Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter installation/attachment questions

I just had new soffits, fascia, and seamless gutters installed on a 3-story
house I own. I had this done after a new roof (with all new plywood
decking, etc.) was put on a few weeks ago.

My question is about how the gutters get attached to the house. Since it is
an old house, some parts of the fascia are aluminum wrapped contoured would
trim, and other parts are flat fascia. Where it could be done, the
contractor screwed the new gutters directly into the fascia with no overhead
hanging straps. But, for other areas, the contractor needed to use hanging
straps that get attached to the roof.

For the areas where hanging straps needed to be attached to the roof, how
should that be done?

I always thought that the hanging straps should be attached by lifting the
first row of shingles and then nailing or screwing the straps to the roof
underneath that first row. However, this contractor just placed the metal
hanging straps on top of the shingles and screwed them in through the
shingles into the roof decking.

A neighbor of mine who owns a number of properties that he has had rehabbed
said that's how they do it now. When I said I thought that could cause roof
leaks he said that they use clear caulk where the screws go in to prevent
leaks. In my case, the contractor didn't use any caulk - he just screwed
the straps through the shingles and into the roof decking.

So, how should these hanging straps be attached to the roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay-T wrote:
[...]

If your roofer used the self-sealing ice dam membrane on the lower 3
feet of the roof (required by code here in snow country, for new
construction, and maybe for full tear-offs), you should be okay. I
probably would have made other arrangements while the roof deck was
bare, just for looks, but roofers hate doing any special touches that
slow them down, being paid by the job and all.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

There is no way that I would accept gutter support straps screwed on top of
and through the shingles, caulk or no caulk. That is a lazy shortcut. The
bottom edge of the shingles should droop into the gutter to deposit the
water into the gutter, how does the shingle do that if the gutter support
strap is mounted over the shingle. Sounds like water damage coming in short
order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it -- meaning how the shingles will
direct the flow of water where the straps are screwed in. I'll look at that
more closely tomorrow.

It does look like a lazy shortcut to me, but I just don't know what the
standard way of doing it is supposed to be. I'll keep searching to see if I
can find that information somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:54*pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

can find that information somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

You got the fast easy method, too late now, but double-check there is
a waterproofing membrane all along the lower edge, and that there is
caulk around the screws, you might have to carefully remove one to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay-T wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Jay-T" wrote in message
[...]

I've never seen gutters installed that way. If it were my house, I'd demand the
damage to the roof be properly repaired, and the gutters properly installed.

Just another reason to D-I-Y.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:

You got the fast easy method, too late now, but double-check there is
a waterproofing membrane all along the lower edge, and that there is
caulk around the screws, you might have to carefully remove one to
see.

Thanks hr(bob) and others.

It looks like I did get the fast, easy, crappy, and wrong method of hanging
the gutters. There is definitely no caulk around the screws.

I did some
http://YouTube.com searching and found gutter installation videos
and they all show that when using the gutter roof hangers with straps the
straps get nailed on under the shingle -- not through the shingles.

One brand of the hangers is Amerimax Home Products 5" Mill Finish Roof
Hanger with Strap (21030). Here's a link to a photo that shows them being
mounted under the shingle:

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagereq...&ne wsize=600

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jay-T, Southern Storms Seamless Guttering wrote:
JT wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
I hadn't thought about that aspect of it -- meaning how the shingles will
direct the flow of water where the straps are screwed in. I'll look at

that
more closely tomorrow.
It does look like a lazy shortcut to me, but I just don't know what the
standard way of doing it is supposed to be. I'll keep searching to see if

can find that information somewhere.

The t strap is connected directly to the middle of the gutter in to the
gutter hangar. The strap would lay directly flat on top of the shingles.
Therefore, the shingles would directly drip into the middle of the gutter
catching every last drop. Can spray paint straps to color of roof after
caulked and should be fine for next 20 years if done properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2016 10:44 PM, Southern Storms Seamless Guttering wrote:
replying to Jay-T, Southern Storms Seamless Guttering wrote:
JT wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
I hadn't thought about that aspect of it -- meaning how the shingles
will direct the flow of water where the straps are screwed in. I'll
look at

that
more closely tomorrow.
It does look like a lazy shortcut to me, but I just don't know what
the standard way of doing it is supposed to be. I'll keep searching
to see if

can find that information somewhere.

The t strap is connected directly to the middle of the gutter in to the
gutter hangar. The strap would lay directly flat on top of the shingles.
Therefore, the shingles would directly drip into the middle of the gutter
catching every last drop. Can spray paint straps to color of roof after
caulked and should be fine for next 20 years if done properly.

I may be misunderstanding the product you are talking about but ...

Making holes in your shingles sounds like a really bad idea! Strap type
gutter hangers should be nailed into the roof sheathing *under* the
shingles (and under the rubber ice guard if so equipped).

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John, Jeremiah Roper wrote:
Actually roof warranty is void with most manufacturers if you lift the shingle
and screw underneath. Anything sticking up under a shingle like a screw head,
will work it's way through the shingle quickly causing a much bigger problem.
Screws or nails work out over time and it only takes one summer to poke up
through the roof. I've personally seen it. Now I install straps on top.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-445679-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 9:14:08 AM UTC-4, Jeremiah Roper wrote:
replying to John, Jeremiah Roper wrote:
Actually roof warranty is void with most manufacturers if you lift the shingle
and screw underneath.

The man said nails.

Anything sticking up under a shingle like a screw head,

The man said nails.

will work it's way through the shingle quickly causing a much bigger problem.
Screws or nails work out over time and it only takes one summer to poke up
through the roof.

The roof deck is full of nails holding the deck on. I guess any nails
holding hangers would be subject to different loads and might pull out
easier. And if screws or nails wind up pulling out, what does that say
about using them on top of the shingles too?

I've personally seen it. Now I install straps on top.

--

Not on my roof, you wouldn't. I wouldn't have brackets over or under
the shingles. If normal brackets that go into the fascia were used in