Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Closet Size

I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle the
width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc
stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep would most of you make
it.

thanks a million if I had it

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle
the width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes,
boxes of misc stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep
would most of you make it.

thanks a million if I had it

I think the standard interior depth is two feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle the
width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc
stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep would most of you make
it.

2 feet minimum. I would increase the depth as needed to match my storage
requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote

I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle the
width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc
stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep would most of you make
it.

Go 3 feet (deeper than normal) since space isnt a concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 01:24:05 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Jim" wrote

I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle the
width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc
stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep would most of you make
it.

Go 3 feet (deeper than normal) since space isnt a concern.

I would go with a standard 24" *inside* dimension or maybe stretch
that to 27, 'just in case.' I've had a 3' deep closet. it sucks
because too much stuff gets lost behind the front row.

Most of your closet organizers are based on a 24" closet. Spend
some time in your local borgs looking at the 'organize your home'
aisle.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle the
width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc
stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep would most of you make
it.

thanks a million if I had it

Jim
I am sorry I meant a walk in type

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs
paralle the width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex
clothes, boxes of misc stuff, over flow item. My Question about how
deep would most of you make it.

thanks a million if I had it

Jim
I am sorry I meant a walk in type

Oh. five-and-a-half feet. Two feet either side, 18" for the walkway.

The Americans With Disabilities act may mandate a 36" walkway... Of course
there is lighting to consider. And fire walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh. five-and-a-half feet. Two feet either side, 18" for the walkway.

The Americans With Disabilities act may mandate a 36" walkway... Of course
there is lighting to consider. And fire walls.

I use a walkin closet as a dressing room as well. Often two people at once.
I prefer a 3 foot walkway in closets. 5 foot depth for hanging on one side.
80 inches deep for hanging on both sides. 4 foot walkway in storage rooms.
For storage 8 feet works well with cupboards on both sides. 6 feet for one
side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 10:49:55 -0800, "Pat" wrote:

Oh. five-and-a-half feet. Two feet either side, 18" for the walkway.

The Americans With Disabilities act may mandate a 36" walkway... Of course
there is lighting to consider. And fire walls.

I use a walkin closet as a dressing room as well. Often two people at once.
I prefer a 3 foot walkway in closets. 5 foot depth for hanging on one side.
80 inches deep for hanging on both sides. 4 foot walkway in storage rooms.
For storage 8 feet works well with cupboards on both sides. 6 feet for one
side.

Walk-in closets are standard in high-end houses. Nice selling point
to have one in a typical home. Can't say there is a closet "too
deep."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:43�pm, "Jim" wrote:
I was thinking about building a closet �in basement that runs paralle the
width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc
stuff, over flow item. �My Question about how deep would most of you make
it.

thanks a million if I had it

Jim

will it obstruct any windows? basements do need a little natural light
and egress ingress in case of fire..........