Posted to alt.home.repair
juf juf is offline

Default looking for suggestion on whole house water filter

can anyone recommend a source and any observations on what kind of whole house filter
systems work and have parts available?

easy maintenance is also a concern.

primary reason for this is high iron content in local municipal water supply which
causes discoloration (sinks, shower, toilet, etc.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2010 8:34 AM, juf wrote:
can anyone recommend a source and any observations on what kind of whole
house filter systems work and have parts available?

easy maintenance is also a concern.

primary reason for this is high iron content in local municipal water
supply which causes discoloration (sinks, shower, toilet, etc.)

I've got an Aqua-Pure whole house sediment filter. Very easy to change
cartridges and with only two of us, they last 6 months. Plumber
installed it with ballcock bypasses. It replaced a leaky unit I put in
myself. Can't remember brand but bypass was built in and source of leak.

I'm on a well and sediment leading to iron deposits comes from well.
Still get some discoloration but it is much less. Wife uses stuff to
take out stains when needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
juf juf is offline

Frank wrote:
I've got an Aqua-Pure whole house sediment filter. Very easy to change
cartridges and with only two of us, they last 6 months.

did you purchase directly from plumber? any options to consider and would you buy
precisely same unit today or has the unit evolved? (manufacturing changes or supplier
or parts changes)

do they come in multiple configurations or one-size-solves-all-problems?

precise model name?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
juf juf is offline

Frank,

you have the ap903 ?

http://www.aquapure.com/store/whole_house_system/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"juf" wrote in message

can anyone recommend a source and any observations on what kind of whole

house filter
systems work and have parts available?

easy maintenance is also a concern.

primary reason for this is high iron content in local municipal water

supply which
causes discoloration (sinks, shower, toilet, etc.)

Most vendors of water filters offer free testing on site by
the salesman. They are not cheap but the more widely
advertised brands suggest they offer some sort of
performance guarantee. Testing beforehand is
prerequisite because no theory forecasts how a particular
filter will work in your house.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2010 9:49 AM, juf wrote:
Frank,

you have the ap903 ?

http://www.aquapure.com/store/whole_house_system/

Mine's an AP 11T which I see is not listed. Their AP 101T might be a
replacement. It appears to have shut off valve in head.

One I bought from plumber does not have a built in shut off valve but he
put in ballcocks before and after the filter plus a bypass ballcock so
you can take off line and bypass to change filter.

El cheapo unit I had before, not Aqua-Pure, had bypass valve in head but
it leaked. I had a new unit that I had bought because I dropped and
broke filter container. I had plumber install it but it also leaked so
he installed/sold me the Aqua-Pure.

You can install these units yourself as I did when younger but now with
bifocals, arthritis etc., I hire plumbers.