Posted to alt.home.repair

Default If you had roofing work done:

If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 6:32�pm, Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

did you inspect the chimney and cap from above?

in places with freezing weather a cracked cap can let water get
between the liner and chimney bricks, the rain water freezes and
expands the liner breaks and falls down blocking the flue...

it nearly killed my family, a friend happened to stop to visit he is a
volunteer fireman and realized the symptoms which began to effect him
too was carbon monoxide.

the roof had been replaced but the roofer didnt fix the badly
detoriated cap
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Thanks for thinking of us, but up here in cold country, almost nobody
has recessed lights (heat leaks unless you get the expensive kind or
build a box around them), and furnaces are in the frigging basement
where they belong.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Say what? Using your analogy, if I had my windows replaced, I should be
complaining they didn't fix my steps on the deck.

Do you not have your heating components checked, and expect anyone NOT
qualified to go ahead and just fix stuff?

I do believe if a roofer were to fix a HVAC problem, they could be sued, or
at least have their license revoked.

Does that mean, next time I have a HVAC person in, to complain they didn't
clean my gutters?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:51:18 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Thanks for thinking of us, but up here in cold country, almost nobody
has recessed lights (heat leaks unless you get the expensive kind or
build a box around them), and furnaces are in the frigging basement
where they belong.

well you still have to check it when you put in a new basement floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Huh?
Our furnace is in the basement.
I have a metal roof which will last more than 50 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Thanks for thinking of us, but up here in cold country, almost nobody
has recessed lights (heat leaks unless you get the expensive kind or
build a box around them), and furnaces are in the frigging basement
where they belong.

well you still have to check it when you put in a new basement floor.

Hi,
Of course, whole house shakes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 5:32*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Did you check to see rotted wood was replaced, flashing inserted on
the chimney not just caulked on, proper grade of nails used. Ive been
cheated all the time, you should have gotten a permit and the free
inspection, then paid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

True up to a point- the tradesman should not DO any work outside of his
license and skill set, but most tradesmen a generalists to a degree, and
they should definitely Speak Up about any problems they note while
working on whatever they were hired for. So if the roofer (or more
likely, the guy up on the roof doing the estimate) notices problems with
the chimney, he should say 'hey while I was up there, I noticed
something that you should probably take care of before we strip your
roof off.'

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

3. If your dryer vent exited through the roof, does it still do so after the
roofers leave?
4. While we're at it, does the gas water heater vent still vent through the
roof?
5. Not connected to the possible fire issue, but do the sewer vents still
vent through the roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

This _may_ be true, "if" the problem existed b/4 the roof was done. It may
also be true "if" they were looking for problems.

It would be like blaming a plumber replacing a soil stack, the roof is
leaking & they didn't mention the roof was bad.

Way too many people don't want to take responsibility as a home owner. If
one is not capable of finding problems or potential problems with their
home, they should hire a home inspector. Blaming a roofer for _not_ finding
a HVAC problem or masonry problem, which _may_ or may _not_ existed, is
showing how irresponsible of a homeowner they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 7:28*pm, "Tyler" wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message

Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

showing how irresponsible of a homeowner they are.- Hide quoted text -

Tyler wrote:

Way too many people don't want to take responsibility as a home owner.
If
one is not capable of finding problems or potential problems with
their
home, they should hire a home inspector. Blaming a roofer for _not_
finding
a HVAC problem or masonry problem, which _may_ or may _not_ existed,
is
showing how irresponsible of a homeowner they are.

We’re not talking about finding a “HVAC problem”. We’re talking about
finding a life threatening hazardous situation. According to your
logic if the furnace or water heater vent doesn’t have a bucket where
it enters the roof then the roofer shouldn’t be responsible for just
roofing around it like the previous roofer did, or I shouldn’t be
responsible if I shove your ninety year old grandmother when she gets
in front of me on line even if she does drop dead of a heart attack.
As for knowing if the problem existed before or not, it is part of the
preliminary work site inspection to look UNDER the roof as well as
over it; and yes life is a bitch, and then you die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:32:12 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Would be kinda difficult with the furnace in the basement - - - - -
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Thanks for thinking of us, but up here in cold country, almost nobody
has recessed lights (heat leaks unless you get the expensive kind or
build a box around them), and furnaces are in the frigging basement
where they belong.

well you still have to check it when you put in a new basement floor.

The floor generally outlasts the house built over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

around here the roofer is supposed to inspect the chimney cap when
doing a complete re roof.

the roof was replaced in july, the carbon monoxide poisioning in
december

so it definetely was a problem when the roof was replaced.

and since my ladder doesnt reach to the chimney height and i dont like
heights to begin with its the roofers job and a pretty easy one at
that.........

I have replaced chimney caps on other homes since then.

Inspect cap if its cracked remove broken masonary, clean area so new
cement sticks.

Mix new cement and place neatly and finish so its smooth. Mostly the
hassle is the inconvenient location.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Thanks for thinking of us, but up here in cold country, almost nobody
has recessed lights (heat leaks unless you get the expensive kind or
build a box around them), and furnaces are in the frigging basement
where they belong.

well you still have to check it when you put in a new basement floor.

