Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Horizontal studs

Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Yes, that is pretty standard with platform framing. Top and bottom plates
and in the center, a fire stop. They are often staggered along the center
to make nailing easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Yes, that is pretty standard with platform framing. Top and bottom
plates and in the center, a fire stop. They are often staggered along
the center to make nailing easier.

Back in stone age, we just called the row in the middle 'blocking'. It
doesn't really act as much of a fire stop (other than maybe for a
burning outlet in that stud bay), since if the room is involved, the
whole wall will light off anyway. Fire stops are between floors, or at
the edge of a ceiling in a balloon-framed house or basement, to keep
fire from propogating into a vertical chase. The one in the middle of
the wall is to stiffen the wall. Common in a tall wall, often omitted in
an 8 foot wall unless it is long and doesn't have other walls teeing off
from it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 8:27*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Yes, that is pretty standard with platform framing. * Top and bottom plates
and in the center, a fire stop. *They are often staggered along the center
to make nailing easier.

ummm....double top plates?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 7:55*am, wrote:
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Just an FYI...

If it's horizontal, it ain't a stud.

A plate? Perhaps. Blocking? Maybe.

But a "Stud"? Nope.

Studs be vertical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 7:55 am, wrote:
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Just an FYI...

If it's horizontal, it ain't a stud.

A plate? Perhaps. Blocking? Maybe.

But a "Stud"? Nope.

Studs be vertical.

Around here they're called "fire stops" and they're a pain
in the buttocks when you have to install new wiring.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 May 2010 14:47:05 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 7:55 am, wrote:
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Just an FYI...

If it's horizontal, it ain't a stud.

A plate? Perhaps. Blocking? Maybe.

But a "Stud"? Nope.

Studs be vertical.

Around here they're called "fire stops" and they're a pain
in the buttocks when you have to install new wiring.

I have them in my garage walls (don't know about the house, yet). They are a
PITA, but I think I found the trick with the last 220V outlet I put in (dust
collector). I drilled through the plate from above, then up from the hole for
the box, using a flexible wiring bit, then used a fish-rod[*] from the top. It
was a piece of cake to hit the hole in the blocking. Of course it would be
harder in an insulated wall (real hard with the cellulose fill I have).
[*] a multi-piece fiberglass rod, sorta like a fishing rod, made for the
purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:47*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 7:55 am, wrote:
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Just an FYI...

If it's horizontal, it ain't a stud.

A plate? Perhaps. Blocking? Maybe.

But a "Stud"? Nope.

Studs be vertical.

Around here they're called "fire stops" and they're a pain
in the buttocks when you have to install new wiring.

TDD

If they call the horizontal blocking in the middle of the wall a "fire
stop" they are wrong - fire stops they aren't. Someone elsepointed
out that fire stops are at the top and bottom of walls (balloon
framing) and also pointed out why horizontal blocking in ther middle
of a wall does no good as a fire stop.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 7:55 am, wrote:
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?
Just an FYI...
If it's horizontal, it ain't a stud.
A plate? Perhaps. Blocking? Maybe.
But a "Stud"? Nope.
Studs be vertical.

Around here they're called "fire stops" and they're a pain
in the buttocks when you have to install new wiring.

TDD

If they call the horizontal blocking in the middle of the wall a "fire
stop" they are wrong - fire stops they aren't. Someone elsepointed
out that fire stops are at the top and bottom of walls (balloon
framing) and also pointed out why horizontal blocking in ther middle
of a wall does no good as a fire stop.

Harry K

I didn't say they were RIGHT! I said they call them that! GEEZ! 8-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote

If they call the horizontal blocking in the middle of the wall a "fire
stop" they are wrong - fire stops they aren't. Someone elsepointed
out that fire stops are at the top and bottom of walls (balloon
framing) and also pointed out why horizontal blocking in ther middle
of a wall does no good as a fire stop.

Harry K

Our local building inspector call them fire stops. YOU tell him to use
another term.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 1:55*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote

If they call the horizontal blocking in the middle of the wall a "fire
stop" they are wrong - fire stops they aren't. *Someone elsepointed
out that fire stops are at the top and bottom of walls (balloon
framing) and also pointed out why horizontal blocking in ther middle
of a wall does no good as a fire stop.

Harry K

Our local building inspector call them fire stops. * YOU tell him to use
another term.

Sounds like he needs to be fired.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 2, 7:55 am, wrote:
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965:
One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor?

Just an FYI...

If it's horizontal, it ain't a stud.

A plate? Perhaps. Blocking? Maybe.

But a "Stud"? Nope.

Studs be vertical.

Around here they're called "fire stops" and they're a pain
in the buttocks when you have to install new wiring.

Yeah, I still have a bunch of wires coming out of the wall above one,
and going back into the wall 6 inches lower. Some day I'll fix it, or
the new owner might.

TDD

Windows Between Studs? Erin Home Repair 22 December 15th 17 12:13 AM
Finding studs Richard Evans Home Repair 36 October 16th 08 02:51 AM
Moving studs Eigenvector Home Repair 9 May 8th 07 04:49 PM
Iron Studs Rick UK diy 9 November 24th 05 10:09 AM
Ball studs; Richard Hanley Metalworking 0 February 24th 05 08:10 PM