Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Sticky Tiles

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

wrote in message
LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in
family room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are
now sticky. What to do??

TIA

Lou

I did a google search on 'clay tile sealing "mineral oil" '. Very
interesting. Mineral oil is apparently commonly used on clay
(unglazed) tile and various types of stone. I got lots of hits, but
didn't read in depth. If the handyman uses mineral oil, then he
probably has a good idea of how to resolve the stickiness. I would
guess that putting on a heavy coat of it, letting it soak in, then
wiping vigorously with a heavy rag might just do the trick. On the
google search, there were references to cleaners to be used on it.
Not such a hare-brained trick after all. One suggestion to try
kittie litter is a bit scary - it might get embedded in the tile and
turn it gray. I would not try that without advice of an expert. I'd
try rubbing clean sand onto it before I'd try kittie litter. Let us
know ) If it is Mexican tile (gray or red without glaze) it is not
as hard as most ceramic tile, so it needs care not to chip or crack
it.

The OP might also consider talking with his tile supplier, although I
know that sounds like a nutty idea.

What a hack thought :-)