Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI breaker on hardwired pool pump?

My understanding is that code now requires a GFCI on hardwired
residential pool pumps? I'm going to be doing some modification work
on an existing circuit, essentially adding an additional electronic
pump controller that would work in conjunction with the existing
mechanical timer. It will be inspected and AFAIK, this means I need
to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI, correct? Pumps in
question are two 1hp 240V pumps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My understanding is that code now requires a GFCI on hardwired
residential pool pumps? I'm going to be doing some modification work
on an existing circuit, essentially adding an additional electronic
pump controller that would work in conjunction with the existing
mechanical timer. It will be inspected and AFAIK, this means I need
to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI, correct? Pumps in
question are two 1hp 240V pumps.

Correct, it use to be that GFCI protection was only required with cord and
plug connections. Nec 680.22B, now requires GFCI protection regardless of
connection method

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 5:46*pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

My understanding is that code now requires a GFCI on hardwired
residential pool pumps? *I'm going to be doing some modification work
on an existing circuit, essentially adding an additional electronic
pump controller that would work in conjunction with the existing
mechanical timer. * *It will be inspected and AFAIK, this means I need
to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI, correct? *Pumps in
question are two 1hp 240V pumps.

Correct, it use to be that GFCI protection was only required with cord and
plug connections. Nec 680.22B, now requires GFCI protection regardless of
connection method

Thanks much RBM for the quick answer. I guess that's another $100
out the window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jun 10, 5:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

My understanding is that code now requires a GFCI on hardwired
residential pool pumps? I'm going to be doing some modification work
on an existing circuit, essentially adding an additional electronic
pump controller that would work in conjunction with the existing
mechanical timer. It will be inspected and AFAIK, this means I need
to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI, correct? Pumps in
question are two 1hp 240V pumps.

Correct, it use to be that GFCI protection was only required with cord and
plug connections. Nec 680.22B, now requires GFCI protection regardless of
connection method

Thanks much RBM for the quick answer. I guess that's another $100
out the window.

That beats my pool, which needs around 30K. With three kids soon heading for
college, I decided to fill in the blood sucking beast . Dirt is still
relatively cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:01*pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 10, 5:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I hear you. It's actually a friends pool at his house. I'm
just a technical advisor. But before he bought the house, I told him
the pool can be a big pain in the ass. It could be worse though. I
had a boat and that's even worse.

What he's putting in is quite interesting. It's a pool heater that
uses the heat from the attic to warm the pool. Essentially it's a big
heat exchanger with a fan that the pool water runs through. With a
30F deg temp difference between attic and pool water, it's rated at
60,000 BTUs. It uses the existing pool pump. I was skeptical at
first, but the company has been selling them for 20 years and I could
only find people online that had good things to say about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jun 10, 6:01 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 10, 5:46 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

That actually sounds like a great idea. I use to use roof mounted solar
panels. Six panels, maybe 2 foot x 10 foot. The pool filter pump sent the
water up and through them, then back into the pool. Damn things leaked like
sieves, and pretty much worked only on the sunniest days. Your friends
system sounds a bit more sophisticated, and well worth it if it gets
anywhere near 60K BTUs, especially considering the price of propane. Good
luck with it, Roy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:23*pm, SMS wrote:
On 10/06/10 3:28 PM, wrote:

snip

What he's putting in is quite interesting. *It's a pool heater that
uses the heat from the attic to warm the pool. *Essentially it's a big
heat exchanger with a fan that the pool water runs through. *With a
30F deg temp difference between attic and pool water, it's rated at
60,000 BTUs. *It uses the existing pool pump. * I was skeptical at
first, but the company has been selling them for 20 years and I could
only find people online that had good things to say about it.

What's the company and product?

I took out the gas pool heater when we redid the pool and patio (old
owner said it didn't work anyway). I wanted to fill in the pool, but
spousal unit likes it. In N. California we really can only use it from
late May to late October without a heater.

The good thing about the pool is that I have now become a chemist, an
electrician, a cementist, and a sweeper, in addition to an engineer.

Maybe I'll put in a GFI next time I change the pump. Someone gave me two
new Hayward pumps ten years ago, and I'm on the second one now.

This is the company:

http://www.solarattic.com

As I said, I don't have any personal experience with the product
yet. But they've been selling them for a long time and with much
searching I could only find people with positive comments about the
product. I can make a post in a month or so and let you know how it
works out.