The floor generally outlasts the house built over it.

Oh. Well, what if you have to dig it up to bury someone? Be sure to
check the furnace for parts dislodged by the jack hammer vibration.
Crime Detective, June 1988, page 114.

Hehe-- My friends are always asking who I have buried in the
basement. For 20 years I've been lowering the floor in the basement
of my 100yr old house. Last summer I removed the furnace & lowered
that section. I guess I'm lucky the furnace was outside [in pieces]
when I was running the Stomper down there.

Now the only part of the basement that has a new, permanent floor is
the 6x10 slab that the new furnace sits on.

I do use a Bosch demo-hammer to break up the clay- so next time I'm
digging down there I'll keep an eye on the new furnace. [the old
'floor', an inch of rotten concrete comes up easy]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message

We’re not talking about finding a “HVAC problem”. We’re talking about
finding a life threatening hazardous situation. According to your
logic if the furnace or water heater vent doesn’t have a bucket where
it enters the roof then the roofer shouldn’t be responsible for just
roofing around it like the previous roofer did, or I shouldn’t be
responsible if I shove your ninety year old grandmother when she gets
in front of me on line even if she does drop dead of a heart attack.
As for knowing if the problem existed before or not, it is part of the
preliminary work site inspection to look UNDER the roof as well as
over it; and yes life is a bitch, and then you die.

I see I struck a nerve about being irresponsible. A _responsible_ homeowner
would have at least 1 CO detector, a lot of homeowner's have two CO
detectors. One shouldn't have to wait for a someone to tell you, the
symptoms you have are from CO, then try to blame a contractor, which has
nothing to do with it. That is irresponsibility at it's finest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:28:08 -0400, "Tyler" wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
om...
Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Well, if they want repeat customers and referrals, they take the 2
minutes to look at what's up there when they're up there. It's not
like the deck and the windows which are easy to look at. It's almost
never easy to get up on the roof (unless a window looks out on it),
and the older people get the harder it gets. And a sloped roof gets
riskier the older one is.

That is what home inspectors are for. Aside from that, a responsible
homeowner will have CO detectors. Who are you going to blame about _not_
having CO detectors?

You don't wait for someone to tell you, the symptoms you have, are from CO
poisioning. Sooner or later, people have to take on being a responsible
homeowner, whether they like it or not. You can't keep pointing fingers,
believing that excuses you from being responsible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 12:32�pm, "Tyler" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 22:28:08 -0400, "Tyler" wrote:

"aemeijers" wrote in message
om...
Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

believing that excuses you from being responsible.- Hide quoted text -

at the time this occured CO detectors for homes werent
available ..........

and the chimey sweep who I had fix it stated clearly it should of been
fixed by the roofer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 6:32*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Umm... If the roofer is only doing work on the outside surface of
your
roof, then anything that happens inside the attic other than the
appearance
of a water leak in the new roof isn't the roofer's problem... Making
sure
your attic is clean inside would only be within the roofer's scope of
work
if they had to replace the roof decking and had to strip your roof
down
to the rafters... Otherwise, cleaning up INSIDE your house is your
responsibility unless you arrange for your contractor to take care of
that extra work for you at an additional expense because you are
either unable or unwilling to do it yourself...

Saying that a contractor is required to OR SHOULD be checking up on
your house on things way outside the scope of their work is crazy...
It
shows that you really don't know enough about home repairs to do more
than ask silly questions on a newsgroup...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:32:30 -0400, "Tyler" wrote:

.. .

"aemeijers" wrote in message
news:hLCdnez7ZtA_e4_RnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@giganews. com...
Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

And I don't put much stock in home inspectors either. Several friends
of mine ARE home inspectors - and nothing against them, but I know of
others that can make a mountain out of a molehill, and then turn
around and miss Mount Everest.

You don't wait for someone to tell you, the symptoms you have, are from CO
poisioning. Sooner or later, people have to take on being a responsible
homeowner, whether they like it or not. You can't keep pointing fingers,
believing that excuses you from being responsible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:28:11 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jun 11, 6:32Â*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

All this is true on a solid roof deck - like plywood or (gasp) OSB -
but what about on a roof where the board decking has 1 inch (or more)
gaps, like on many of the roofs I've stripped in years and decades
past????
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If the roofer did not cut a hole into the roof or go up in the attic
access some aspect of the job, cleaning the attic is not within the
scope of the roofing work...

Someone who is that anal to want whatever small debris that would
fall into the attic from a roofing job to be cleaned up by the
contractor
doing the roofing work has other issues they need to address which
have nothing to do with home repair...

BTW, I have only seen some roofs with the gaps in the sheeting
which used solid roofing materials like wooden shakes or slate tiles,
as asphalt shingles require a solid deck to be used on a roof...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 11, 6:32Â*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Umm... Â*If the roofer is only doing work on the outside surface of
your
roof, then anything that happens inside the attic other than the
appearance
of a water leak in the new roof isn't the roofer's problem... Â*Making
sure
your attic is clean inside would only be within the roofer's scope of
work
if they had to replace the roof decking and had to strip your roof
down
to the rafters... Â*Otherwise, cleaning up INSIDE your house is your
[...]

