Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

Default 6" thick bricks

For the shed in my back yard I'm inclined toward a 6" thick wall.
I'd rather not use blocks because I want it to be more attractive than that.

Does anyone know where I can get 6" thick bricks?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Davao wrote:
For the shed in my back yard I'm inclined toward a 6" thick wall.
I'd rather not use blocks because I want it to be more attractive than that.

Does anyone know where I can get 6" thick bricks?

You'd have to get them specially made, or go on edge. Why does it have
to be 6"? Why not 8"? You can render blockwork, which then looks very
slightly better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Davao wrote:
For the shed in my back yard I'm inclined toward a 6" thick wall.
I'd rather not use blocks because I want it to be more attractive than
that.

Does anyone know where I can get 6" thick bricks?

You'd have to get them specially made, or go on edge. Why does it have
to be 6"? Why not 8"? You can render blockwork, which then looks very
slightly better.

The shed floor area will be no more than 2m x 1.8m. It is too small to make
it a 2 brick wall
so I lean toward 6" (horizontal width) to make the walls more stable because
the shed door will be
adjacent to the corner.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Davao wrote:
For the shed in my back yard I'm inclined toward a 6" thick wall.
I'd rather not use blocks because I want it to be more attractive than
that.

Does anyone know where I can get 6" thick bricks?

You'd have to get them specially made, or go on edge. Why does it have
to be 6"? Why not 8"? You can render blockwork, which then looks very
slightly better.

The shed floor area will be no more than 2m x 1.8m. It is too small to
make
it a 2 brick wall
so I lean toward 6" (horizontal width) to make the walls more stable
because
the shed door will be
adjacent to the corner.

Arthur

use 4" or 9"

NT

Use 4" and build in brick-and-a-half piers?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Davao wrote:

For the shed in my back yard I'm inclined toward a 6" thick wall.
I'd rather not use blocks because I want it to be more attractive than
that.

Does anyone know where I can get 6" thick bricks?

The shed floor area will be no more than 2m x 1.8m. It is too small to
make
it a 2 brick wall
so I lean toward 6" (horizontal width) to make the walls more stable
because
the shed door will be
adjacent to the corner.

use 4" or 9"

Use 4" and build in brick-and-a-half piers?

hear hear, sounds ideal.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg

A single 4 1/2" wall with a pier to the door jambs will be adequate -
but even the piers may not be required unless you have kids who will
throw the doors open to get their bikes out.

Bigger things than a shed have been built in 4 1/2 " walls.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dg wrote:

A single 4 1/2" wall with a pier to the door jambs will be adequate -
but even the piers may not be required unless you have kids who will
throw the doors open to get their bikes out.

Bigger things than a shed have been built in 4 1/2 " walls.

dg

lots of 2 storey houses are 4" wall, without piers as well. Not good
practice, but still standing.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davao

"Davao" wrote in message
news
For the shed in my back yard I'm inclined toward a 6" thick wall.
I'd rather not use blocks because I want it to be more attractive than
that.

Does anyone know where I can get 6" thick bricks?

Arthur

Thanks, all.

Removing bricks from side of house Ben Blaukopf UK diy 15 April 5th 06 02:20 PM
tying in - 73mm bricks abutting 65mm brick design [email protected] UK diy 13 April 5th 06 04:20 AM
No Lintel - Row of vertical bricks above window frame Michael Chare UK diy 15 October 20th 05 08:45 PM
Selling House Bricks? jawa UK diy 6 September 3rd 05 11:41 AM
Angled bricks/ 'Squints' Benda Menda UK diy 6 August 22nd 03 01:50 PM