Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default looking for suggestion on whole house water filter

On 5/19/2010 8:34 AM, juf wrote:
can anyone recommend a source and any observations on what kind of whole
house filter systems work and have parts available?

easy maintenance is also a concern.

primary reason for this is high iron content in local municipal water
supply which causes discoloration (sinks, shower, toilet, etc.)

I've got an Aqua-Pure whole house sediment filter. Very easy to change
cartridges and with only two of us, they last 6 months. Plumber
installed it with ballcock bypasses. It replaced a leaky unit I put in
myself. Can't remember brand but bypass was built in and source of leak.

I'm on a well and sediment leading to iron deposits comes from well.
Still get some discoloration but it is much less. Wife uses stuff to
take out stains when needed.