I've removed a fair amount of Cedar over the years, as well as the
old interlocking asphalt shingles that were installed on open board
sheathing. Then there's the "old" tin shingle, as well as standing
seam and corrugated metal.
Generally requires laying plywood over the boards for modern 3-tab or
architectural shingles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've seen shingles used with 1x roof decking. It was quite common up to
perhaps fifty years ago. Those houses haven't gone anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

They are talking about skip sheathing, which was common before asphalt
roofs, so as to keep the bottom of the wood shingles dry.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 12, 12:27*pm, "Tyler" wrote:.

I see I struck a nerve about being irresponsible. A _responsible_ homeowner
would have at least 1 CO detector, a lot of homeowner's have two CO
detectors.

In a total electric home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 12:27 pm, "Tyler" wrote:.
I see I struck a nerve about being irresponsible. A _responsible_ homeowner
would have at least 1 CO detector, a lot of homeowner's have two CO
detectors.

In a total electric home?

Any females in the house, with the usual curling irons, stinky candles,
flat irons, crockpots, ad infinitum? Any fireplaces, gas or wood? Any
soldering irons? Ever put up a Christmas tree with old-style light bulbs
on it? 'Total electric' does not eliminate the chance of CO problems,
it just reduces them. Anything hot near anything that can burn can
produce a slow smoldering fire.

I need to get one myself, but since I live alone, none of the above
apply to me. Furnace and water heater, both gas fired, are my only two
plausible ignition points. Just never got a round tuit.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 13, 7:08*am, aemeijers wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 12:27 pm, "Tyler" wrote:.
I see I struck a nerve about being irresponsible. A _responsible_ homeowner
would have at least 1 CO detector, a lot of homeowner's have two CO
detectors.

In a total electric home?

Any females in the house, with the usual curling irons, stinky candles,
flat irons, crockpots, ad infinitum? Any fireplaces, gas or wood? Any
soldering irons? Ever put up a Christmas tree with old-style light bulbs
on it? *'Total electric' does not eliminate the chance of CO problems,
it just reduces them. Anything hot near anything that can burn can
produce a slow smoldering fire.

I need to get one *myself, but since I live alone, none of the above
apply to me. Furnace and water heater, both gas fired, are my only two
plausible ignition points. Just never got a round tuit.

--
aem sends...

I live alone too, and if I die from CO poisoning from a candle or
Crock-Pot....then so be it. If I start living with a female again and
I die from a curling iron...then so be it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jun 12, 12:27 pm, "Tyler" wrote:.

I see I struck a nerve about being irresponsible. A _responsible_
homeowner
would have at least 1 CO detector, a lot of homeowner's have two CO
detectors.

In a total electric home?

LOL... Well, then they wouldn't have had a problem with the furnace flue in
the first place. Would they?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jun 12, 12:32?pm, "Tyler" wrote:

at the time this occurred CO detectors for homes weren't
available ..........

and the chimney sweep who I had fix it stated clearly it should of been
fixed by the roofer

Interesting take. Why would you call a chimney sweep, since you claim it's
a roofer's job?

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, and no.

However, I don't think that smearing some tar and press on some
fiberglass of a trailer will knock the access panels off my furnace.
Nor drop dust on my lights.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
If you had roofing work done:

1. Did you check your attic to see if there is debris on the furnace
or recessed lighting?
2. Did you check to see if the covers on your furnace did not fall off
from the vibration from all the hammering?
These are fire hazards that a good roofer should have checked for and
a bad roofer may not have at the end of the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:32:30 -0400, "Tyler" wrote:

.. .

Tyler wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Huh? Things deteriorate over time. How often is a homeowner going to
hire a home inspector to inspect the whole home, when almost nothing
has changed. Or do they have a special rate for things on the roof?

At any rate, how often do you hire a home inspector? The guy is ON
the roof already. At the very least, if he knows nothing, he could
look at the chimney and say it if is crumbling. Or that the cap is
half=way off, if he can't tell it's missing when it's totally missing.

Aside from that, a responsible
homeowner will have CO detectors.

There can be a lot of deterioration before it actually causes CO. Or
there could be nothing wrong yet except the missing cap. If the
roofer wants his business to grow, he should spend a 2 or 4 hours and
find out how to inspect a chimney, etc. That will either set him
apart from the average roofer and get him much approval if he notices
something important, or if other roofers already know, he won't be
looking worse than they anymore.

Who are you going to blame about _not_
having CO detectors?

I don't look for people to blame. That's your theory about other
people.

You don't wait for someone to tell you, the symptoms you have, are from CO
poisioning.

In this case someone had symptoms. In other cases, there is a visible
problem on the roof but no symptoms inside the house.

Sooner or later, people have to take on being a responsible
homeowner, whether they like it or not. You can't keep pointing fingers,
believing that excuses you from being responsible.

No one is doing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Ron wrote:
On Jun 12, 12:27 pm, "Tyler" wrote:.
[...]

I knew a guy who was curled to death. He made a circle 24 inches in
diameter. Had to be uncurled to fit in the coffin.