Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Sticky Tiles

LouB wrote:
Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family
room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky.
What to do??

TIA

Lou

I did a google search on 'clay tile sealing "mineral oil" '. Very
interesting. Mineral oil is apparently commonly used on clay (unglazed)
tile and various types of stone. I got lots of hits, but didn't read in
depth. If the handyman uses mineral oil, then he probably has a good
idea of how to resolve the stickiness. I would guess that putting on a
heavy coat of it, letting it soak in, then wiping vigorously with a
heavy rag might just do the trick. On the google search, there were
references to cleaners to be used on it. Not such a hare-brained trick
after all. One suggestion to try kittie litter is a bit scary - it
might get embedded in the tile and turn it gray. I would not try that
without advice of an expert. I'd try rubbing clean sand onto it before
I'd try kittie litter. Let us know ) If it is Mexican tile (gray or
red without glaze) it is not as hard as most ceramic tile, so it needs
care not to chip or crack it.