Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Overhead door falls back down after opening

On May 25, 1:29*pm, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2010 09:10:48 -0700, trader4 wrote:
On May 25, 11:45*am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Tue, 25 May 2010 15:26:28 +0000, MichaelCaditz wrote:
Overhead Legacy:

When the door opens it sometimes falls back down part way. It hits
"top" then bounces back down rather than stopping in fully open
position.

I have had it serviced twice (spring tension and limits adjusted) by
local Overhead dealer but problem persists.

Any ideas?

Find someone local who knows how to diagnose door problems. It's not
something that can be handled here especially when a malfunction can
lead to injury or worse.

First, does this door have an automatic opener? * The limit adjustment
part suggests that it may. *Second, is it the linear extension spring
type or wound springs?

I've replaced 3 sectional doors in my lifetime. Everything down to the
tracks. One was a double wide with wound springs the other two linear.
So i know enough to troubleshoot the workings. I've installed 2 chain
overhead openers. All have been working well for several years and i go
over them once a year to make sure bolts are tight, lube etc...

But I wouldn't attempt to guide someone with a problem of this nature via
a news group. It's just too difficult and potentially dangerous to
diagnose without seeing, hearing, feeling. And it's a "sometimes it
happens" deal too. Even more difficult to give help to intermittent
problems without being there and observing the operation and listening to
the sounds it makes. My point isn't to discourage help offers. It's to
be realistic in what can be expected in the way of help with all the
unknown factors.- Hide quoted text -

So says you. But people have offered advice many, many times on
overhead doors here. And many people have used that advice and
reported the door being fixed. The same objections could be raised
on many home or auto repairs. You can just as easily kill yourself
putting up a Dish antenna on the roof. Or you could kill yourself
doing the brakes on your car, when the car falls on you, if you don't
know what you're doing. Or you could cut off a hand with a circular
saw while cutting plywood or get electrocuted working on a breaker.
Yet, somehow millions of people do those tasks, remarkably few have
bad results, and I see people giving advice here all the time.

And we didn't even get enough info to know whether there is something
simple and safe they could try or if it involves something more
complex that requires more skill.