Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Overhead Door Recomendations

Hi!

I have to replace my garage door, probably this weekend. The one I
have now is almost in two pieces... :-(

I was wondering if anybody can suggest a decent brand to go with so I
can tackle this myself. Ideally, I'd like something that is easy to
install and takes the least amount of time. I had my eyes on the
doors and Menards where you use your drill to wind the springs along
with the iDrive. But then, I have heard bad things about them so I
don't know which one to choose.

Thanks in advanced for any information!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

My parents have an Wayne Dalton Idrive with a double wayne dalton door.
About 4.5 years old now. No problems t all. I probably would only buy the
WD IDrive with a WD door even though they make a model for other doors.

If you have a wd store near you, check their prices. They may be low enuf
to let them install it. In Raleigh, NC the store has good service.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi!

I have to replace my garage door, probably this weekend. The one I
have now is almost in two pieces... :-(

I was wondering if anybody can suggest a decent brand to go with so I
can tackle this myself. Ideally, I'd like something that is easy to
install and takes the least amount of time. I had my eyes on the
doors and Menards where you use your drill to wind the springs along
with the iDrive. But then, I have heard bad things about them so I
don't know which one to choose.

Thanks in advanced for any information!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 8:10 pm, " wrote:
Hi!

I have to replace my garage door, probably this weekend. The one I
have now is almost in two pieces... :-(

I was wondering if anybody can suggest a decent brand to go with so I
can tackle this myself. Ideally, I'd like something that is easy to
install and takes the least amount of time. I had my eyes on the
doors and Menards where you use your drill to wind the springs along
with the iDrive. But then, I have heard bad things about them so I
don't know which one to choose.

Thanks in advanced for any information!!!

I have a guy that installs and services garage doors for me, and he
isn't too fond of the iDrive system. I believe he was concerned about
everything staying in alignment.

Check this out:

http://www.garageopener.info/reviews...e-door-opener/

Google is your friend...

I have installed the Menard's doors with the drill wound springs, and
they seem ok, but they seem lower quality than what you get from a
real garage door store. If you have never wound a torsion spring
before, they can be really scary.

I am confused by your statement that your current door is "almost in
two pieces". Do you have a door that tilts up? Most standard garage
doors come in 4 or 5 sections.

Good luck.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am confused by your statement that your current door is "almost in
two pieces". Do you have a door that tilts up? Most standard garage
doors come in 4 or 5 sections.

Sorry, I probably should have explained what happened. The door is
probably about 16x7. The top/upper two panels...well, the first
panel, something happened and the garage door panel got jambed and it
bent it all up. Because of that, a crack started to develop and it
was pretty fragile. I rigged it and it's been working alright for the
past year. But now, last night, the first and second panel got jambed
on something and now the second panel is all bent up. It's kind of
like the door got stuck on something and the opener kept going and
crinkled the two panels.

It still works...but I'm not sure how much longer it will be alright
for. Just out of curiosity, approximately how much do you think it
would be for a door, opener, and have it professional installed? How
much money would I be saving if I did it myself? I really don't need
anything fancy since the garage is detached from the house...so I
really don't need insulation. But I was thinking of going with the
"middle quality" door.

Thanks in advanced!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 31, 8:53 am, " wrote:

snip

Just out of curiosity, approximately how much do you think it
would be for a door, opener, and have it professional installed?

snip

You'll have to get that answer on your own. Hit the Yellow Pages, call
the people and get quotes. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I would first check a Wayne Dalton store if there is one near you. They
were much cheaper than Lowes and the door and IDrive was then factory
installed instead of Lowes sending someone who didn't know what they were
doing. It was almost 5 years ago and the price was very reasonable for an
insulated door plus IDrive but I don't remember numbers and they are
irrelevant now.

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, I think I figured out why the door buckled. Turns out that you
need a re-inforcement bracket that mounts to the top of the door that
my garage door did not have. Oh well... I did go out and pick up a
new door and opener, so we shall see how the installation goes
tomorrow. It's an "Ideal Door" and Chamberlain opener. Hopefully it
will go smoothly, but we shall see...

Thanks for all the help,
Mike