Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washer & Dryer recomendation's

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2010 9:30 AM, desgnr wrote:

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are
horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.

Aside from the 2 hours it took to buy a set from HD (almost like buying
a car), we are happy with LG.

Consumer reports gives the highest marks to Sears' home brand, I'd
recommenced that direction.

As for setup and install, again, using HD subs makes me wish I had used
Sears subs instead.

And if you are going to buy front load, make sure you are prepared ahead
of time to combat known issues. Not bad, just be forewarned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 6:30*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Get a Speed Queen or go to your local Laundromat and take down the
model and number of one of theirs, which will probably be a Speed
Queen. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are
horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

FWIW: Whirlpool consistently gets good reviews in Consumer Reposts. We
bought a Duet (washer only) about 6 years ago and it's still going strong.
If you're looking at lower priced w&d Ropers are Whirlpool's low priced
brand and I'd consider them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:05*am, ng_reader wrote:
On 5/3/2010 9:30 AM, desgnr wrote:

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are
horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.

Aside from the 2 hours it took to buy a set from HD (almost like buying
a car), we are happy with LG.

Consumer reports gives the highest marks to Sears' home brand, I'd
recommenced that direction.

As for setup and install, again, using HD subs makes me wish I had used
Sears subs instead.

And if you are going to buy front load, make sure you are prepared ahead
of time to combat known issues. Not bad, just be forewarned.

"to combat known issues. Not bad, just be forewarned"

Since "combat" usually refers to fighting, it seems strange (at least
to me) that you would use "Not bad" in the very next statement.

What are these "known issues" that you refer to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:17*am, "JimT" wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are
horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

FWIW: Whirlpool consistently gets good reviews in Consumer Reposts. We
bought a Duet (washer only) about 6 years ago and it's still going strong..
If you're looking at lower priced w&d Ropers are Whirlpool's low priced
brand and I'd consider them.

We bought a Whirlpool Cabrio set a couple of years ago and are quite
happy with them. We didn't go with a front-loader because the repair
ratings (on ALL of them) were so poor. The thought was that the
Cabrio gives the advantages of a front loader, keeping the
configuration of a top-loader. So far it's worked out well. The
washer sounds a little funny, though. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 8:30*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

If you really want it to last and have money buy a commercial unit,
out last set lasted 35+ years
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 9:30*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Consider a washer and dryer with less bells & whistles. Think plane
vanilla, the less cycle options, the more reliable the machines will
be. Some of the chips in these machines cost almost as much installed
as a more modest machine. My guess is that even a less costly pair
will do the job. Think Murphy's Law.
Joe G
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are
horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.

I'd recommend you talk to a local dealer instead of the big box stores.
They can be very competitive on price and offer better service. Find a
dealer that does his own service. They know what brands to avoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 17:00:07 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"desgnr" wrote in message

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are
horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.

I'd recommend you talk to a local dealer instead of the big box stores.
They can be very competitive on price and offer better service. Find a
dealer that does his own service. They know what brands to avoid.

We have a dealer locally who sells virtually all the big brands - and
we bought the Samsung midline units (front load) at their
recommendation. 3 years and not a speck of trouble.
Abouit $75 less than any of the big-box stores.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2010 11:57, GROVER wrote:

Consider a washer and dryer with less bells& whistles...

Six years ago I bought a Fisher and Paykel top load washer because I was
impressed with its simplicity. To top it off, it was eligible for an
energy saver rebate. I haven't had any trouble with it. I don't
recommend their overly complex top loading dryer; it's a solution to a
non-existent problem. If the washer does a good job spin-drying the
load, there's less for the dryer to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 09:30:54 -0400, "desgnr"
wrote:

I am moving & need a new Washer & Electric Dryer.
When i go to Lowe's,Homedepot,etc. & read the reviews they all are horrible.
I can't find one with a good review.
So i thought i would ask here.
Any recommendation's appreciated.

I have Whirlpool, no serious problems with them for about 19 years.
Kenmore is usually decent. Select large/super capacity with as few
features as possible to save $$$ in the long run.