Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

Colbyt wrote:

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from Lowes. It is
much quieter and does a much better job.

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting the, uh, you
know...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from Lowes. It
is much quieter and does a much better job.

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting the, uh,
you know...

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin. Nor could it
handle more than one potato peeling.

This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings from 3 pounds
of potatoes.

I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from Lowes. It
is much quieter and does a much better job.

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting the, uh,
you know...

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin. Nor could
it handle more than one potato peeling.

This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings from 3
pounds of potatoes.

I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.

Colbyt

Not trying to **** you off, but why would you put so much stuff down the GD?
That stuff goes in the trash or compost.

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/pubs/625r00008/fs2.pdf

By dumping solids you're overloading your town's waste-water treatment
facilities or your septic system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from Lowes. It
is much quieter and does a much better job.

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting the, uh,
you know...

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin. Nor could
it handle more than one potato peeling.

This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings from 3
pounds of potatoes.

I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.

Colbyt

Not trying to **** you off, but why would you put so much stuff down the GD?
That stuff goes in the trash or compost.

Because I don't like rotting food sitting around the house. I don't like the
smell or the pests.

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/pubs/625r00008/fs2.pdf

By dumping solids you're overloading your town's waste-water treatment
facilities or your septic system.

Nonsense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:37:56 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, wrote:

wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
I think you are the nonsense.

But you don't think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

I dissagree.

Just quickly scan the PDF doc. Back in the 70s when I was still trying to
figure out what I wanted to major in, I took some waste-water treatment
courses at NMSU. I changed my mind about my major but I did manage to learn
some things about the subject.

I put a small trash can with a lid by my backdoor for kitchen waste. The
city comes by each week to pick it up for compost, but we pay a lot for
garbage. It would be just as easy to throw it in a covered trash can. BTW:
The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I
take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the
dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely
against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD
because starches will eventually clog the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:44:57 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

I did.

Back in the 70s when I was still trying to
figure out what I wanted to major in, I took some waste-water treatment
courses at NMSU. I changed my mind about my major but I did manage to learn
some things about the subject.

I put a small trash can with a lid by my backdoor for kitchen waste. The
city comes by each week to pick it up for compost, but we pay a lot for
garbage. It would be just as easy to throw it in a covered trash can.

What has that to do with the price of oats in China? You pay a lot for
garbage pick up, likely because you have union or government (or both) workers
picking it up. I paid a lot when I lived in the NE, too. Enough that it was
cheaper to take it to the "dump" myself. It was still more expensive than
"full service" garbage collection is here. ...from the city, too. You're not
going to find that waste in your garbage can.

BTW:
The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I
take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the
dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely
against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD
because starches will eventually clog the system.

More nonsense. If the plumbing is done correctly a disposer isn't going to do
anything harmful to the plumbing. If you have trees in your pipes, well...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

sigh So I guess that's nonsense too.

[...]

We pay a lot of taxes period. I live in a capital city so they find as many
excuses as they can to pick our pockets. The point I was making (not very
well) is: I'd compost if they didn't pick it up. Austin is so stupid. They
pick up all our recyclables and store them and then they have to pay to have
them taken away because they didn't tie the recyclers into a workable
contract. Of course we pay for their mistake. I swear my city utility bill
goes up every month.

BTW:
The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I
take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the
dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely
against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD
because starches will eventually clog the system.

More nonsense. If the plumbing is done correctly a disposer isn't going
to do
anything harmful to the plumbing. If you have trees in your pipes,
well...

Well....I see you're set in your ways. Good luck with all that. The last
plumber I talked to just confirmed what I learned in class and what I've
heard from other plumbers in the past. But I'm sure you know better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"JimT" wrote:

Not trying to **** you off, but why would you put so much stuff down the
GD?
That stuff goes in the trash or compost.

Question...

May be moving form Midwest to Arizona....

Will a compost pile work well in desert southwest where
so dry?

I don't have a lot of composting experience but I'm sure it would. You do
have to add some water so you'd probably have to add more. Compost heaps are
pest attractors. If you have a lot of compost it can get out of hand
quickly. One thing I've learned is if the city will p/u yard waste (better
to just mulch grass clippings) let them do it. If I started another compost
pile I'd be absolutely sure it was sealed away from mice etc...... I prefer
to go to the nursery and buy compost. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:21:48 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

.. .

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

What it said may be fine. What it didn't is another thing. Nothing is free,
as you lefties pretend.

[...]

We pay a lot of taxes period.

Who's fault is that?

I live in a capital city so they find as many
excuses as they can to pick our pockets. The point I was making (not very
well) is: I'd compost if they didn't pick it up. Austin is so stupid. They
pick up all our recyclables and store them and then they have to pay to have
them taken away because they didn't tie the recyclers into a workable
contract. Of course we pay for their mistake. I swear my city utility bill
goes up every month.

Replace them, or do what I did. Move.

BTW:
The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I
take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the
dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely
against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD
because starches will eventually clog the system.

More nonsense. If the plumbing is done correctly a disposer isn't going
to do
anything harmful to the plumbing. If you have trees in your pipes,
well...

Well....I see you're set in your ways. Good luck with all that. The last
plumber I talked to just confirmed what I learned in class and what I've
heard from other plumbers in the past. But I'm sure you know better.

I know enough to keep my plumbing in working order, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:21:48 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

. ..

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Snip

I haven't been here long enough to vote in a council election.

We're planning on moving when we retire. Move down to Victoria and buy a
house bigger than the one were in for about 1/4 of the price. Use the equity
for vacations and finish traveling the world. Austin is a beautiful place to
live and jobs here are plentiful. The housing market has yet to suffer and
there is a lot of good here for upwardly mobile people. Not a good place to
retire unless you like paying for everything under the sun. I honestly
wouldn't be surprised if we get a oxygen tax, which they are already, in a
round-about way.

BTW: In regards to your last comment. It's not just about your system. Do
some research. This isn't news. Common knowledge among people in the
industry.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:54:49 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

news

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

We stayed in the NE until I retired, then beat feet as fast as we could. The
NE is just *nuts*.

BTW: In regards to your last comment. It's not just about your system. Do
some research. This isn't news. Common knowledge among people in the
industry.

Again, you only look at the part of the equation others decide is good for
you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:54:49 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

news

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

I donno....If it's a conspiracy it's a damn good one. Ya think they are
artificially adding nitrates and phosphates into the waste-water so the
companies that sell chlorine can sell more to municipalities? Diabolical!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:19:39 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:54:49 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
news On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:21:48 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

om...

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Now you've gone completely nutz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Wow! You know how to look something up in Wikipedia. Nice job!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:13:19 -0400, willshak wrote:

wrote the following:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Take a trip down to your local waste water facility and ask, before you
make opinions.

Ours is able to do their job. Maybe you should replace yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:19:39 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

. ..

wrote in message
news:1bg6t55oi4l4t6p36d56n36i6llks9getr@4ax. com...
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:44:57 -0500, "JimT"

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

That was pretty ridicules. Chlorine is used to remove pathogens not nitrates
or phosphates. As soon as a chemist reads this he's going to nail me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

Every plumber I have chatted with over the MANY years on jobsites say the
same...Garbage Disposers are not just a waste of money but down right
damaging , ESPECIALLY on a septic system...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

[...]

I've talked to at least 2 (that I can remember) that said the same thing.
And, of course the instructors at the Waste Mgt. school said GD overload the
treatment systems. But, I was surprised that there is a treatment plant up
in MN that actually encourages the use of GDs. I'd think that would be the
exception. They use the sludge for bio-fuel. I couldn't help but think the
plumbers in that town must be busy.