Posted to alt.home.repair
gwandsh gwandsh is offline

Default How to mount in ceramic tile?

On Apr 20, 5:23*am, " wrote:
I am finishing off the bathroom. I tiled all of the walls and the
floor. I am now ready to mount my shower curtain. I got the 'bow' type
that extends the curtain out over the edge of the tub, so it will need
to be mounted to the tile somehow.

I am not sure I can catch a stud behind it on each side.

What kind of mount do I use for the screws? Some sort of drywall
anchor or something like a butterfly anchor?

I do know I have to use a special drill bit for the ceramic as I was
inquiring yesterday at HD about it.

Thanks, BSA

I did precisely the same job a few months back. For better or worse,
I drilled into the grout between the tiles. Yes, the edges of the
tiles adjacent to the drilled holes did chip a bit, but the mounting
piece for the ends of the bar was plenty big enough to cover the
chips.

While this may not be expert advice, I had access to the wall behind
the shower at one end. ( I was able to pull a piece of tongue and
groove from the wall, adjoining room). My screw placement managed to
miss the stud, but got a piece of plywood behind the section where I
was screwing through.

At the other end of the rod, I drilled small pilot holes (again in the
grout), then used an oversized bit to get holes beig enough for robust
drywall plugs. When I was ready to tap the plugs in, I gave them a
good dollop of caulk before doing so. When this was set up, I
installed the end mounts for the rod, again adding a bit of caulk when
tightening the screw. This was just to ensure no leaks in the
mounting holes.

Mine is working fine so far.

For what it's worth, I did try to drill through a spare piece of tile
first before opting for using grout lines. I had a new bit designed
for tile, and still had real problems getting through it. The hole
was so nasty, I opted for the grout line. I suggest trying this on a
spare tile - if it drills clean, I would go through the tile, and you
may be able to guesstimate a stud location.

Cheers