Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sticky Tiles

Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Goo-Gone or other goop removers will clean the tiles. It's available in both
squeeze bottles and spray bottles. BUT: Although it sounds wrong to me, did
the handyman claim the stuff would somehow go away and lose its
stickiness???

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Goo-Gone or other goop removers will clean the tiles. It's available in both
squeeze bottles and spray bottles. BUT: Although it sounds wrong to me, did
the handyman claim the stuff would somehow go away and lose its
stickiness???

I do not know.

Thanks for the tip
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Goo-Gone or other goop removers will clean the tiles. It's available in
both squeeze bottles and spray bottles. BUT: Although it sounds wrong to
me, did the handyman claim the stuff would somehow go away and lose its
stickiness???

I do not know.

Thanks for the tip

If you think of it, ask your friend whether the handyman seems like the kind
of person whose entire car interior is slathered with Armor All, to the
point where it's next to impossible to get a grip on anything. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Shoot the handyman, for starters.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Shoot the handyman, for starters.

--
aem sends...

Just found out tiles are not ceramic. Do not know what they are.
Handyman is 76.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote:
LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Shoot the handyman, for starters.

--
aem sends...

Just found out tiles are not ceramic. Do not know what they are.
Handyman is 76.

Lou

Word association exercise:

Handyman

Instant word association should be:

No!

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in
family room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are
now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

Shoot the handyman, for starters.

--
aem sends...

Just found out tiles are not ceramic. Do not know what they are.
Handyman is 76.

Lou

Probably some of that unglazed Mexican stuff that looks like drain tile,
then, and he was trying to soak the surface with something that would
repel water. I'd ask at the store where the tile was purchased, as to
what the sealing routine is supposed to be. If they are clueless, I'd
start with non-clumping kitty litter to absorb the excess, and sweep it
in hard to see if it helps. Maybe do a test tile in a corner first.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

I did a google search on 'clay tile sealing "mineral oil" '. Very
interesting. Mineral oil is apparently commonly used on clay (unglazed)
tile and various types of stone. I got lots of hits, but didn't read in
depth. If the handyman uses mineral oil, then he probably has a good
idea of how to resolve the stickiness. I would guess that putting on a
heavy coat of it, letting it soak in, then wiping vigorously with a
heavy rag might just do the trick. On the google search, there were
references to cleaners to be used on it. Not such a hare-brained trick
after all. One suggestion to try kittie litter is a bit scary - it
might get embedded in the tile and turn it gray. I would not try that
without advice of an expert. I'd try rubbing clean sand onto it before
I'd try kittie litter. Let us know ) If it is Mexican tile (gray or
red without glaze) it is not as hard as most ceramic tile, so it needs
care not to chip or crack it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
LouB wrote:
[...]

The OP might also consider talking with his tile supplier, although I know
that sounds like a nutty idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
LouB wrote:
[...]

Or the even nuttier idea of getting BOTH the so called handyman and a rep
from the tile store in the same room to see what went wrong and have it
fixed...But that's just me....

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

wrote in message
LouB wrote:
[...]

That's insane, and you are a communist. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

wrote in message
LouB wrote:
[...]

What a hack thought :-)

Linoleum Tiles Over Real Tiles on Bathroom Floor averydarkplace Home Repair 11 December 22nd 07 02:17 AM
STICKY-TILES No Name Home Repair 10 August 11th 07 12:23 AM
Ceramica Global - worldwide wall tiles and floor tiles catalogues Ceramica Global Home Ownership 0 November 29th 06 12:35 PM
new tiles over existing tiles in outdoor water fountain [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 2nd 06 04:44 PM
Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles Steve UK diy 4 September 28th 03 08:41 PM