Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preferred size for a walk-in closet?

On 5/18/2010 8:49 PM, h wrote:
wrote in message
We're going to be putting a second story over our existing living room,
which will become our master bedroom. The new space will be a perfect
rectangle, 23'x18'. This space is for the bedroom and closet. We're going
to put in a walk-in closet, but are debating how big it needs to be. In
our current bedroom we have a walk-in that's 8'x10', and it's much more
space than we need. We keep suitcases and sports gear in there and it's
nowhere near full.We are both VERY low-maintenance, and DH actually has
more hanging clothing than I do.

I'm planning a closet with a center door, two hanging racks (one down each
side), with some shelving above the racks and floor-to-ceiling
shelves/storage on the far wall across from the door between the racks.

The architect is telling me that a walk-in "should" be "at least" 10'x12'
or we "won't be able to sell the house". Since we plan to be carried out
of here feet first, we couldn't care less about resale. Plus, I refuse to
design new construction solely for "perceived" resale value when I plan to
live here for at least 35 more years.

I don't care what the architect says, I neither want nor need a closet
that big especially since we will still have the current master closet for
storage when that room becomes the guest room, plus the tiny closets in
the other two bedrooms (office and exercise room).

So...those of you with walk-in closets - how big are they and do you wish
your closet was bigger or smaller?

Just built a new house to my floorplan.
There are only 2 bedrooms. The master
has a 6 x 8 walk in with the door in the
middle of the 8' side. We were going to
have a 6' cloths rods on each of those
walls, however, because of a duct chase
we changed to having a 6' and an 8' on
those 2 walls. The other bedroom has a
5 x 9 walk in with the door on the 5'
wall to the left. The cloths rods go
only down the 9' wall on the right side.
Check out the floorplan at
http://picasaweb.google.com/actodesco
/FranklinHouse#5253349929054235314
which is shown with a 2' x 2' grid
overlayed. We are 2 60+ retired
people. There is plenty of room for us,
however, we do have lots of basement
space.

Toro 22" Walk-Behind Lawnmower: Bolt Size & Type Question For Blade Robert11 Home Repair 12 January 26th 17 10:48 PM
Swich Location walk-in Closet sid Home Repair 20 April 7th 09 05:08 PM
Closet Size Jim[_27_] Home Repair 9 February 3rd 09 01:51 AM
Preferred hollowing tool(s) Woody[_6_] Woodturning 14 January 13th 09 12:06 AM
Closet Organization - Use Your Space Wisely. Closet Organization Video trav Home Repair 0 October 13th 07 04:52 PM