Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Fluorescent light buzzes

On 06/19/2010 11:02 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks for suggestions. I can't see why a fixture only 3 years old
max would have a loose ballast. Nobody goes near the fixture; it just
hangs up there. I don't know how to replace a ballast, (a), and (b)
the cost might exceed just getting a new fixture.

Feedback?

If your hand fits a screwdriver, it's a simple enough job to tighten the
screws and see if the hum goes away.

If a new bulb won't light, you may have a defective ground.

To replace a ballast, take the old one to a box store and tell the clerk
you want to replace it. Five out of seven times he'll give you the right
one. Wiring instructions come with the ballast.

It is not usually the ballast that is loose from the mounting bracket, but
the inside of the ballast is loose. No way to tighten it up as a general
rule.

I've experienced both... sometimes tightening the mounting screw(s)
does in fact yield the desired results. Sometimes not.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel