Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default fluorescent light

I Was told that it is cheaper to switch fluorescent lights on then
leave them on, than it is to keep switching them on and off, Can
anyone tell me if this is true or not?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Answer here...
http://www.lightingdesignlab.com/art...luorescent.htm

"LIKLIK" wrote in message
I Was told that it is cheaper to switch fluorescent lights on then
leave them on, than it is to keep switching them on and off, Can
anyone tell me if this is true or not?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Note:
The article concludes that the cut-off is somewhere around 15min.
It is also based on 1988 research and applies to mostly to long tubes
not screw-in replacements, and an electrical cost of $.05/KWH. Also no
mention of replacement costs of the lamp and/or ballast.

A rough guess for modern balasts (especially cheapo screw-ins) and
higher costs would be 5 min. or less.
I recently saw the screw-in CFs for $.99 each, at that point I can
afford to loose a few!

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

PS: Modern technology has a method for making virtually all light bulbs
last forever. A small device, when employed in the "off" position it
prevents normal failure.
;-)

"LIKLIK" wrote in message
I Was told that it is cheaper to switch fluorescent lights on then
leave them on, than it is to keep switching them on and off, Can
anyone tell me if this is true or not?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
RnR RnR is offline

On 26 Oct 2006 12:01:18 -0700, "RickR" wrote:

Note:
The article concludes that the cut-off is somewhere around 15min.
It is also based on 1988 research and applies to mostly to long tubes
not screw-in replacements, and an electrical cost of $.05/KWH. Also no
mention of replacement costs of the lamp and/or ballast.

A rough guess for modern balasts (especially cheapo screw-ins) and
higher costs would be 5 min. or less.
I recently saw the screw-in CFs for $.99 each, at that point I can
afford to loose a few!

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

PS: Modern technology has a method for making virtually all light bulbs
last forever. A small device, when employed in the "off" position it
prevents normal failure.

Not based on what the Thomas Edison museum in Florida told me in the
70's. Back then, they said the old bulbs (on at the time) of T.
Edison could last forever. It made everyone on the tour, gasp in
amazement. Of course I'd like to hear from others who have been on
that tour 20 plus years later to tell me if those bulbs were still on.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

RnR wrote:

Not based on what the Thomas Edison museum in Florida told me in the
70's. Back then, they said the old bulbs (on at the time) of T.
Edison could last forever. It made everyone on the tour, gasp in
amazement. Of course I'd like to hear from others who have been on
that tour 20 plus years later to tell me if those bulbs were still on.

Don't know about the Edison museum (in Florida?) but the oldest
continuously burning light bulb can be seen he
http://www.centennialbulb.org/

It's in a fire house in California.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Hmm,
On the one hand we have scientific research, backed by decades of
practial experience all over the world.
On the other hand we have a 30 year old memory of museum tour guide.

Note that the closer a bulb approximates "off", the longer it lasts.
This part is not a joke, just basic engineering.

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

wrote:
RnR wrote:

Not based on what the Thomas Edison museum in Florida told me in the
70's. Back then, they said the old bulbs (on at the time) of T.
Edison could last forever. It made everyone on the tour, gasp in
amazement. Of course I'd like to hear from others who have been on
that tour 20 plus years later to tell me if those bulbs were still on.

Don't know about the Edison museum (in Florida?) but the oldest
continuously burning light bulb can be seen he
http://www.centennialbulb.org/

It's in a fire house in California.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 27 Oct 2006 10:12:23 -0700, "RickR" wrote:

Hmm,
On the one hand we have scientific research, backed by decades of

Ok, tell us where???? Otherwise you're just BS (not LC)
Posted to misc.consumers.house

My note was a response to Bill and the referenced article.

It is an article at a utility sponsored outreach lab, by highly
qualified staff. That article contains further references to a specific
paper as the basis for its conclusions.

Further information can be gathered from almost any reliable source,
i.e. universities, lamp manufacturers, books, but not third party
memories. The single largest source I am aware of, (since we are
dealing with many fine details that are well beyond the capacity of a
newsgroup,) is the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America:
www.iesna.org and its record of peer-reviewed papers that covers over
100 years of research from virtually all industry sources, currently
named LEUKOS.

Richard Reid, LC*
Luminous Views*

*LC is a designation by the National Council on Qualifications for the
Lighting Professions: www.ncqlp.org for details
*Luminous Views is my company that does lighting design and
consultation for architectural projects. www.luminousviews.com

Is that enough background for you?

jim wrote:
On 27 Oct 2006 10:12:23 -0700, "RickR" wrote:

Hmm,
On the one hand we have scientific research, backed by decades of

Ok, tell us where???? Otherwise you're just BS (not LC)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 29 Oct 2006 16:27:35 -0800, "RickR" wrote:

My note was a response to Bill and the referenced article.

It is an article at a utility sponsored outreach lab, by highly
qualified staff. That article contains further references to a specific
paper as the basis for its conclusions.

Further information can be gathered from almost any reliable source,
i.e. universities, lamp manufacturers, books, but not third party
memories. The single largest source I am aware of, (since we are
dealing with many fine details that are well beyond the capacity of a
newsgroup,) is the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America:
www.iesna.org and its record of peer-reviewed papers that covers over
100 years of research from virtually all industry sources, currently
named LEUKOS.

Richard Reid, LC*
Luminous Views*

Wow, I'm impressed.. a lighting professional. Guess that should
impress me more than an Electrical Engineer.. not!

Seems like you don't believe in memories so why don't you go visit the
Edison Museum and see if the lights still glow and report back to us.