Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sticky Window

An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

An aluminum double window is hard to
open. What can i use to make it move
easy ?

I have used a heavy duty silicone spray on my windows.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

I just fixed up a bunch of storm windows on a friends house, they were
loose and basically flapping in the wind! Anyway, I used paraffin wax
for lubricant. I prefer it to grease, oil, and even silicone in some
places.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

Oil works, light grease too.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

Nobody else said it, so I will- step one is to field-strip and clean out
all the gunk and debris in the tracks, rollers,glide blocks, or
whatever. Is this up-and-down sashes (uncommon in aluminum around here),
or horizontal sliding? Also use Mk I eyeball and a straightedge to make
sure nothing is bent. Post a photo someplace, and we can probably give
better advice.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
desgnr wrote:
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

Oil works, light grease too.

beeswax

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
desgnr wrote:
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

Nobody else said it, so I will- step one is to field-strip and clean
out all the gunk and debris in the tracks, rollers,glide blocks, or
whatever. Is this up-and-down sashes (uncommon in aluminum around
here), or horizontal sliding? Also use Mk I eyeball and a
straightedge to make sure nothing is bent. Post a photo someplace,
and we can probably give better advice.

Amen! Aluminum corrodes (slightly) over time and the corrosion results in
"bumps" in the tracks. After cleaning, go over everything with steel wool
'til it's shiny!

Then lubricate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

Aluminum windows actually ride on plastic guides. These can wear out but
replacements are available at glass shops. Also dirt and crud can
accumulate to cause grief.

The first stem is to define why you are having a symptom, once you correct
the "why" the symptom should no longer be an issue.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:14:49 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

An aluminum double window is hard to open.

Double hung, casement windows or what?

What can i use to make it move easy ?

Check for any binding, fix it, clean well and then lube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2010 9:14 AM, desgnr wrote:
An aluminum double window is hard to open.
What can i use to make it move easy ?

For aluminum windows, I use saw wax. It's non-staining, doesn't
run and stays put. It's also handy for sliding drawers, wood or
metal. Of course, it's lubricates saw blades too. I think I've
seen it in the big box stores but any hardware store should have
it in stock.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/relton/stickkut.html

TDD

Sticky Tiles LouB[_3_] Home Repair 14 January 7th 10 03:53 PM
Sticky Window -- Alum-a-Lub W. Watson Home Repair 2 May 31st 07 04:27 PM
sticky table top [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 12th 05 04:49 PM
Help - Sticky Floor single mum UK diy 9 August 29th 05 11:54 PM
Sticky TRV Tom Robinson UK diy 2 December 18th 04 08:33 PM