Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to mount in ceramic tile?

I am finishing off the bathroom. I tiled all of the walls and the
floor. I am now ready to mount my shower curtain. I got the 'bow' type
that extends the curtain out over the edge of the tub, so it will need
to be mounted to the tile somehow.

I am not sure I can catch a stud behind it on each side.

What kind of mount do I use for the screws? Some sort of drywall
anchor or something like a butterfly anchor?

I do know I have to use a special drill bit for the ceramic as I was
inquiring yesterday at HD about it.

Thanks, BSA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 1:23�pm, " wrote:
I am finishing off the bathroom. I tiled all of the walls and the
floor. I am now ready to mount my shower curtain. I got the 'bow' type
that extends the curtain out over the edge of the tub, so it will need
to be mounted to the tile somehow.

I am not sure I can catch a stud behind it on each side.

What kind of mount do I use for the screws? Some sort of drywall
anchor or something like a butterfly anchor?

I do know I have to use a special drill bit for the ceramic as I was
inquiring yesterday at HD about it.

Thanks, BSA

There are special bits for drilling ceramic tiles. The problem is to
stop the bit wandering. To do this, stick a bit of tape on the tile,
nearly any sort will do & mark & drill through.
You can then use an ordinary tungstem carbide masonary bit. Have the
hammer action OFF, or the tile will break. Don't press on too hard
either, once the glazed surface is broken through, it will fly
through. Try to avoid drilling on a joint, the tile may chip or
crack.
If you miss the stud (sod's law says you will) you will need a hollw
fixing, there are lots of plastic ones about & use stainless steel
screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 5:23*am, " wrote:
I am finishing off the bathroom. I tiled all of the walls and the
floor. I am now ready to mount my shower curtain. I got the 'bow' type
that extends the curtain out over the edge of the tub, so it will need
to be mounted to the tile somehow.

I am not sure I can catch a stud behind it on each side.

What kind of mount do I use for the screws? Some sort of drywall
anchor or something like a butterfly anchor?

I do know I have to use a special drill bit for the ceramic as I was
inquiring yesterday at HD about it.

Thanks, BSA

I did precisely the same job a few months back. For better or worse,
I drilled into the grout between the tiles. Yes, the edges of the
tiles adjacent to the drilled holes did chip a bit, but the mounting
piece for the ends of the bar was plenty big enough to cover the
chips.

While this may not be expert advice, I had access to the wall behind
the shower at one end. ( I was able to pull a piece of tongue and
groove from the wall, adjoining room). My screw placement managed to
miss the stud, but got a piece of plywood behind the section where I
was screwing through.

At the other end of the rod, I drilled small pilot holes (again in the
grout), then used an oversized bit to get holes beig enough for robust
drywall plugs. When I was ready to tap the plugs in, I gave them a
good dollop of caulk before doing so. When this was set up, I
installed the end mounts for the rod, again adding a bit of caulk when
tightening the screw. This was just to ensure no leaks in the
mounting holes.

Mine is working fine so far.

For what it's worth, I did try to drill through a spare piece of tile
first before opting for using grout lines. I had a new bit designed
for tile, and still had real problems getting through it. The hole
was so nasty, I opted for the grout line. I suggest trying this on a
spare tile - if it drills clean, I would go through the tile, and you
may be able to guesstimate a stud location.

Cheers
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gwandsh" wrote in message
On Apr 20, 5:23 am, " wrote:
I am finishing off the bathroom. I tiled all of the walls and the
floor. I am now ready to mount my shower curtain. I got the 'bow' type
that extends the curtain out over the edge of the tub, so it will need
to be mounted to the tile somehow.

Umm...why on earth didn't you sort this out BEFORE you installed the tile?
You easily could have drilled holes, whatever BEFORE you put in the tiles.
Sheesh, this is DIY 101.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 7:55*pm, "h" wrote:
"gwandsh" wrote in message

On Apr 20, 5:23 am, " wrote:

I am finishing off the bathroom. I tiled all of the walls and the
floor. I am now ready to mount my shower curtain. I got the 'bow' type
that extends the curtain out over the edge of the tub, so it will need
to be mounted to the tile somehow.

Umm...why on earth didn't you sort this out BEFORE you installed the tile?
You easily could have drilled holes, whatever BEFORE you put in the tiles..
Sheesh, this is DIY 101.

Not really - my measurements are not that precise (a zillion tiles
with fitting in advance) plus I did not have the curtain bar since it
was special order, so I did not know the placement nor what the hole
alignment would be at all. I readily admit to being a novice, not an
expert, as you appear to be.

I'll keep that sage advice in mind for the next job I do another 20
years from now.

BTW, I opted for the butterfly anchor system with a 1/2" diamond drill
to fit it thru. If I do happen to catch a stud by some miracle, I'll
just use a regular screw thru the hole into the studding. I am a
little nervous about drilling thru 1'X2' tiles though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Apr 20, 7:55 pm, "h" wrote:
"gwandsh" wrote in message

On Apr 20, 5:23 am, " wrote:

[...]

====

It's not that big of a deal.

Sounds like you've got some pretty good advice but if you can use the grout
line. I've drilled holes in tile and then wondered why I just didn't adjust
and use the grout lines. If you're using large tile that may not be an
option. Getting it started is the hard part. Make a smaller pilot hole
first.