Posted to alt.home.repair

Default About how thick will a scratch coat of thinset over bricks end up being

I'm going to tile over 3 sided brick fireplace all the way to the ceiling.
To do this I have to build a frame and mount backer board from about four
feet up. I plan on mounting some expanded metal over the brick and then
cover with a layer of thinset. About how much thickness can I expect this
metal+thinset to add to the brick. Approximately. I'll need to know this
so I can build the frame and have the backer board end up flush to
thinsetted over brick.

pic of what I've got now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3355976...n/photostream/

Thanks,
Craig

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5156 (20100530) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 8:17*pm, "CraigT" wrote:
I'm going to tile over 3 sided brick fireplace all the way to the ceiling..
To do this I have to build a frame and mount backer board from about four
feet up. *I plan on mounting some expanded metal over the brick and then
cover with a layer of thinset. * About how much thickness can I expect this
metal+thinset to add to the brick. *Approximately. *I'll need to know this
so I can build the frame and have the backer board end up flush to
thinsetted over brick.

pic of what I've got now.http://www.flickr.com/photos/3355976...n/photostream/

Thanks,
Craig

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5156 (20100530) __________

http://www.eset.com

Why scratch coat it at all, just Tapcon the Durock to the brick,
scratch coat seems like a wasted step and a headache.

Very thick leather? (1/4 in thick) Ignoramus705 Metalworking 11 October 25th 07 04:36 AM
Should I put PVA on the first scratch coat of plaster before second layer swinster UK diy 1 July 21st 07 06:06 PM
A thick clear coat D-Rick_Bush Woodworking 6 July 21st 06 03:36 AM
6" thick bricks Davao UK diy 8 May 22nd 06 11:13 PM
How to mix thinset? Darryl Home Repair 5 May 13th 05 01:18 AM