Ballasts are cheap, and not hard to replace. You might need some orange
wire nuts.

nate

I'm curious-- why would you specify the color of the wire nuts? The color
is cosmetic.

Some companies code their wire nuts by color to the size and number of wires
to be used. I don't know if there is a standard color or not. At work I
have used thousands of them from 2 or 3 makers. They seem to be the same
size for the same color.

Yeah, what he said. Orange are typically used for fixture pigtails or
splicing small gauge wires. Yellow for typical splicing of 2 or 3 #14
or #12 conductors. Red for bigger splices. Don't have the actual
ratings handy, but they're printed on the container. I think at least
Ideal and Buchanan both use roughly those color codes, and there are
also some other sizes available, and those three cover 95% of what you
need to have around for around the house repairs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

If your hand fits a screwdriver, it's a simple enough job to tighten the
screws and see if the hum goes away.

If a new bulb won't light, you may have a defective ground.

To replace a ballast, take the old one to a box store and tell the clerk
you want to replace it. Five out of seven times he'll give you the right
one. Wiring instructions come with the ballast.

It is not usually the ballast that is loose from the mounting bracket, but
the inside of the ballast is loose. No way to tighten it up as a general
rule.

A good whack with a hammer might tighten it up.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.