Posted to alt.home.repair

Default latex spray unit

looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Yes... One driven by an actual air compressor... Which is an
actual paint sprayer... Not one of those hand-held paint pumpers

If you don't want to buy one of your own they are available to be
rented while you need them for a project...

How thick is the latex paint ?

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
On May 11, 4:35 pm, Paul Oman wrote:
looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

--

Yes... One driven by an actual air compressor... Which is an
actual paint sprayer... Not one of those hand-held paint pumpers
with a power cord and paint reservoir...

If you don't want to buy one of your own they are available to be
rented while you need them for a project...

How thick is the latex paint ?

~~ Evan

The Magnum (made by Graco) airless sprayers at Home Depot work pretty well.
No need to thin it if you get at least 3/4 HP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:36:31 -0700, "M.Paul"
wrote:

"Evan" wrote in message
On May 11, 4:35 pm, Paul Oman wrote:
looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

--

Yes... One driven by an actual air compressor... Which is an
actual paint sprayer... Not one of those hand-held paint pumpers
with a power cord and paint reservoir...

If you don't want to buy one of your own they are available to be
rented while you need them for a project...

How thick is the latex paint ?

~~ Evan

The Magnum (made by Graco) airless sprayers at Home Depot work pretty well.
No need to thin it if you get at least 3/4 HP.

The airless Craco would be my choice. I've sprayed exterior acrylic
latex (elastomeric paint) ... Have thin it and strain it. Thick
stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"M.Paul" wrote in message

"Evan" wrote in message
On May 11, 4:35 pm, Paul Oman wrote:
looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

--

Yes... One driven by an actual air compressor... Which is an
actual paint sprayer... Not one of those hand-held paint pumpers
with a power cord and paint reservoir...

If you don't want to buy one of your own they are available to be
rented while you need them for a project...

How thick is the latex paint ?

~~ Evan

The Magnum (made by Graco) airless sprayers at Home Depot work pretty
well. No need to thin it if you get at least 3/4 HP.

DITTO...Go rent one....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Oman wrote in
m:

looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

you might want to mention what units you tried in the past.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2010 3:35 PM, Paul Oman wrote:
looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

I've had real good luck with our magnum (grayco) xl900. Does great with
thick assed kilz brand paint.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 3:35*pm, Paul Oman wrote:
looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

--

With wind and overspray, taping off, and cleanup often by the end of a
small job spraying is not worth it, any wind can ruin a close by
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:49:01 -0500, DanG wrote:

The only thing that does a good job with latex is airless. There
are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing latex paint
without extensive thinning.

The most capable airless sprayers are driven by compressed air. They can
spray very thick coatings such as concrete block filler without thinning.
You can connect several spray guns to them and use them at the same time.
Electric motor powered sprayers cannot do this.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/34...ump_Outfit?s=1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2010 9:06 AM, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:49:01 -0500, DanG wrote:

The only thing that does a good job with latex is airless. There
are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing latex paint
without extensive thinning.

The most capable airless sprayers are driven by compressed air. They can
spray very thick coatings such as concrete block filler without thinning.
You can connect several spray guns to them and use them at the same time.
Electric motor powered sprayers cannot do this.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/34...ump_Outfit?s=1

THIRTY THREE HUNDRED ****ING DOLLARS!!!!!!

You've got to be kidding. The electric grayco's do just as well at less
than a fourth of that price.. LMAO!! thirty three hundred dollar.....

Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 May 2010 09:52:27 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

On 5/12/2010 9:06 AM, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:49:01 -0500, DanG wrote:

The only thing that does a good job with latex is airless. There
are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing latex paint
without extensive thinning.

The most capable airless sprayers are driven by compressed air. They can
spray very thick coatings such as concrete block filler without thinning.
You can connect several spray guns to them and use them at the same time.
Electric motor powered sprayers cannot do this.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/34...ump_Outfit?s=1

THIRTY THREE HUNDRED ****ING DOLLARS!!!!!!

You've got to be kidding. The electric grayco's do just as well at less
than a fourth of that price.. LMAO!! thirty three hundred dollar.....

You need to learn more about airless sprayers and painting.

The electric Graycos might be ok for a simple house painter working out of
5 gallon buckets, but an industrial painting contractor that paints huge
factory buildings, and other such things, needs much more. They get their
paint in 55 gallon drums straight from the manufacturer. They unscrew the
bung and insert the feed tube and start spraying.

The $3300 air powered airless sprayer can spray thousands and thousands of
gallons of paint without protest or problems. $3300 may seem like a lot of
money to you, but for an industrial painting contractor, they are the
cheapest way to go.

Air powered tools of all kinds are used when high power and/or long-term
reliability is needed. That's why air powered wrenches, drills and so on
are used on factory assembly lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 9:06*am, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:49:01 -0500, DanG wrote:
The only thing that does a good job with latex is airless. *There
are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing latex paint
without extensive thinning.

The most capable airless sprayers are driven by compressed air. They can
spray very thick coatings such as concrete block filler without thinning.
You can connect several spray guns to them and use them at the same time.
Electric motor powered sprayers cannot do this.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/34...72_Air_Powered...

Thats real helpfull, like a shotgun to kill a fly, yea that sure is
the Homeowner Unit he requested, and nice and quiet with a compressor.
But its not something you will even see in any big office rehab due to
the compressors noise, My Titan has put out near 400 gallons without a
break down, its real small and what is used by alot of pros I know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 May 2010 15:14:21 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

[...]

If you look again, you will notice that I was replying to DanG's incorrect
statement that "There are no compressor driven systems that do well pushing
latex paint without extensive thinning," not the OP. Nothing wrong with
setting the record straight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 May 2010 03:55:39 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 11, 3:35*pm, Paul Oman wrote:
looking for brands/models for DIY homeowner spray unit for thick latex
paint.

All past units I have ever tried would not spray thick paints without
lots of thinning and were monsters to clean after the job.

anything new out there?

--

With wind and overspray, taping off, and cleanup often by the end of a
small job spraying is not worth it, any wind can ruin a close by
neighbors windows or car, one day without a real breeze while staining
oil on a house my car was covered with stain and it was 50 ft away. As
a pro I had and have a Titan, but rarely used it.

Read that Titans and Grecos have a lot of repair problems per the
repair shops according to pros. Airlessco seem to be better in terms
of reliability. I think tho they cost a bit more.

Semi OT - Latex Spray Paint J T Woodworking 2 October 28th 06 10:30 PM
Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 23rd 06 11:57 AM
Spray Painting - Latex willr Woodworking 4 September 25th 05 04:32 PM
Latex or oil? ? ? Ray Home Repair 15 July 19th 05 12:18 PM
Enamel over latex, latex over enamel and refinishing wood window trim. Dave Woodworking 2 February 24th 05 04:48 PM