Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from
Lowes. It is much quieter and does a much better job.

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting
the, uh, you know...

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin. Nor
could it handle more than one potato peeling.

This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings from 3
pounds of potatoes.

I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.

Colbyt

Not trying to **** you off, but why would you put so much stuff down
the GD? That stuff goes in the trash or compost.

Because I don't like rotting food sitting around the house. I don't
like the smell or the pests.

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/pubs/625r00008/fs2.pdf

By dumping solids you're overloading your town's waste-water
treatment facilities or your septic system.

Nonsense.

I dissagree.

Just quickly scan the PDF doc. Back in the 70s when I was still trying to
figure out what I wanted to major in, I took some waste-water treatment
courses at NMSU. I changed my mind about my major but I did manage to learn
some things about the subject.

I put a small trash can with a lid by my backdoor for kitchen waste. The
city comes by each week to pick it up for compost, but we pay a lot for
garbage. It would be just as easy to throw it in a covered trash can. BTW:
The last plumber I talked to said to not use a GD at all. He recommended I
take mine out altogether. I just use mine for the stuff that comes off the
dishes after scraping the large stuff in the trash; so I'm not completely
against them. He told me absolutely eliminate all starchy items in the GD
because starches will eventually clog the system.