Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Fluorescent light buzzes

On Jun 18, 9:12*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 06/19/2010 12:01 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

In my garage, I have a fluorescent fixture with two 40W "bulbs". *It
worked OK for quite a while, then began that awful buzzing. *I noticed
that one of the bulbs had burned out, so I removed it, but the
remaining one continues to buzz.

Any clues? *Does that mean the demise of the remaining bulb is at
hand? *Or? *Your input appreciated.

Probably needs two tubes to operate properly, but also likely has a
magnetic ballast which is either loose in its mount and vibrating or is
just old, and if replaced will likely be much quieter (use an electronic
ballast if you like silence)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

TIA