Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI breaker on hardwired pool pump?

On Jun 10, 8:23*pm, SMS wrote:
On 10/06/10 3:28 PM, wrote:

snip

What he's putting in is quite interesting. *It's a pool heater that
uses the heat from the attic to warm the pool. *Essentially it's a big
heat exchanger with a fan that the pool water runs through. *With a
30F deg temp difference between attic and pool water, it's rated at
60,000 BTUs. *It uses the existing pool pump. * I was skeptical at
first, but the company has been selling them for 20 years and I could
only find people online that had good things to say about it.

What's the company and product?

I took out the gas pool heater when we redid the pool and patio (old
owner said it didn't work anyway). I wanted to fill in the pool, but
spousal unit likes it. In N. California we really can only use it from
late May to late October without a heater.

The good thing about the pool is that I have now become a chemist, an
electrician, a cementist, and a sweeper, in addition to an engineer.

Maybe I'll put in a GFI next time I change the pump. Someone gave me two
new Hayward pumps ten years ago, and I'm on the second one now.

This is the company:

http://www.solarattic.com

As I said, I don't have any personal experience with the product
yet. But they've been selling them for a long time and with much
searching I could only find people with positive comments about the
product. I can make a post in a month or so and let you know how it
works out.