Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

"h" wrote in message
We're going to be putting a second story over our existing living, which
will become our master bedroom. The new space will be a perfect rectangle,
23'x18'. This space is for the bedroom and closet. We're going to put in a
walk-in closet, but are debating how big it needs to be. In our current
bedroom we have a walk-in that's 8'x10', and it's much more space than we
need. We keep suitcases and sports gear in there and it's nowhere near
full.We are both VERY low-maintenance, and DH actually has more hanging
clothing than I do.

I'm planning a closet with a center door, two hanging racks (one down each
side), with some shelving above the racks and floor-to-ceiling
shelves/storage on the far wall across from the door between the racks.

The architect is telling me that a walk-in "should" be "at least" 10'x12'
or we "won't be able to sell the house". Since we plan to be carried out
of here feet first, we couldn't care less about resale. Plus, I refuse to
design new construction solely for "perceived" resale value when I plan to
live here for at least 35 more years.

I don't care what the architect says, I neither want nor need a closet
that big especially since we will still have the current master closet for
storage when that room becomes the guest room, plus the tiny closets in
the other two bedrooms (office and exercise room).

So...those of you with walk-in closets - how big are they and do you wish
your closet was bigger or smaller?

I see a lot of closets in my installation business. Newer homes have larger
closets. Closets are also sized along with the selling price of the home,
bigger = bigger. The latest trend I am seeing on the upper end homes is
that most people store all their clothing in the closet. Many of the high
end ones have built in drawers and sweater shelves and so on. One could
spend almost as much in a master closet as they do on kitchen cabinets. -

A 300K plus home should have at least a 10x12 for the MBR. Most newer
200K homes have that as a minimum for the MBR.

Our MB is to the rear of our BR and one walks a short hall to enter it.
There is a walk-in closet to the left and right of that hall. Both were
built as 6x8 with a bypass door on the center of the 8' span. There is a
chase for the chimney out of one taking a 2x2 cut in the corner. I use that
one and the wife overflows the larger one. I, personally store nothing in
drawers except out of season items. I even hang my tee-shirts. Socks and
jockys are in a wire basket. Everything I use on a daily basis is in the
closet. I don't do it that way to emulate the bigger homes, I do it that
way because I like it that way. For my lifestyle I have more than enough
room, but keep in mind that clothes aren't my thing.

Men with lots of suits, suit jackets and shoes or boots would most likely
fill it. I see closets larger than both ours that are overflowing with
clothes. Depends on the lifestyle of the homeowner.

I realize you don't give a hoot about resale right now but only a fool would
completely disregard it. Think about the neighborhood, what type of buyer
would buy your remodeled home? Consider the price range. Make an informed
choice and do what you want. It is your home.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

A 300K plus home should have at least a 10x12 for the MBR. Most newer
200K homes have that as a minimum for the MBR.

Home prices are absolutely meaningless as a reference for closet size,
unless you name a specific neighborhood in a specific city, which then
makes them pretty much meaningless anyway on a worldwide discussion
forum. (You can't buy a 600 sq. ft. 2 bed, 1 bath cottage for less than
$850K around here, with the possible exception of a shack in the slums,
then you're down around 700K.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message

I realize you don't give a hoot about resale right now but only a fool
would completely disregard it. Think about the neighborhood, what type of
buyer would buy your remodeled home? Consider the price range. Make an
informed choice and do what you want. It is your home.

I live out in the boonies and can only see most of my neighbors in the
winter when there are no leaves. We have tiny 600 sq ft farmhouses and 5000
sq ft McMansions in the mile-and-a-half between my house and the nearest
cross street. There are also several other in-home businesses on this road,
so it seems to be more about how you intend to use the house rather than its
selling price. The McMansions seem to be 4br, 5.5baths, with gobs of wasted
"living space", vaulted ceilings, etc. My final living space will be about
3800 sq ft, with 4br, 3.5baths, separate office and huge workspace. My
architect says it's really 6br, because the office and the workspace count
as bedrooms. Umm, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
My final living space will be about 3800 sq ft, with
4br, 3.5baths, separate office and huge workspace. My architect says
it's really 6br, because the office and the workspace count as
bedrooms. Umm, no.

in our area, if it has a closet, it's a bedroom. you should check with your
tax code to see what it is in your area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 12:30*pm, "chaniarts"
wrote:
h wrote:
My final living space will be about 3800 sq ft, with
4br, 3.5baths, separate office and huge workspace. My architect says
it's really 6br, because the office and the workspace count as
bedrooms. Umm, no.

in our area, if it has a closet, it's a bedroom. you should check with your
tax code to see what it is in your area.

That's generally the distinction, but in my last house it was the
other way around. The tax roles defined the number of bedrooms. We
had to pay $6K to list our house as three bedroom. The builder
apparently had it listed as a two bedroom, though it clearly had three.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
h wrote:
My final living space will be about 3800 sq ft, with
4br, 3.5baths, separate office and huge workspace. My architect says
it's really 6br, because the office and the workspace count as
bedrooms. Umm, no.

in our area, if it has a closet, it's a bedroom. you should check with
your tax code to see what it is in your area.

Exactly. Since neither the workspace nor the office will have a closet,
neither is a bedroom. The architect doesn't get it.