Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Should I put PVA on the first scratch coat of plaster before second layer

Hi all,

I did not have time to put a second coat of plaster undercoat (Thistle
browning) on the first whilst this was going off and have had to leave
the plaster overnight. Some sections are still quite damp and others
are drying out (there were different backgrounds I plastered over) but
I now need to put on a second coat.

As I have left the first coat to dry a little, should I put a coat of
PVA (4:1?) over the surface before I put the second scratch coat on,
or will it be sufficient to damp the surface of the plaster down with
water?

Many thanks

Swin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"swinster" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I did not have time to put a second coat of plaster undercoat (Thistle
browning) on the first whilst this was going off and have had to leave
the plaster overnight. Some sections are still quite damp and others
are drying out (there were different backgrounds I plastered over) but
I now need to put on a second coat.

As I have left the first coat to dry a little, should I put a coat of
PVA (4:1?) over the surface before I put the second scratch coat on,
or will it be sufficient to damp the surface of the plaster down with
water?

Many thanks

Swin

Just PVA it immediatly before plastering as it helps reduce suction of
applying the final coat.

Skim coat plaster joeblow Home Repair 6 September 15th 06 01:24 AM
Why has new plaster skim coat not stuck? rrh UK diy 2 April 25th 05 07:30 PM
New plaster - diluted 1st coat of paint. Paul UK diy 6 March 17th 05 12:29 PM
Flaky emulsion layer on plaster [email protected] UK diy 7 January 25th 05 02:22 PM
drywall v. skim coat plaster New Arty Boy Home Repair 6 June 30th 04 01:38 PM